Just thinking about it 2 days later...

Options
sdrawkcabynot
sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
Still makes me cry. If you have not seen this video yet - grab your tissues and watch it.

It's 10 mins, but so worth it. Definitely tugs at my heart strings and kicks my tear ducts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR9gyloyOjM

Replies

• kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Tony, thanks for posting this link.

It's heartbreaking to watch, but it really goes to show that in arguably the world's most advanced superpower is in fact still a 1.000.000 years behind in some areas.

I think the gay marriage issue is 100 x more important than it gets credit for. It's not just about two men or two women getting married, but about the equality we deserve, to be recognised as more than just friends or roomies, to have our rights recognised in life and in death.

Luckily my husband and I are legally wed. We may not technically be able to use the word "married" but at least our civil partnership affords us exactly the same rights as any other married couple in the UK. But it's not that long ago that the situation was exactly the same in the UK as it was for Shane & Tom in the USA.

I know some folks think, "I'm not really interested in politics" but if you are gay I don't know how you can afford not to be. I hope that someday, the USA will truly be the land of the free and afford all its citizens equal rights. :flowerforyou:
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Tony, thanks for posting this link.

It's heartbreaking to watch, but it really goes to show that in arguably the world's most advanced superpower is in fact still a 1.000.000 years behind in some areas.

I think the gay marriage issue is 100 x more important than it gets credit for. It's not just about two men or two women getting married, but about the equality we deserve, to be recognised as more than just friends or roomies, to have our rights recognised in life and in death.

Luckily my husband and I are legally wed. We may not technically be able to use the word "married" but at least our civil partnership affords us exactly the same rights as any other married couple in the UK. But it's not that long ago that the situation was exactly the same in the UK as it was for Shane & Tom in the USA.

I know some folks think, "I'm not really interested in politics" but if you are gay I don't know how you can afford not to be. I hope that someday, the USA will truly be the land of the free and afford all its citizens equal rights. :flowerforyou:

I think this country is just too damn big, Kyle. There's a price to pay for all this "diversity" and it's kind of ironic. The hardest aspect to deal with is the lack of organization and ability to work together among Democrats and other liberals (I'm an "other"). We are a huge majority compared to the Republicans and other conservatives, but can't raise as much money, because the wealthy are typically conservative and, in this country, money talks. Obama won, because the majority vote was too overwhelming for the other side to be able to swing the vote their way, even using the tactics they used in the previous election. We have one of the most easily corrupted voting systems on the planet and it was the overwhelming numbers that
    won the election - for once the outcome wasn't close enough to allow for cheating. For the first time in a long time, numbers talked instead of money. At this point, I can't even predict how the next election will play out....

You're right, though. This is not a time to be politically apathetic. The world I want to leave behind for my child and future grandchildren is not this one and I'll go down fighting for something better.
  • ymug2001
    ymug2001 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this video! I can't believe your own family can hurt you like this. This is the reason why I have not came out to my family, except for 2 of my sisters and one of them had a bad reaction like this. I wish people could understand our feelings.
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this video. As mentioned above, it was truly heartbreaking. I hope it works out for Shane... somehow. And that one day the marriages will be legalized all over the world so that I could marry my girlfriend...