First Ride!

Options
Good morning everyone!! This is more of a nervous babble.. :wink:

Today, my husband and I are going on a long ride. A 4 hour ride. As I just got my first bike a month ago I am nervous. I'm excited though!!! We will somewhere along the way hit rush hour, bleh. Then, it will be night by the time we get there. Two things I really don't like and haven't had much expierence with as of yet. Oh, and I get nervous going over 60!! I am a bikers mess! lol This was my idea and he asked if I was sure I am ready and I truly think it will be ok. Good exposure for me to get use to riding as I only have put on 150 mile so far. We also plan on taking breaks too, so I don't get completely wiped.

So, after my nervous babble my question IS how were you on your first long ride??

Replies

• greeneyes191
    greeneyes191 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Geez, it's been so long ago I guess I don't really remember. I'm sure I was nervous too because I took the ride solo. I do remember thinking I was in deep *kitten* if something happened to me out in the middle of a nowhere cornfield. I rode about 100 miles that first trip. That was alot for me on a little 250 Suzuki which was my first bike.
    I hope you have a great trip. Don't be afraid to stop if you get tired. Keep an eye on the road and all the idiots around you.
    Keep the rubber side down and don't ride faster than your angel can fly.
  • TinaTurtlez
    TinaTurtlez Posts: 86
    Options
    Thanks! He keeps reminding me that it isn't a small ride and it's over a 100 miles. Not to mention I also have a 250. Nothing like getting my riding season done in a day! lol :laugh: I know my husband is nervous for me, but I know I can handle. I think. :smile:
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I remeber my first long ride I was 19, passed my test about 6 weeks and had my VT500E. Mum and i rode to Matlock Bath (about 300 miles from home) and back in a day... I didnt want to even LOOK at my bike again after that :grumble: Took from 6am to 830pm...

I have done many more rides since then and the trick for me is take a break every hour, just for 10 minutes, get off the bike stretch yourself out, have a drink or a snack to keep yourself concentrating. Give yourself plenty of time....

O/H and me now regularly do long rides now and I do have an Airhawk seat (because I'm a wimp) and my MP3 and I'm fine...

Having said that the little old UK is a mite smaller than you so our long rides may not mirror yours!!! But I can happily do 400 miles + as long as I have breaks... A a cuppa :drinker:
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    Have a great safe ride. I am sure it will be fine!

Had my first ride after 22 years last year, 70km along the coast, sunshine and warm. It was great and a great start to do more!
  • TinaTurtlez
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I honestly feel better about it. I just checked and it's about 155 miles maybe a little less. I definately want to take an hourly break. It's about 3.5 hours. Not too bad. I am just so dang happy that the sun is shining and it's going to be 75. I am excited. For some reason I do get nervous in traffic. We went for a local ride on Tuesday and of coarse I killed the clutch sitting in traffic and got nervous and the @ss behind me beeped. My hubby gave him a dirty look. :wink:
  • season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That happened to me on my new bike last week end totally having to get used to a new clutch! But that is the best way to learn in my opinion! Have a ton of fun!! I plan on riding alllllll day on sunday :)
  • ShadowriderNH
    Options
    Good Luck on your first long ride.

I remember my first ride out of town...It was last year just after I got my licence. I was a nervous wreck. We were meeting a friend and we both had to meet in the middle. We did back roads all the way there and way back so I would not have to drive in the dark we hit the highway for a bit...That was scary. I do not like anything over 55.

We have our big trip from here in NH to Niagra falls next month. I can not wait...We are mostly taking back roads and advoiding highways but will have to take highways a bit to make up time...They say 8 hour drive...We are going to make plenty of but stops between....

I hope we get a chance to get out out on ours this weekend again...The weather has been so crappy lately. Normally by now Hubby is taking his to work everyday...Helps on the gas...But he has only had a few days of work riding in.
  • TinaTurtlez
    Options
    :smile: Thank you everyone! The clouds rolled in.. sigh.. and the wind has picked up. I hate when it's windy.. but trying to be positive and it will be fun! Everyone have an awesome weekend!
  • 6swolcott
    6swolcott Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    my first long ride was from Ga to Conn about three months after getting my licence and finishing riding School, I was scared out of my mind, made it all the way to conn pulled into my brothers driveway and almost dropped my bike. I refused to let it lay down , because i hadnt just driving 1200 miles to lay it down. LOL riding back there in june last sept rode to MI, I actually prefer long rides to riding about town. Ive been riding 1 1/2 years and still stuggle with right hand turns. I just take my time , take deep breaths and break every two -three hours for gas and water. My wonderful hubby reminds me its only 6 two hour trips LOL let us know how it went be safe, ride your own ride, take your time and you will be fine.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    How was your ride?

Fantastic weather here yesterday, I just had no time for a ride. And today it is cloudy, windy and cold again. *sigh*
  • TinaTurtlez
    Options
    I am back and WOW! I am sore for sure, but I have expierenced every element and whatever else besides SNOW on the ride. lol Wind, extreme bugs, rain, cold, night riding, a deer, a jerk almost hit me, ran out of gas, (lol) and construction with the wavy road texture. That and the WIND was the absolute worst! At least I expierenced it and now I know!. It took us about 4.5 hours to get there and by car it is about a 3.5 hour ride. We stopped alot and going fast on a 250 on a semi expressway with wind was a complete challenge for me! Shwooo! I did it though and I would do it all again in a heart beat. Absolutely love it. The ride home was much better and it took us about 4 hours. I guess my motto was "Go BIG or go HOME!" ha.. I sure did. My husband after the fact told me he was thinking of doing an hour 1/2 ride for my first time, not the ride we took.
    I was determined and I love Galena IL. It was great!
  • tabngillysmom
    tabngillysmom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great Job! I am inspired and hope to make my first "long ride" in the next few weeks!
  • 6swolcott
    6swolcott Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed it and had a safe journey keep riding
  • TinaTurtlez
    Options
    You will do great! :smile: