Decided to come out to my 8 year old daughter today

Options
ymug2001
ymug2001 Posts: 41 Member
I decided I would talk to my 8 year old daughter today because I wanted her to know the truth. When I told her about my relationship she said mom that doesn't matter to me if you are happy but I noticed in her eyes that she felt sad or something so I asked her wht was wrong and she just kept telling me nothing. After a while she just started crying but she will not tell me what is bothering her. I felt bad because I don't know what to tell her or if I did wrong in telling her. I just thought it would be better to tell her the truth. Maybe she just needs time.

Replies

• ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - that can't have been easy. That is not an uncommon response for kids, because there is a lot of questions about what that means for them.

There is a great book for teens and tweens written by a member of COLAGE. It is called Let's get this straight. May be worth a look. The COLAGE site also can recommend other books and resources.

Good luck, and thank you for sharkng your journey with us.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My kids were 5 and 8 when I told them. It's tough for them because they don't really understand what it means for them. Give her some time. She'll be fine in the long run.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My mom told me my dad was when I was 18. They were going through a divorce at the time. It took me a long time to accept. When you are a parent - your kids don't see you the same way they see other adults. Kids seem to always have the dream of the 'perfect' family where mommy and daddy are together, white picket fence, dog, whatever they have seen through their friends and t.v. and what they want and like. She needs some time to process. Does she understand what you told her? She could be scared that she is going to lose you. She could be confused about whether you still love her. There are probably some of what as an adult we would see as 'irrational' thoughts that she is sorting through too. Give her some time and keep talking to her. I can say that I would have preferred to know when I was much younger myself.
  • ymug2001
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this with me. It was very hard and I did tell her that she was the most important person here and whatever she wants to know or wants to tell me she can be confortable telling me. This morning I asked her if she would tell me what was bothering her and she just told me, nothing mom I'm ok. I asked her if it was just that it had surprised her and she said yes I think that is what it is. I'm hoping she will do better little by little.
  • ymug2001
    Options
    Congratulations - that can't have been easy. That is not an uncommon response for kids, because there is a lot of questions about what that means for them.

There is a great book for teens and tweens written by a member of COLAGE. It is called Let's get this straight. May be worth a look. The COLAGE site also can recommend other books and resources.

Good luck, and thank you for sharkng your journey with us.
    Thank you I will look into this book, I think it will help her
  • TransTina
    TransTina Posts: 82
    Options
    Such a brave, brave decision.

Everyone knows in my family except my daughter. (she is 16 and doesnt live with me). Everytime I have seen her since I started to come out, I have wanted to tell her. I admire you for your bravery.
  • ymug2001
    Options

Everyone knows in my family except my daughter. (she is 16 and doesnt live with me). Everytime I have seen her since I started to come out, I have wanted to tell her. I admire you for your bravery.
    Thank you, it was a hard decision because I was scared of her reaction but I just thought it would be better to tell her the truth.
  • TransTina
    TransTina Posts: 82
    Options

Thank you, it was a hard decision because I was scared of her reaction but I just thought it would be better to tell her the truth.

Definitely, and you will never be in my position.