Dealing with eating at people's homes?

Options
redraidergirl2009
redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
So I just switched over to veganism. I found out that dairy was causing my chronic stuffy,sticky mucus face. TMI I know. So I just decided to try veganism for health reasons but after looking more into it, also for animal reasons.

Anyway. I am in college, but this week I'll be going to my parent's home for the summer and we have a couple of trips planned where I'll be eating at family's homes that don't know I'm vegan. Honestly my parents don't know that yet either, but they do know that I cannot have dairy now but me and my sister are going vegan together this summer.

But I was wondering, how do you deal with telling people you are vegan when you eat at their home or do you tell them? I haven't told many people yet just because this all happened over finals and I've been busy.

Replies

• bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in suggestions on this topic. Hopefully there are some folks out there with ideas. I've become vegan in the last yr and was vegetarian for over 20 yrs. Friends and family make vegetarian foods for gatherings in addition to their regular planned foods, but having to say I'm vegan has me avoiding a few things. One thing I'm thinking of avoiding is this summer--a planned gathering that happens twice a year with a group of families that has gotten together for a couple decades. I'd just rather stay home than deal with the constant explanations--or having to feel like a pesky burden to the group.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I would just eat before hand and then at there place eat a side dish or two if possible and if questioned just tell them you ate some before you came. Besides that you may have to tell them your allergic to milk products and became vegan to combat your allergic reactions. They seem to understand that more than your companion towards the abuse of animals. People make me sick.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Well, often I just make sure that I take something with me that I know I can eat a lot of and other people will enjoy. Sometimes i'll take two dishes...It's been my experience that people don't really notice what's on your plate unless it's empty so fill it up with salad and vegan sides and no one should notice a difference.

Also, I recommend checking out compassionatecook.com she has some great podcasts about talking about being vegan. It's still hard for me to tell people (I'm actually not vegan yet, but dairy free pescatarian) because people give me crap for it. One thing she points out is that meat is not neutral, why do we feel we need to apologize for NOT eating meat and animal products? We're not the ones putting dead animal on a plate and expecting someone to eat it.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You need to tell people if you expect them to understand what you're doing and why.

Most people will give you crap about it - for a little bit at least - but they'll eventually come around. And some folks will be more supportive than you can even imagine. My mother, for instance, asked me some questions and then became my vegan champion. She would also cook some extra vegan foods, or veganize the foods she was already making. I didn't expect it, but it's been nice. She has now been meat free for 6 weeks and tells me she doesn't miss it at all. I never would have thought that!

You just need to be polite about it - something I fully admit that I struggle with. I feel like people should just UNDERSTAND why veganism is awesome and I get upset when they don't get it. But the more polite and friendly and willing to explain it to people, the better it will be.

BILZPRINCESS - for the gathering, I don't think you should skip it. Honestly, people very rarely notice what other people are eating. If it's a BBQ situation you can still eat some veggies, some chips and salsa, have a beer or two. If you bring a box of veggie burgers for the grill and a pasta salad, no one will realize anything (if you don't want them too). But if you want, you can look at it as an opportunity to help educate people, as well!

P.S. Here is my go-to BBQ/potluck recipe. You can eat it as is, or put it over pasta/orzo/rice for a more filling salad

Black Bean, Corn, & Avocado Salad

Ingredients
    1 can black beans
    1 can yellow corn
    1 avocado diced
    1/2 c. cherry tomatoes quartered
    1/4 c. sliced red onion
    1 tsp freeze dried cilantro (or fresh chopped)
    juice of one lime

Directions:
    Rinse beans and corn in a colander to get off excess sodium and gunk until water runs clear.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl - gently so you don't smash up the avocado.

Let sit in the fridge for about half an hour so flavors combine.

Serve as a side dish, in a wrap, on top of a salad, or just enjoy it plain.

NOTE: This is great to bring to a picnic or BBQ. As long as you use enough lime juice and cover tightly the avocado won't brown.

Makes 4 generous servings

Calories: 310
    Carbs: 26
    Fat: 9
    Fiber: 11
    Protein: 9
    Sodium: 355 (this is the count without rinsing the beans & corn)
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I'm with Darkling_glory.
    You're going to have to tell them or else they won't have food for you and be prepared to explain why you're doing it.
    I'm sure your family will understand.

It can be frustrating at first because some people will make it a personal jab like you're doing it to cause inconvenience, but I've also had people SUPER interested and excited to learn about it.

ohsheglows.com has awesome recipes and you can google just about anything with the word vegan in front of it and you'll get loads of recipes.

=]
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I think there's no way to get away from telling your immediate family. You might even want to tell them that your body mounts an immune response (allergy) to eggs and dairy that makes you feel like you have a constant cold. Reassure them it isn't life threatening, but emphasize that it doesn't make you feel good (the truth). I have the same reaction to dairy that you do, and people seem to accept this better than when I say I'm avoiding it for ethical concerns. They take it as less of a challenge to their own dietary choices.

Now, I'm not sure about whether you were a vegetarian before, and people are used to that or not. If so, I think this should be really easy. Another thing most people appreciate is veg*ns pitching in with the food. Plus, it gives you something to eat, if everything is all meat and dairy. I just went to a Cinco de Mayo party, which was like that, plus massive amounts of booze. Once the booze started flowing, most people didn't notice anything about what I was eating. But, the host was apologetic before getting a buzz on. I felt bad about that, but I had brought a black bean & corn salad (much like Darkling Glory suggested), and loaded up my plate with that. It really saved me.

As veg*ns, and calorie-conscious people, we need to remind ourselves that social events aren't about the food for us anymore. It's about the PEOPLE, who we presumably love and/or care about. It may be a pain, but staying in contact with people in this culture will nearly always revolve around food. I have taken a hint about how to deal with these things by a former French teacher from Paris, who weighed less than a 100 lb. Then we had an end-of-semester buffet, she ate next to nothing--a taste of this and that. But, the things she did eat, she raved about. She knew how to act in festive situations without drawing attention to the fact that she was eating next to nothing. (By the way, I noticed all this because I was curious about the 'French Paradox'--how the French stay slim while eating rich foods). Anyway....there's something there that can apply to anyone who wants to be gracious, kind, and social at events with any sort of dietary restrictions.
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I always bring a vegan dish with me when I go to someone's house. I find it's polite and people can taste how delicious vegan food is. It's a great way to introduce people to vegan food, gives you something to eat, and it's kind to bring something.
  • alicenadams
    alicenadams Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters that you should tell them and still go and enjoy yourself. I always bring a dish with me. My son has allergies so I make sure it's something the both of us can eat. Even if I just make a hummus wrap for us. Some easy things you could bring would be pitas, hummus, tabouleh. A lot of that you can find prepackaged at the store if you're in a rush. I also usually bring vegan chocolate chip cookies. My family raves about them!!

I use to catch a lot of flack from family at first, but last weekend I served an all vegan Mother's Day brunch for my parents and in laws. They all said everything was great!! It takes time, but stick with it!
  • busymommyx3
    busymommyx3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi this is something I have struggled with as well. I have had some negative experiences from telling people about my decision to be vegan and so it has caused me to shy away from telling people. I tend to try and stay on the down low about it as much as possible and like other posters have mentioned either eat before hand or bring a dish of my own. I brought over a pasta/mixed vegetables and spaghetti sauce dish to my in-laws house at the last get together we had and it was really good along side a salad that my MIL made. I have found this issue to be the most complicated part of being vegan. The hardest for me was that we often have potlucks where I work or go out to lunch with everyone in the office. Before I came out as a vegan to all of them it was really challenging trying to stay out of the lime light with my choices. I finally just found it easier to be brave and confess my new lifestyle to them and although I have had a ton of questions and a few annoying responses from some of them. Now they all know and have accepted it and its not a big deal anymore for the most part, it really has made things easier. Good luck and congrats on your decision to become vegan, the rewards are most definately worth it!!
  • Jessicaarceneaux
    Jessicaarceneaux Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You need to tell people if you expect them to understand what you're doing and why.

Most people will give you crap about it - for a little bit at least - but they'll eventually come around. And some folks will be more supportive than you can even imagine. My mother, for instance, asked me some questions and then became my vegan champion. She would also cook some extra vegan foods, or veganize the foods she was already making. I didn't expect it, but it's been nice. She has now been meat free for 6 weeks and tells me she doesn't miss it at all. I never would have thought that!

You just need to be polite about it - something I fully admit that I struggle with. I feel like people should just UNDERSTAND why veganism is awesome and I get upset when they don't get it. But the more polite and friendly and willing to explain it to people, the better it will be.

BILZPRINCESS - for the gathering, I don't think you should skip it. Honestly, people very rarely notice what other people are eating. If it's a BBQ situation you can still eat some veggies, some chips and salsa, have a beer or two. If you bring a box of veggie burgers for the grill and a pasta salad, no one will realize anything (if you don't want them too). But if you want, you can look at it as an opportunity to help educate people, as well!

P.S. Here is my go-to BBQ/potluck recipe. You can eat it as is, or put it over pasta/orzo/rice for a more filling salad

Black Bean, Corn, & Avocado Salad

Ingredients
    1 can black beans
    1 can yellow corn
    1 avocado diced
    1/2 c. cherry tomatoes quartered
    1/4 c. sliced red onion
    1 tsp freeze dried cilantro (or fresh chopped)
    juice of one lime

Directions:
    Rinse beans and corn in a colander to get off excess sodium and gunk until water runs clear.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl - gently so you don't smash up the avocado.

Let sit in the fridge for about half an hour so flavors combine.

Serve as a side dish, in a wrap, on top of a salad, or just enjoy it plain.

NOTE: This is great to bring to a picnic or BBQ. As long as you use enough lime juice and cover tightly the avocado won't brown.

Makes 4 generous servings

Calories: 310
    Carbs: 26
    Fat: 9
    Fiber: 11
    Protein: 9
    Sodium: 355 (this is the count without rinsing the beans & corn)
  • Jessicaarceneaux
    Jessicaarceneaux Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I will be on vacation next month so I will not have a kitchen while I am out of a town so I can't really bring a dish :/
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Much of that family is old, super traditional mexican folk, they wont' understand. Oh well.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for years, and in my experience it works best:

1) to let people know what you are and are not eating
    2) clearly state that you do not expect to be catered to
    3) come stocked with lots of protein bars, smoothie mixes, seitan jerkey and nuts (so you're not just eating salad)
    4) show your gratitude if they do surprise you with acceptance and/or a vegan dish (or even if they don't...always show gratitude to your host :o)

and be confident, comfortable and happy with your choices...without ever being judgmental of others
  • runcrissierun
    runcrissierun Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to just be honest - but not preachy about it. My family was not supportive of me when I became a vegetarian in college, and even though that was a long time ago (and I became vegan 6 yrs ago), they are very supportive now. It can be shocking when you're not brought up that way. I find that meat eaters think we're going to think we're better than them because we are vegan - and I know I personally try to never portray that.

In the mean time - bring your own food, or even offer to help cook a dish. Also, do some reading and be preparred to be peppered with the standard questions like "where do you get your protein?" and things like that. If nothing else, they'll just be concerned that you're eating a healthy and balanced diet. It's up to you to educate them that you've thought through this choice and are taking care of yourself. Their acceptance will come in time.