My mother's day gift was bike shoes & pedals!

Options
vtate75
vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
I am so scared! I know I NEED to use clipless pedals and bike shoes, especially since I am struggling with biking, but I am so afraid of falling over and getting hurt. I thought I wanted to "lollipop" kinds, but I did some research and decided I wanted the more standard type that clip in front to back (can't remember the brand). So, my husband surprised me with them yesterday. He installed them, and I wanted to go out for a ride but it was pouring rain all day. I hope to get to try them today....but, as I said, I am scared!:smile:

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    FWIW everyone has that moment where you can't get unclipped and you fall over sideways in what seems like slow motion. It's embarrassing but pretty much a right of passage. Have fun.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The slow-mo fall is a huge part of the pedals. It WILL happen but it won't hurt and will give you a good laugh! It happens to everyone. I remember watching my brother his first time in clips and after two hours he made a remark about how well he was able to un-clip. Guess what happened at the next stop sign? Yup, the slow-mo fall. It was great!

Good luck! :)
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yep! I fell! I'm sick today, but I decided to go for a short ride with my new pedals. I did ok at the stop sign....slightly awkward and clunky, but no fall. Trying to stop in my driveway, I fell right over. I got one foot out, but couldn't unclip the other. Ouch!
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've been using them for well over a year and occasionally don't get unclipped! At least it was in your driveway!
  • DavidTri
    DavidTri Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've had clipless pedals for two months now and touch wood I haven't fallen over. Now I've said it I bet I fall over the next time I'm on my bike!
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The first time I fell was actually in the LiveSTRONG challenge ride - Texas Hill Country with LOTS of wind, hills and riders that were a ton more experienced than I was. I got one foot unclipped and stopped leaning the direction that the foot was on the ground, unfortunately there was a very very strong cross wind that just blew me right over to the side that wasn't unclipped. Slow motion fall! It was slightly embarrassing.

On a random note, does anyone know why they are called "clipless" pedals when you are actually clipped into the pedal?