Cord blood?

Options
chickybuns
chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
Anyone doing this? I have recently got information about it from my insurance and it seems like a good idea. I'm not sure of the cost yet, anyone know? My insurance offers a $200 discount. It's just one of those things I would hate not to do.

Just looked it up and cor cell costs 2075, but I think they offer payment plans. There is also a $125 annual fee for storing it.

Replies

• ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That goes on my list of things I didn't know I needed to think about! haha

I live in such a small town, I wonder if that is even available around here?

I have heard that if you do store it, they have to cut the cord right away, and I know some parents like for the cord to stop pulsating before the cord is cut, so the baby can get everything he/she needs out of it. (I can't remember the benefits I've read about that at the current moment.)

This is the blog post I just recently read on this subject:

http://www.healthytippingpoint.com/2012/05/babyhtp-35-weeks.html
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of money but it would also be priceless if necessary, sort of like insurance. I'm going to do more research into it.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I only knew because my insurance sent me information about it! they send a kit to you, and you take it with you when you deliver, the doctor collects, and it gets sent to the bank where it is stored. I still have to look into it a little more also.
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Wickedmeowmer Posts: 157
    Options
    I used to do PR for a place who did this and DNA storage for your kid getting kidnapped or something. Honestly I felt like a dirty shark the whole time I was in it. They prey on mothers love/worry. Please PLEASE research it carefully (the chance your baby will need it really is 1:100,000) Also, even if your kiddo gets leukemia, etc it is not guaranteed to work. They also have the stuff banked and its a little like bone marrow donations, someone else can be a match.

My opinion from my 6 month tenure in the 'biz'? Not worth it. Thats just me though.

If I had a family history of cancer? MAYBE. But yeah, its sharky fo' sho.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    We donated ours last time and plan on doing that again this time. It doesn't cost anything to donate & it can go to anyone who can use it. You just have to let the hospital and doctor know ahead of time that is what your wishes are.
  • 69margaux
    69margaux Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I want to do it but I have put it on my husband's task list for now. I'm too busy nesting. LOL
  • shelldevera
    Options
    I used to do PR for a place who did this and DNA storage for your kid getting kidnapped or something. Honestly I felt like a dirty shark the whole time I was in it. They prey on mothers love/worry. Please PLEASE research it carefully (the chance your baby will need it really is 1:100,000) Also, even if your kiddo gets leukemia, etc it is not guaranteed to work. They also have the stuff banked and its a little like bone marrow donations, someone else can be a match.

My opinion from my 6 month tenure in the 'biz'? Not worth it. Thats just me though.

If I had a family history of cancer? MAYBE. But yeah, its sharky fo' sho.

thanks for the honest reply. I was considering it also.
  • katkada
    katkada Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was completely wondering about this too!! Sounds like a good deal but I definitely need to do some research into this
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Certain populations are more likely to be helped by it than others, ie those with low bone marrow registry numbers, like minorities. As African Americans DH and I have decided to do it. We'll have it for our first born, for his sibling if he ends up having one, and even for us potentially. I agree the chance of needing it is low but we decided it's a cheap insurance policy and we are paranoid people :wink: . We will be paying $300/month for 6 months, then $125 a year through Viacord
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it!!! Seems like a great idea to me. Not sure if we will do it or not lol