Trail shoes, socks, & gaiters

Options
AZTrailRunner
AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
Post your reviews, experience, and Q & A about footwear here.

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    Options
    My trail shoes:

1. INOV-8 Roclite 295 (295 grams) (For training and 10K - Half Marathon Trail races)

shoes3.jpg
    shoes4.jpg

2. FOR 'RACING' ON THE TRAILS:
    INOV-8 Bare-Grip 200 (200 grams) [minimalist shoes, take a little time to adjust to them]

shoes2.jpg
    shoes1.jpg

3. ANOTHER LIGHTWEIGHT RACER:
    INOV-8 Talon 212 (212 grams)

talon-212.jpg

4. INOV-8 Debris gaiter 32 - Gaiter and sock combined.

debris-gaiter-32.jpg
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    +1 on Inov8 shoes, their packs ain't bad either!
  • El_Rapido
    Options
    I love inov8 stuff, for the soft stuff I have inov8 mudclaw, great in mud and on wet rock. I have an inov8 lightweight backpack too, with the hydration bladder for the longer runs.

For the tamer trails and tracks I have Asics, gor-tex Lahar GT, fine on uneven paths but not great in the deep stuff.

I don't really see the point of gaiters on anything other than hiking boots, especially if you wear lightweight inov8's or walsh's etc as they're made to drain easily and aren't waterproof themselves. Why keep tour calves dry when your feet are soaking?
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    I love inov8 stuff, for the soft stuff I have inov8 mudclaw, great in mud and on wet rock. I have an inov8 lightweight backpack too, with the hydration bladder for the longer runs.

For the tamer trails and tracks I have Asics, gor-tex Lahar GT, fine on uneven paths but not great in the deep stuff.

I don't really see the point of gaiters on anything other than hiking boots, especially if you wear lightweight inov8's or walsh's etc as they're made to drain easily and aren't waterproof themselves. Why keep tour calves dry when your feet are soaking?

I wear gaiters to keep the rocks out. I never get my feet wet here in AZ. :smile:
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Gaiters are to keep the debris out, not keep your ankles dry. They also aid in keeping your shoe on your foot when you step in a big sucking mud puddle, or so I've found.

I currently run in LaSportiva Wildcats. I used to run in New Balance before they changed my model. Picked up a few newer NB models for cheap so I will be trying them out next season. I'll likely use the goretex ones for winter running only, as I find the gore only serves to trap the water inside the shoe once it gets in, rather than keeping the feet dry.

I also have a pair of Hoka One Ones, which I have worn on both road and less technical trail. I would wear them for a long distance trail race with moderate terrain only. Your feet are a bit off the ground so I worry about twisting my ankles. Although there are some "pro" runners around here that run everything in them.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    those gaiter socks are cool! I pretty much only run in vibram five fingers unless im snowshoeing. then i wear my boots or thicker soled running shoes.
  • trail_turtle
    trail_turtle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love my new Altra Lone Peak trail shoes:

altralonepeak.jpg

and my colorful Dirty-Girl Gaiters:

gaiters.jpg

I also have IceBug MR4 trail shoes for when it gets icy on the trails.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Any other suggestions for womens trail shoes?? Inov8 only makes one pair for women...and most brands seem that way.

I tried Adidas Kanadias and Nike LunarFly trail shoes but neither work well on wet leaves or rocks.

Any thoughts???
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    LaSportiva if you can find them has several different models for both men and women. So does New Balance.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at the Brooks trail shoes. Anyone tried those? I haven't yet but thinking about it.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/largeimage.asp?id=205989
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Reebok Realflex
    reebok-realflex-run-600x565.jpg

There were an impulse buy... for as much as I hate to admit it... I was sucked in by the commercial. I have a "beefier" shoe, so I was looking for a something a bit more "minimal" and these DEFINITELY fit the bill. They are probably the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. They are light, move/flex well, and grip well enough if you are reasonably aware of your footing. They offer little support or protection, but that's expected from a minimalist type shoe.

All in all I've been very happy with them. After longer/rougher runs my feet do get sore because of how little protection they offer.

If you're looking for something you can push to the limits without worrying/thinking about foot placement, these probably aren't for you. If you more or less watch your footing and want something light, minimal-ish, and flexible, these are a good option.

Vasque Opportunist
    PAAAAAOMMFHGCJIE_ButternutOilYellow.jpg

I bought these online having never seen them in person, never mind tried them on. They were one of those too-good-to-pass-up deals. Unfortunately, they are average at best runners.

Good protection, good support, very rugged. Not light by any means, but comfortable and dry out surprisingly quickly. Excellent forward/back traction, but virtually no lateral traction. They work for me as a secondary shoe because I'm pretty careful about my footwork, but I wouldn't recommend them for people who run wet/rooty trails.

Decent runner, better hiker.
  • sarahtbland
    sarahtbland Posts: 11
    Options
    Inov-8 f-lite 230

inov-8-f-lite-230.jpg

And the Vibram Five FIngers Bikalas

Love using both! I've also seen that New Balance has some great trail shoes out.