What gym do you recommend, and why?

Options
yesthistime
yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
So until recently I belonged to 24 Hour Fitness. I primarily used the one at Westheimer and the Beltway but it wasn't open 24 hours (ironic!) so I would travel to San Felipe and Voss for late-night sessions. Anyway, I am so over 24 Hour Fitness right now but I am wondering about the other gyms that I see around town (LA Fitness, Fitness Connection, Lifetime Fitness, etc.) I am even interested in some of the specialized gyms I have seen/heard of, such as yoga/pilates studios, boxing gyms, and the like. Ooh, and do we have crossfit gyms in town? I'd just go to watch!

What are your thoughts? Likes and dislikes about Houston area gyms you've tried? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So I just tried a CrossFit Gym for the first time last night. I watched the class before me and was like oh hell, what have I gotten myself into. When I had my class (doing the same thing) I finished the workout and was exhausted, but it was FANTASTIC. My boyfriend and I are trying them for a month from a Living Social deal. I'm sure he'll continue after the month is over, but I probably won't (other goals to fulfill).

I am seriously not a fan of 24hr fitness, I used to go to the one on Westheimer @ Dairy Ashford. Before it moved I went to go have my "into personal training" and the trainer pretty much just put me down and ridiculed me because I had some weight to lose and overall made me feel like whatever I was doing was wrong and unless I paid him a lot of money I was never going to reach my goal. That put a bad taste in my mouth and then just other random made me swear off 24hr fitness.

Luckily the hospital I work at just built a free state of the art gym in the hospital (it's NICE) so I typically go to that to get in a strength training class. But since I'm training for a sprint tri I go to Bally's to use their pool. Bally's is decent, it's one of the newer clubs and is well maintained, but again all I use it for is the pool so I can't really say much about the actual gym. I like the pool!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I went to Anytime Fitness for about three seconds (gyms just aren't my thing) but objectively is was pretty nice. I had a proximity card to get in at any time and the rates were very reasonable (iirc). I used to go to Bally's back in the day and it was about the opposite of that one - more expensive, extremely crowded, and limited hours.
  • mslindafranco
    mslindafranco Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I honestly recommend the YMCA on San Felipe and Agusta. They have Les Mill classes and if you look in to Les mill they train and specialize in everything that works in fat loss and training muscles in one group of workouts to get things in. At this location they have tons of classes and the staff is wonderful. Instructors are great an the answer any ?'s you have. They continously go to train to keep teaching. I enjoy and have seen results here. 24 hour has les mill but not as much and I never seen them change things up like this place. Now membership is more than 24 hour it is 60.00 for single person and 73.00 for family but so worth it trust me. You get your moneys worth.
  • butterflymarks
    butterflymarks Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I take classes over at my neighborhood gym, the MAC (memorial athletic club). In southwest houston.

I absolutely want to marry and/or eat it. It's the best place ever. Classes of all sorts, for all sorts, and for all sizes.

It has a lot of different kinds of machines.

Friendly environment! There are so many different kinds of people here! Thin, bigger, older, younger, etc yet everyone get's along. I forgot my towel at a machine, and someone found me in the parking lot and gave it to me!

The trainers are really nice, even if you don't pay for their services.

Classes like zumba and yoga are so much fun, and if you're a woman, you get free access to Women's MAC across the street!
    Free babysitting for children is a plus if you're a parent.

There's nothing wrong with this gym.
  • geminigrl622
    Options
    I love Fitness Connection in Missouri City. The location is huge, the classes are awesome and they had a women’s only area to do treadmills, bikes and elliptical while watching a movie.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Lifetime fitness at CityCentre. I love it there! It is three stories high and everything is super clean there are so many activities. The cardio and weight training areas are huge, and even during peak times it doesn't seem crowded. The locker rooms are huge and gorgeous as well.

It does cost a bit more, but for me its worth it. The fact that its so nice makes me want to go there more.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership now because my apartments' have a gym and yoga studio that is super nice and we also have one for county employees where I work. One summer when I was home from law school I went to Lifetime Fitness on. W. Lake Houston and it was awesome. Everything you could want and more. I went to one in Chicago one time and it was almost exactly the same except the pool area was much smaller. I could spend 6 hours in the gym when I went there swimming, working out, laying out, and eating lunch. I'd go back there if it wasn't expensive.
  • Fit_SailorsWife
    Fit_SailorsWife Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love the YMCA. It has everything I need!
  • UUZennie
    UUZennie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Snapfitness is my gym of choice. It's inexpensive ($35 a month for single $45 for couple) actually 24 hours and very close to me in Meyerland. It's on Chimney Rock just North of Braeswood.

It's very small but it has tons of machines and free weights. There are no showers and the changing room is tiny. Sinc eit is so close to my house none of that matters to me.

They do have tv's and lots and lots of variety of cardio & weight machines and a sizable free weight area.

I woudldn't join if you need to shower before you walk out the door but a towel on the seat and a short five minute car trip is fine with me.

:-)