Free and downloadable RPG/MMOs -- revisited

Options
Sidesteal
Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
Hey all,

A while back I made a similar topic but I want more opinions and additionally I'd like to clarify my criteria.

I'm looking for recommendations for completely free RPG games (doesn't necessarily need to be MMO but that's preferred).

1) No cost to DL and no need to buy a box from a store.
2) No server cost or monthly fee.
3) Browser based is fine too.

Thoughts?

My assumption was that DnD online was free to play but cost to buy in terms of either purchasing the game itself or downloading it. Am I wrong on that?

Also, I'm just looking to kill time until D3 release, hence my crappy criteria :)

EDIT: Anyone out there playing Runes of Magic? Thoughts?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Lotro
    Lineage II
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    DDO is free to play but the areas you can go are limited unless you pay.
    Everquest is free to play up the first 17 expansions (currently on the 18th) but race/class combinations are limited as is useable loot.

Torn is a decent browser based game. www.torn.com
  • jl622
    jl622 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Vindictus...Totally free, unless you feel the need to buy unnecessary extras, like underwear, tattoos, makeup, etc... I know I have posted this game here a few times, I need playing buddies, I only know one person that plays.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    LotR:O and DnD are F2P but some content requires you to buy it. Allot of people buy 1 month subscription before they create a character to unlock a bunch of stuff. After the subscription ends the account is between a payed account and free account so you get access to some stuff, and not other. Works good imo.
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I play DDO and LotRO -- both are free to download.

Yes, you have to pay to unlock content. LotRO is very bad in this regard--I feel that it inhibits the gameplay experience every time the little Turbine coin pops up on my screen. You can't get the entire experience (such as certain maps) without spending points. I've heard it claimed that you can earn enough Tubine points in the game to pay for everything, but it will take awhile.

DDO isn't nearly as bad; most people give me giftcards for Christmas and my birthday, and I spend it on extra quest packs and custom armor kits; very rarely on items or account upgrades (except extra character slots and a shared bank account). You don't have to buy any extra quest packs, as there are plenty of other quests to do, and not all of the adventure packs are created equal. (I have friends who tell me which ones are worth buying.)

Summary: LotRO is very in your face about "you must buy that!" while DDO is more, "Eh, you don't need that unless you want to add more quests."
  • tai3
    tai3 Posts: 17
    Options
    No one has mentioned Kingdom of Loathing (aka KOL)? I haven't played in years, but it often gave me a giggle.
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Not really an MMO fan, personally, but if you have a Steam account (completely free) they now have an entire section where you can find free-to-play games, the majority of which are MMOs.
  • Wilson336
    Wilson336 Posts: 76
    Options
    If you want to switch it up a little from sword and sorcery, Hellgate is free to play and is an RPG/shooter hybrid set in an MMO world.
  • proudgamer
    proudgamer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Runes of Magic is a pretty sweet WoW like game.

You may also want to check out MMOSite, you can filter by free to play and you can preview screenshots and check reviews before downloading anything.
  • Onipaa808
    Onipaa808 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Star Trek Online and Fallen Earth F2P over Steam. STO is pretty good in my opinion
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Check http://www.mmobomb.com/ it is a pretty good site for free rpg/mmos etc games and giveaway for betas and such.