I have a date :)

Showgirlbody
Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
I'm actually excited about this one. I don't get excited very easily. I never swoon, I never have unrealistic expectations. I met this guy last Sunday at a pub that he picked out and set up (yay!). We talked for 5 or so hours and only went home because he'd get really drunk if we stayed and we both had to let our dogs out. lol I met him on POF and he sent a nice intro and we didn't IM or text or talk really before we met which is unusual for me. I usually like to get some basics down so I know that it won't be awkward and conversation will flow but it was good, he had a lot to say. He is an active listener and asks questions and responds with more than one word answers. Very refreshing for someone that can hold a conversation that doesn't have to do with sex or only himself. He texted me a couple days after and said that he was excited and giddy because he can't get over how cool I am. :) Asked me to dinner for tonight. He picked out a place in Silverlake that I've never been to, a German restaurant/pub.

Honestly, it's just really nice that he takes the time to plan something. I always get the "we should hang out", "I don't know, what do you want to do" types and I plan, most often drive and usually end up with pizza and a rental. I'm very low maintenance but it's nice to have someone plan a date and pick me up and do all that stuff. He is 42 which is older than what I usually date, so maybe that is the difference. I had been seeing someone the past couple months who is basically like a child and wants everything when he wants it but is not proactive about anything and wants to be told what to do all the time. So, I can't believe I'm going out with a real man and not a man-child which is what I usually get. :)

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Congrats, have fun!
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    So excited for you!!! Hope you have a great time. Be sure and share details tomorrow!!!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    I always have a specific plan for my dates, so I'm curious why you get guys who are not planners. I thought most guys had to do some sort of planning.

More importantly, I hope things go well for you. This to me sounds like a 2nd date, since you already had that 5 hour get together.
  • Showgirlbody
    Yes, the first one did turn into more of a date. It usually is a meet and greet or "one and done". So this is a 2nd. I rarely get asked on real dates, people hang out. It's all I've ever known. I think Los Angeles has it's own rules. I think besides New York City, dating in L.A. has to be the worst. A lot of narcissistic babies who live at home until they are 30 or actor/waiters (ahem, last one I dated). People don't have to date to get laid and we spend too much time in the car to want to be out on the scene much. I don't know. I get minimal if any effort at all when someone wants to spend time with me. And I don't want to seem like some of the LA gold diggers looking for free meals so I am too easygoing about it. I don't care if you plan ice cream parlor or picnic, just act like you want to spend time with me and not "watch a movie" and get in my pants. lol Sad that I'm excited that someone picked out a place and is picking me up like a gentleman. And he didn't jam his tongue down my throat or try to come over last time. He offered a handshake and I gave a hug.
  • DMZ_1
    Yes, the first one did turn into more of a date. It usually is a meet and greet or "one and done". So this is a 2nd. I rarely get asked on real dates, people hang out. It's all I've ever known. I think Los Angeles has it's own rules. I think besides New York City, dating in L.A. has to be the worst. A lot of narcissistic babies who live at home until they are 30 or actor/waiters (ahem, last one I dated). People don't have to date to get laid and we spend too much time in the car to want to be out on the scene much. I don't know. I get minimal if any effort at all when someone wants to spend time with me. And I don't want to seem like some of the LA gold diggers looking for free meals so I am too easygoing about it. I don't care if you plan ice cream parlor or picnic, just act like you want to spend time with me and not "watch a movie" and get in my pants. lol Sad that I'm excited that someone picked out a place and is picking me up like a gentleman. And he didn't jam his tongue down my throat or try to come over last time. He offered a handshake and I gave a hug.

1. What's wrong with dating in New York City? Every city has problems. There are things to complain about with dating in Dallas. I would think LA would be very youth obsessed and harder for women over 30.
    2. I like how you used my "one & done" term. :wink:
    3. Living at home in your 20s is very common nowadays. About 75% of new college graduates do a stint at home. This trend started big time during the dot com bust in the early 2000s, so it can't be blamed on the current predicament, but with half of new college graduates unemployed or underemployed, it has no stigma. And I fully expect this trend to get worse during the rest of this decade.
  • Showgirlbody

1. What's wrong with dating in New York City? Every city has problems. There are things to complain about with dating in Dallas. I would think LA would be very youth obsessed and harder for women over 30.
    2. I like how you used my "one & done" term. :wink:
    3. Living at home in your 20s is very common nowadays. About 75% of new college graduates do a stint at home. This trend started big time during the dot com bust in the early 2000s, so it can't be blamed on the current predicament, but with half of new college graduates unemployed or underemployed, it has no stigma. And I fully expect this trend to get worse during the rest of this decade.

I've just read in studies that NYC is brutal, at least for women. Way more of them. And LA is typically known for being bad, flaky mentality and long commutes. People don't even want to date further than 5 mi cause of traffic. It is youth obsessed to a point, but it's not all that unusual to be single, never married, no kids over 30--where it is in many states. Most of my friends are just starting to do all that. But the younger more beautiful people I'm sure get wined and dined a hell of a lot more. Rich ugly guys and young hot guys get their pick of the off the bus pretty girls. Dallas is a big city, too. I think big cities in general are hard with the fast lifestyles, but then small is hard if your pool is small. I don't know. People I know from other states seem to settle faster and are not in such an instant gratification way of life or extended adolescence like I've read about LA culture. I don't judge too harshly on living at home since the economy is so bad and it's so expensive to live here, but I do know many men with jobs who liked to live at home so they could spend their money on toys and gadgets and they let mom do their laundry.
  • BelMckenzie
    BelMckenzie Posts: 249
    Good luck on your date!
  • QueenNeesha
    QueenNeesha Posts: 3 Member
    Good for you! Hope you have a great time! :-)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    So excited for you, have fun and keep us posted!
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    GET OUT OF HERE, you are a disgrace to the "single peeps" group.

HAHAHAH jkjk thats sooo exciting and have an awesome time ;)
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Honestly, it's just really nice that he takes the time to plan something. I always get the "we should hang out", "I don't know, what do you want to do" types and I plan, most often drive and usually end up with pizza and a rental. I'm very low maintenance but it's nice to have someone plan a date and pick me up and do all that stuff.
    So, I can't believe I'm going out with a real man and not a man-child which is what I usually get. :)

Yay! So excited for you! And yes, I know what you mean about the "we should hang out" guys. Such a turn-off. Hope it goes as well as the first one!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    I hope you have a great time! Let us know how it goes!! :)
    I've just read in studies that NYC is brutal, at least for women.

I would think so too, same with LA. People move there to be famous, so the crop of really attractive people is higher!
  • DMZ_1
    I've just read in studies that NYC is brutal, at least for women. Way more of them. And LA is typically known for being bad, flaky mentality and long commutes. People don't even want to date further than 5 mi cause of traffic. It is youth obsessed to a point, but it's not all that unusual to be single, never married, no kids over 30--where it is in many states. Most of my friends are just starting to do all that. But the younger more beautiful people I'm sure get wined and dined a hell of a lot more. Rich ugly guys and young hot guys get their pick of the off the bus pretty girls. Dallas is a big city, too. I think big cities in general are hard with the fast lifestyles, but then small is hard if your pool is small. I don't know. People I know from other states seem to settle faster and are not in such an instant gratification way of life or extended adolescence like I've read about LA culture. I don't judge too harshly on living at home since the economy is so bad and it's so expensive to live here, but I do know many men with jobs who liked to live at home so they could spend their money on toys and gadgets and they let mom do their laundry.

I don't think NYC is as bad for women as it may appear on the surface. Women usually hold the advantage in the game, so even if there is a surplus of women, women will still find a way to find a man. The best women will compete well.

LA has more men than women. Women should run that scene.

Laundry isn't fun to do. But I do it. There are less pleasant household tasks.

Big cities are better than small towns for singles. You need a big enough pool to work with a single person. The last sentence will probably be more true for men than women.
  • Showgirlbody
    He came to my door with flowers! That has never happened to me. Really nice guy. We had a good time at the pub. Ate some bratwurst, drank some beers. He's sweet but not too sweet cause I am pretty dry and need to be with someone that can hang and let me bust his balls sometimes. I'm comfortable with casual and being like one of the guys but he still treats me like a lady, too and his willing to be a man. We'll see what happens. Going to the Renaissance Faire next weekend since we had mentioned last week that we liked fairs and festivals. It's weird being with someone a little older, and of course he does look older than the 30 ish year olds that I've been dating. Not quite my type but I am attracted to him. I just look pretty young and am unconvinced that I am as old as I am! He's really only 7 years older. This feels like my first real courtship. So strange but nice :)
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    So glad you had a good time. And future plans!!! Doesn't that feel wonderful??
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Awhhh! I'm so happy you had a good time.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    That's great, I'm really pleased for you :happy:
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Yay!! Happy it is going well! !
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Woooooo hoooooooo!! Can hear your excitement in your writing!! :bigsmile:

have the best time, hope he's a keeper :flowerforyou:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member