TRX for the Not So Athletically Inclined

Options
Yes, that would be me at this point in my life. I used to be a rather fit gym goer back in the day, but those days seemed to pass me by. But here I am now with my TRX flung over my bedroom door and feeling like a warrior when I feel that my strength is increasing with every rep. I choose the TRX because my local gym is overcrowded with the young & already fit. I'm not to keen on going in there and huffing away while I can do it in the comfort of my own home. It doesn't take any space and I can take it with me everywhere. No, I don't work for their company and I have no financial gain for creating this group. I'm just a 30-something that wants to get back in shape, but literally make my body stronger than it ever was before.

I currently have a knee issue that started after swimming, so I haven't begun running for my cardio. So far, I use my TRX every other day and use Hula Hooping for cardio =) I also to some pilates on days I don't do the TRX. In one week, I've dropped 2.9 kilo. That's not too shabby =)

My goal is to use the TRX as my main form of strength training and mix it up a bit with cardio.

It feels great when you can feel a difference each time you workout with the TRX. I can feel that I'm getting stronger and that makes my inner warrior ridiculously happy!

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on that one. I joined a gym recently but the only time I can make it in is during peak hours where you're waiting to use pretty much any piece of equipment. Trying to do a circuit training style workout that involves moving from one exercise to the next with minimal breaks in between? Good luck! And it's especially annoying when you're waiting for someone who isn't even using the machine for what it was intended for to finish up.

I own two suspension trainers (A Crosscore 180 and a Jungle Gym XT) and using them regularly is the only form of resistance training I've been able to stick with over a long period of time in my weight loss "journey." I've lost 117 lbs so far.
  • GloynByw
    GloynByw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Same here. Used to be fit. Not any more. Have started using the TRX straps at my local gym tentatively. I really like them. I want to get some for home now too.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Same here. Used to be fit. Not any more. Have started using the TRX straps at my local gym tentatively. I really like them. I want to get some for home now too.

I strongly recommend it. But look for a sale. IMO they're not worth paying $200 for, so wait until you can get a discount via amazon.com before you purchase them, or go with another brand (there are other brands of straps out there that are either better or charge less).
  • GloynByw
    Options
    What about the Rip 60? Any good?
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    What about the Rip 60? Any good?

The workout program that comes with Rip 60 requires you to have a kettlebell as well. The straps are good quality, but the handle is an awkward design that isn't as comfortable to use as a foot cradle (they did it to avoid legal action from TRX who has attempted to sue the makers of every other suspension trainer on the market for using the same basic handle design as them). The one real flaw in the Rip 60 is that they claim you can do rotational exercises with it that you can't do with a TRX since the strap is floating in a metal carriage in the center rather than fixed, but if you actually use this feature often you will shorten the life of your straps because it doesn't use a pulley and will over time wear away the straps. Also this prevents you from doing a lot of the more advanced exercises you can do with other suspension trainers, the ones that involve full bodyweight suspension (but this will only be an issue if you reach that level of strength--very few do).

IMO I would say only get the Rip 60 if you plan on going through the workout plan that comes with it (and be prepared to purchase a kettlebell as well). There are much better systems out there for similar prices. The only thing the Rip 60 really has going for it right now is that it's being sold at Wal-Mart, so you can walk into a store and buy one rather than buying online and waiting for delivery.

If your budget limits you to units under a certain price point, then here is my personal opinion/evaluation:

Best overall - Crosscore 180/War Machine ($250 MSRP)

Best $150-$200 - TRX if you're a beginner, Astone Fitness Human Trainer if you're an experience user with a more advanced fitness level. Human Trainer technically retails for under this price point but I put it here because there are some accessories you NEED to purchase for it that SHOULD be included but aren't, and if you throw them in it bumps it into this range. Also, with the TRX I would say if you're dead set on getting a TRX brand unit, spring for the TRX Force Tactical version which costs more. It uses heavier duty parts that don't wear out after a year, while the standard TRX has some issues. A lot of people who use theirs regularly have complained about having to replace theirs after roughly a year because the cam adjustments on the straps don't "hold" anymore. Tactical version won't have this issue.

Best $100-$150 - BodyBare Top Trainer ($129.99 MSRP)

Best $50-$100 - Lifeline USA Jungle Gym XT

Best under $50 - RopeInABag 3000 Slackline series ($49.99 from Amazon.com)
  • GloynByw
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the very comprehensive reply. Very informative and helpful. :)
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Another thing...

There are a lot of exercises on a suspension trainer that you simply can not do on a suspension trainer when utilizing the door anchor, at least not without making them extremely awkward and possibly compromising your workout. The Rip 60 DVDs have you attaching the straps to overhead structures rather than the door anchor, and unless you also do it that way, there WILL be exercises they do in the video that you have to modify. And unless you're a beginner, the modifications you end up doing to accommodate this may possibly bring it lower than what your fitness level demands.
  • happyvalass
    Options
    The videos on FitnessAnywhere, makers of the TRX, are the place to start. Go surf around their site for a bit, it is a great starting point. I have taught classes using the TRX for two years, and I still use their site as my starting point for every class.
  • amgibson555
    amgibson555 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is a free app for iPhones (not sure if it is available on other phones) called Bodyweight. It gives a lot of exercises, description and short video on each how to do them. Along with a handful of exercise routines.