Great MS reading

Options
I wanted to share with you a great book I've just read called It's Not All in Your Head: Anxiety, Depression, Mood Swings, and Multiple Sclerosis by Dr. Patricia A. Farrell. I found it very helpful and wanted to past along the information. It has some interesting information on not only what causes depression and anxiety in MS, but how to deal with it. It's really one of the best resources so far I have found that states mood swings ie depression, anxiety, impatience, anger, etc are not just a effect of having been diagnosed with a chronic disease, but rather a biological matter.

Also wanted to see if anyone else has some good reading they would like to share. I am always up for learning more. My Amazon delivery just arrived with my newest book, Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis and I am excited to get into it.

Replies

• Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    That sound like a good read - have you checked out the mssociety.ca mssocietycom sites for reading. They have a great library there that you can download or borrow from.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    wow, thank you so much! I have really been beating myself up dealing with impatience issues and thought it was just me! You have helped me breath a sigh of relief!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have just started reading : Reversing Multiple Sclerosis 9 Effective Steps To Recover Your Health by Celeste Pepe and Lisa Hammond.

I am not very far into it yet--as I read pretty slowly these days, but so far I really like what I am reading. I am always looking for any "outside of the box" kind of thinking as the "Standard" MS treatments don't seem to work well for me. This seems to be focusing on diet, vitamins, minerals, essential oils, etc.--much more natural ways to help your body achieve balance and health.

Will let you know more once I actually finish it.

Thanks for the post--always nice to know more info-and what I am experiencing or feeling is not just in my head! I am struggling with impatience right now too.
  • kkej1
    kkej1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Any moms with MS and young children? I have been using MFP since late March.
  • ladiebug
    ladiebug Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this book I'll be checking it out soon.
  • ladiebug
    ladiebug Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I look forward to hearing what you think regarding your book. I am kinda stuck, I really dont know which way to turn.
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    Thanks for all the recommendations! And yes I agree the MS society's website is a wealth of knowledge. I am so thankful for the society's resources. Just an update the new book I received the other day. Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis by Professor George Jelinek is hands down the best resource book I've read yet. He himself has MS and has written this book as a resource guide covering everything from all the current medications, new and old, FDA trials, MS diets and supplements,Vitamin D and the need for daily sunshine, mood disorder, experimental drugs, life style changes and so so much more. He is open and honest in reviewing everything, and backs it all up in his research. I've learned so much in just a few days with this book. It really should be THE book to get when first diagnosed. It would of helped to understand all the mass amounts of information your expected to suddenly know and give you the proper knowledge when choosing what course you take rather then just accepting the first suggestion of treatments. Even now, five years into my diagnosis this book is monumental for me. The information is priceless. Between this book and It's Not All in Your Head: Anxiety, Depression, Mood Swings, and Multiple Sclerosis by Dr. Patricia A. Farrell I feel better informed and quite hopeful and excited.
  • zenzoes
    Options
    wow, thank you so much! I have really been beating myself up dealing with impatience issues and thought it was just me! You have helped me breath a sigh of relief!!!:flowerforyou:

I know how you feel! I've struggled with quite a change in my mood/personality this past year. Depression is not something that was very prevalent in my life up until recent. And the impatience and anger is totally something new and frightening. I knew something was amiss but with each neuro visit I was told that MS does not cause anxiety or that they had never heard of it to. Keep in mind too my neuro is on the board with my local MS chapter! I've fallen into a weird place this past year, become more anti social, loss of empathy and distant and it's really affected me. I've never been so un like myself and it got the best of me. Reading the information in It's Not All in Your Head: Anxiety, Depression, Mood Swings, and Multiple Sclerosis by Dr. Patricia A. Farrell has been the biggest relief. I've missed me. And I know my friends and family have too. I feel confirmed and acknowledged and damn right motivated to change this path I'm on.
  • zenzoes
    Options
    I have just started reading : Reversing Multiple Sclerosis 9 Effective Steps To Recover Your Health by Celeste Pepe and Lisa Hammond.

Thanks for this info :) This sounds like something I will add to my next amazon order.
  • grantsmom08
    grantsmom08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow MS'ers
  • grantsmom08
    grantsmom08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Any moms with MS and young children? I have been using MFP since late March.

Hi, I have MS, newly diagnosed and have a 3 years old kiddo..
  • zenzoes
    Options

I am not very far into it yet--as I read pretty slowly these days, but so far I really like what I am reading. I am always looking for any "outside of the box" kind of thinking as the "Standard" MS treatments don't seem to work well for me. This seems to be focusing on diet, vitamins, minerals, essential oils, etc.--much more natural ways to help your body achieve balance and health.

Will let you know more once I actually finish it.

I am now reading this and so far am getting a lot from it. Thank you for the referral. I started to see this book referenced in others and also on others lists to read. Thank you Hoots! Let me know how you are finding this read.

I am also reading Why people don't heal And how they can by Caroline Myss, PH.D. and am thoroughly enjoying the read. This book like others I have read recently is not just dealing with your physical issues, but also your spiritual well being. I will post a littl more once I dive deeper into both.
  • zenzoes
    Options
    Another great book that I have just cracked open is from a very extraordinary physician and writer Deepak Chopra, M.D. The book is called Quantum Healing ; Exploring the frontiers of mind/body medicine. It is dealing with humanity's lost healing traditions and what I am just understanding from the first few chapters, the ability of mind/body healing.

I am enjoying this read much more then the previous Reversing Multiple Sclerosis 9 Effective Steps To Recover Your Health by Celeste Pepe and Lisa Hammond. Although still a great read, Reversing Multiple Sclerosis 9 Effective Steps To Recover Your Health by Celeste Pepe and Lisa Hammond wasn't up my alley completely. Though I did benefit from the read.

I've got a stack of literature that I am working my way into and will continue to post on for reference.
  • kawolk
    kawolk Posts: 4
    Options
    I wish the library would carry things like this for checkout
  • kawolk
    kawolk Posts: 4
    Options
    I have ms and a 7 month old