People amazed at our strength

Options
Arthemise1
Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
Let me preface this by saying that short women can be just as strong as tall women. It just seems that tall women can lift things, etc. more easily without having to be super fit. Am I off base?

Anyway, I'm just now getting into exercising, but I've always been pretty strong. I had a boyfriend amazed once that I could lift a huge TV all by myself. I didn't think it was anything special. Anyone else get that?

Replies

• andigurl513
    andigurl513 Posts: 19
    Options
    Lol-yes. constantly. I'm a 'big' (and quite FIT) girl at 6'1" and over 200 lbs. I get it. That said, I think i SHOULD be able to lift more than an "average" girl. I was doing deadlifts with a 110 lb barbell the other day at the gym and I thought this old man was going to fall out of his sneakers!
  • Mskraizy
    Mskraizy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've always gotten this since I was a young girl. I never really had been the "workout" type, but I was always the one lifting TVs, moving bed, grabbing heavy bagloads of grocery. It used to make me feel good and important when I was younger, now I wish people would carry their own stuff.:grumble: lol j/k
  • Betsybeee
    Betsybeee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've always been strong. I've been weight lifting for over a year and now I'm really strong! Love it!
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. Everyone assumes I am strong because I'm tall when in reality I am so weak! Which is something i am now working on :wink:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Friday night, wrestling my guy... surprised the heck out of him, I think. He said I was stronger than I look. We were actually pretty well matched.

...god damn that was hot
  • the_albino_1
    the_albino_1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My sister and I (6'2 and 6'0, respectively) are both strong and have always been the ones to have to carry heavy loads. I wasn't ever sure if it was a height thing or a family thing. (We were breed tall and big... my bro is 6'4, my dad 6'7, and my mother 5'10)
  • Cori1975
    Cori1975 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hahaha yes! When I was a kid I was the one rearranging mine and my sister's bedroom (we had bunk beds that I would take apart and put back together, lol), I'd move furniture around the house for my mother and I could always squat more than the rest of the kids (well, until high school!). Since doing cross fit training I've gotten stronger and a few times at work we'd be waiting around for a maintenance guy to come move a box or a desk ... and I'd get super annoyed and just grab it or move it myself (a big no-no for safety but heck, I am an impatient girl!).
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! I'm 5'10" and my long-term bf is 6'7" (just like your parents) I wonder if we'll have 6'2" daughters too :)
  • the_albino_1
    the_albino_1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    @Cori - lol I totally understand! I hate waiting around for a "guy" to come and carry something that I can do just as easily.

@Vera - You never know, you might have tall daughters like my sister and I! (I just realized I am the shortest of my siblings... thankfully it's hard to call a 6 foot tall woman names for being the shortest)