Surrounded by sabotage

Options
Hello, Im new to MFP, but not new to the losing weight gamut. I try really hard to be as vegan as i can, unfortunately I live in a household with two meat/dairy eaters. I feel like the black sheep or something, alot of people just don't get it, or too busy caught up in their own ways to care. I guess I just have to continue to stay on the vegan road, and to hell with the haters. Sometimes I think people sabotage healthy efforts because they are afraid you will somehow become "better" than them or something. Or maybe Im just paranoid? haha, either way, I hope I can keep on keepin' on. :) JUST DO IT!! (thanks Nike)

Replies

• Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hold on, stay strong and steadfast in your beliefs (vegan or otherwise). You are doing the right thing for you, and for the animals by not contributing to the violence. It's hard, but so very worth it. Good luck x
  • jleach
    jleach Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's not easy being vegan in a family of meat eaters. Anyone who isn't already familiar with veganism sees it as an attack on their lifestyle. I try very hard not to judge what others eat and hope they will do the same for me. It's been 2 1/2 yrs for me and it's getting easier. The people around me have stopped acting like I'm trying to inconvenience them in some way. I think if you can avoid acting self righteous (some vegans have trouble with that) you're friends and family will come around. I would love it if my husband became vegan but I know that will never happen. We were carnivores together for 25 yrs. I'm the one who changed, so I make sure that I don't impose my beliefs on him. I think it helps if you can not get angry about it and just show everyone the attitude that your lifestyle isn't up for debate, it just is what it is and if you're consistent, they'll adjust.
  • charitywilkins
    Options
    hey hun, I don't know if you like to cook or not but the thing that has helped me the most has been learning to cook lots of amazing vegan dishes. I seriously go to the library and check out 5 or 10 vegan cookbooks and try a ton of stuff. My hubby and kids are not vegan (although they did a 30 day vegan experience with me and did fantastic!) but I cook mostly vegan at home for them and they are totally fine with it. And we are not talking about "oh, they eat anything" people here so it has to be legit! We even had a Cinco de Mayo party last weekend and I made a ton of vegan dishes and everyone was great!

I can pass along my favorite cookbook titles anytime! The one I use most is Vegan Yum Yum but it is kind of fancy food, not so much day to day stuff.

For now, I am loving blogs too. I go to them a few times a week and use pinterest to "pin" recipies I want to try. My very most favorite blogs are maplespice.com, and ohsheglows.com. It can be hard because I have noticed a lot of books and blogs have a ton of sugar and crap in them, just no animals. I feel like being a good, vegan girl means eating healthy, not just animal free!

Bests!!
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above that it really helps if you learn to cook great vegan food. It doesn't have to be fancy or complicated, just needs to taste good:) That way you know you always have something to eat and the other people see that vegan food is delicious and satisfying. I use blogs a lot as well, besides the ones mentioned I enjoy: Happy Herbivore, Peas and Thank You, Post Punk Kitchen, The Vegan Zombie, VegKitchen, Plant-Powered Kitchen, Healthy.Happy.Life. and Veggie Belly (phew that's quite a list). Good luck, I know it can be hard in a shared household, but even in my own house we are a mixed group. When I cook, I cook vegan and I don't get too many complaints:)