Hi started today

Options
schmetterling1
schmetterling1 Posts: 130 Member
Just wanted to say this is the first post for me ever.

I am very excited about joining this group. I have been involved in a gym for about 10 years. Last year I stopped going and started to do a routine at home. My weight has never been where I wanted it to be, and I always felt like I worked hard at the gym. I've done weight classes, done my own routine with free weights as well. My friend introduced me to MFP and I love it because I've always wanted to calorie count but it felt to overwelming. Now I just plunk what I eat into the computer. I'm 5'4" and started in feb. at 140 and so far I have lost 8lbs. I'm always reading lots of posts on here and came across strong lift. I have been doing the same routine for a year and I could use the change. This one looks good, and the sucesses I've seen from some of you girls are great. I would love to see some abs, or even a flat tummy again after having two children.

I do have one question. I have free weights including a bar. I do not have a bench so I use the floor. I do not have a bar rack for squats. Just starting out I can lift the bar on to my back but I don't know for how long. Does anyone else workout at home, and what do you use?

Replies

• pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I haven't officially started yet but bought some equipment and have it set up in the garage, so hopefully I can start this week!

Not sure what your budget is, but I bought a Weider 340 L bench from Sears.com, and also a barbell that came with a set of 300lbs of weights.

If you first go on ebates.com and sign up, there's a link on there to Sears.com. The nice thing about ebates is they give you a percentage back of your purchase! Plus, they had a coupon code for Sears that I used. Sears was having a sale on fitness equipment, so with the discounts it came out to $375, plus I'm getting back almost $30 from ebates for the purchase.

Other places you can try are Walmart and Target, but I don't know if they have any well-known brands.

More experienced people here probably have some better ideas for you, but if you were thinking of buying equipment, Sears was pretty good.

Good luck!
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You may want to check the april and may progress threads. There are some ladies that are doing cleans to get to get the weight up and over to squat.

ETA: I just can't think of who they are right now. I think xfitmojomom is one.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. We bought a bench and weight set. Then ended up order additional 35lbs & 45lbs with the grips holes. My husband ended up building us a squat rack and that works great. I can't imagine doing squats without one once you start pushing your max. I just ended up ordering some fractional weights so I won't have to go up 5lbs at a time since I'm starting to stall.
  • schmetterling1
    Options
    snowstorme:I love how your husband build you a squat rack. That sounds so like my husband. Sometimes when we go out shopping together (mostly pre children times) I would see something I liked and he would say "oh I can build that" most of the time he didn't but that is a different topic.

mamamudbug: Yes thats how I get the weight up for a squat. Learned that one doing weight classes at the gym. I would be one of the girls that could lift the most in the class. Here I'm one of the little lifters.
  • mamamudbug
    Options
    It's awesome to me that you know how to do clean. I don't and I'm nervous about trying on my own.

Snowstrome: 128 pounds! You rock woman!
  • schmetterling1
    Options
    Hi pinkita, It seems like we both are starting out here. My weights and treadmill I use are from craigslist. When I stopped going to the gym and wanted to workout at home my husband didn't want to spend to much on something that I would quite on. I have been using this equipment for a year now. Maybe I will be able to convince him I need a sqaut rack. I also would like to be able to convince him to work out too. He's not fat but he hold all his weight in his belly area. Well if I can't see muscles on him I'll get some of my own.:tongue:
  • mamamudbug
    Options
    Keep an eye on craigslist for a rack. When you find one, find out how much it is new. Then you show prices to your husband and remind him you've been working out for a while. Then you tell him that even if you don't stick with it you can put it back on craigslist for the same amount and you'll get your money back :bigsmile:
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I started SL almost 2 weeks ago. I have some equiptment at home, but no squat rack or bench. I definatley would not be able to do this without those. i actually joined a gym for this very reason! I started it at home without the rack, but once the weight got up there i couldnt get the weight over my head to squat it. If you have a rack and bench you should be fine.
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    craigslist for our stuff. we have only been doing it a few weeks (and took last week off on vacation). We have a bench and adjustable rack.. we will get squat cage eventually.

the stuff from craigslist we got was under 200 bucks and it was a ton of stuff!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I bought my bench at a yard sale, it came with a couple of bars and weights. I've about outgrown it and require the gym equipment for squats, etc. I love the olympic bars so much more than my home crap. But it's good in a pinch and it only cost $50. I would imagine that a squat rack from 2 x 4's wouldn't be difficult to hammer together.

Either way, Mehdi recommends a Steinborn Lift if you have no squat rack. He claims that you will stall on the power cleans by the time you get to your bodyweight.

Here is the article on how to squat without a rack - http://stronglifts.com/squat-no-power-rack-steinborn-lift/

Here is a video of a Steinborn Lift - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qls96q4Phs4
  • schmetterling1
    Options
    Thank yo everyone for all the information. It has all been very useful. Hopfully I will be able to up my weights soon but for now I'm letting my body get used to the moves.