Hits & Misses....?

Options
I was just wondering what you all try to meet your fitness/health efforts. Is there anything that you do that is a surefire way to succeed? Have you diligently tried anything in the past that was a complete failure?

Currently, I am following a primal/low-carb eating plan. I did something similar this spring and it brought me really good results within 3 weeks...but then I indulged here and there and now I feel like a blimp. Another one of my issues is that I just changed gyms and am having a hard time getting myself to the new one. Why you ask? For a few reasons: first and foremost is that since I have put on a few pounds I feel too fat to go to the gym (ridiculous, I know!); Secondly, I saw my ex-boyfriend there once, and I sure as heck don't want him to see me in this condition (shallow, I know!); Thirdly, the boot camp classes they offer are way harder than the ones I was doing at my previous gym...so instead of being the one that was "one of the better" students I now feel like I stand out as one of the "worse" students.

Would like to hear any of your thoughts on your own experience!!!

Replies

• marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have just been watching calories in (what I eat) and calories out (exercise). I chose not to do a special diet so that when I reach my goal weight I feel I will be better prepared to maintain that weight (this is my hope, anyway).

Becoming truely addicted to exercise has probably been the key change that has helped me be sucessful. I am not eating terribly healthy stuff, but try to make better choices and stay near my calorie goal. I suppose as I get closer to my goal weight, I may need to pay more attention to my diet - watching more than just calories (like saturated fat and sodium).
  • pfordne
    pfordne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also feel that I do better when I am counting the calories in and out. I also tend to eat smaller, more reasonable size portions when I have to record. I still eat cookies once in a while though. My basic diet is to try and include more fiber and protein, but I do not cut out carbs. They are good for our bodies.

I joined the Y and working with a personal trainer a month ago has really helped. The trainer helped get me going and she also assured me that I am doing great. I completely understand feeling like the slug in the fitness class. I had tried going to some fitness classes this summer and actually cried in a kickboxing class. I was sweating so much so maybe the instructor couldn't tell. The instructor is very peppy and works the class hard. I felt her "encouragement" to push myself harder only made me feel bad about how I was barely keeping up. I shouldn't have taken it personally, but I quit going back to the classes for a while. I'm glad that I am working out again. I have only been to a couple fitness classes because they don't work with my schedule. Mostly I am doing the treadmill, elliptical, and weights. Building muscle is great though it makes the "losing weight" slower as the muscle is building up.

Stick with whatever you choose to do. If you can find a workout partner that would be great. I need to find one (do you want to workout in Kearney?). Also, let go of judging yourself.
  • CGianunzio
    CGianunzio Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately from what I have experienced and researched not every type of diet/eating plan will work the same for everyone. Since my start date of April 18, I have experienced good results completely removing any unnatural sugar from my diet. I purely get sugar from fruit and protein shakes. The reason for this is because the body burns up all of the sugar before it starts to break down and process body fat. The more sugar you digest the less body fat you will burn when working out. That means not pop, no candy, no doughnuts, etc

You have to be careful with carbs as well. From what I have researched, when carbs are broken down in the body they are processed the same was as sugars and some carbs are even broken down into sugars amazingly enough. In my opinion carbs are an essential part of a diet especially if you do more vigorous workouts as opposed to light workout. I myself like to push the pace so I eat more carbs than someone who may not exercise as vigorously as myself.

With that said, protein is where it's at. I will always go over my protein limits because I know my body needs it to heel especially when I have weight lifting and cardio days ahead of me. I follow the same philosophy as former Denver Bronco football play and hall of fame linebacker Bill Romanowski. He preeches the benefits of having lots of protein in the diet. If you would like more information you can find it all over the internet. I get most of my protein from shakes, chicken and turkey. I would stay away from eating red meat and pork more than once or twice a week each due to fat content.

By doing this I have lost 14lbs since April 18 and the weight continues to fly off. Be sure when you exercise you change it up. Tony the inventor of P90X is so right when he states, "It's all about muscle confussion." Without muscle confussion the body will get used to the same exercise and eventually weight loss will plateau.

Hope this information helps. Like I said, this is working for me but it may not work for you but I highly suggest giving it a try.

Chris Gianunzio
  • schmittie01
    schmittie01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For me I dont like to follow restricted diet plans because I feel like I fail more at them. I watch what I eat and make sure that its not processed foods and good for me. When traveling though, that is really hard. Didnt do so well this weekend and now feel like a blimp! I used to workout with a trainer for 3 years.. Now I get bored working out becuase i was so used to working out with someone and now I dont have anyone to work out with. Can't afford the trainer anymore and he moved his business to far from me. I love to run and I ran a 1/2 marathon 3 weeks ago and then a 5k this past weekend. I have a 10k in 3 weeks, a 5k a month from then and then another 10k in september. I'm trying to keep up with workouts and etc, but i get lazy and find other things then go to the gym... Wish i could have someone that was dependant on me being there, then i wouldn't skip the gym!