Best Road Bikes $1000-$1500 Range?

Options
Spokez70
Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
I have been riding my Specialized Rockhopper MTB a lot for the last few months, mainly on paved bike trails, with my longest rides so far in the neighborhood of 25 miles in 2-2.5 hours. I've lost 50+ lbs now (6'3"/269lbs) so I think I'm getting close to being able to fit on a road bike but I'm fairly confused on all the options and brands. I'm planning on getting one in the next few months so any suggestions on bikes I should be looking at would be helpful.

By the way it was pouring rain here yesterday and I was surprised how irritated I was I couldn't ride. Kind of an addictive little hobby.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Get shimano 105 minimum, or equivelant SRAM.

I'm a big fan of my Cannondale CAAD 10 5. My only gripe is the geometry feels a little aggressive.. but I'm coming from a hybrid bike.
    I also really liked the Felt with the "Z" frame. Less aggressive, more comfortable. Only comes in 61cm and smaller (i needed 63+)

The most important thing is to find a bike you find comfortable, and get a professional basic fit (About $100)

It's pretty much the best alum frame you can buy. I weigh 240 and the bike is rock solid.

For people in our weight range, it might not be a bad idea to start saving for stronger wheels too. I have a set of strong wheels as a backup for when I bend the ones that came with it.
    Though since I got them properly tensioned, they have stayed very true.
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I am 6’1” and about 248 and I am riding a Kon Zing Deluxe.

Like the previous poster had mentions look at Shimano 105/Ultegra components or the equivalent SRAM.

For myself I wanted a stiff frame for good power transfer, so I went with an aluminum frame with carbon fork. As well I am Shimano RS10 wheels 24 spoke wheel and 16 spoke front. I have just over 400 km on them and I have developed a small wobble in the rear, but I think it was from a hit the rim took 2 days ago.

Be sure whatever you choose get a good floor pump to keep the tires inflated, I have found the presta valves on the high pressure tires tend to lose air over time.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I went with a Trek Alpha 1.2. Sora Shifters, just below the 105 group. I did it incase I crashed (first road bike) it wouldn't be that expensive to fix...lol..well...if I did it all over 105 would be my baseline then work on up.

Your best bet is go to a bike shop, get fitted and try ALL of the bikes in your range. I like my Trek since its not too aggressive so still "roadable: and able to look around rather than bent over too far. Its all about your "needs". Mine were met, with the exception of shifters/derailleur's etc...

Don't rush into it, budget for accessories (flat repair kits, helmet, lights, clothes, clips, shoes, saddle bag, etc...)

My LBS was a Trek dealer so my options were quite limited. If I did it again, I would have found a dealer with a wider selection, then again, I am happy with my bike. I ride it work daily (15 miles total) and do 40 mile rides on the weekend. I love it.

Good luck in your decision. This forum is a good place to for reading up on bikes:

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/41-Road-Cycling
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    considered a cross bike? I love my CruX i can ride 20mph on the road with my 700x34 tires and jump the curb and go off road too
  • Tcormie
    Tcormie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is indeed addicting. To be honest frame geometry is pretty constant. You will have more relaxed set up ie: you sit more upright, and more aggressive where you are more in an aero position. You need to think about how you ride now and what you might like to do in the future. For us normal big guys the bike the tour de France rides are just nuts and at $10k plus are even nuttier. Carbon frames for anyone over 150 just is not safe. So aluminum or steel. I second the people who like 105 and SRAM Rival components, very solid, built to last. Wheels are a big thing as well, I ride at 240 lbs on 36 spoke Vuelta Corsa HD's (Nashbar.com) I ride a custom Gunnar steel frame built by waterford cycles here in the US as I am also 6'7" and just could not find a frame that fit, and before i get yapped at by steel haters the thing weighs in at 18 lbs. That being said I was lucky to be able to swap out components, from the old frame to the new. In your range take a look at Tomasso (Giantnerd.com) prices are very attractive a good range of sizes available, I bought one for my skinny little nothing of a wife and she loves it. Just remember race geometry not so comfortable, sport geometry more comfortable.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    @Tcormie - 6'7" and 240! Man I want to ride with you. I bet drivers don't yell at you and try to push you off the road...lol...

Your bike sounds nice, any pics? 18lbs...wow I have a single speed aluminum with carbon fork/seat post and its more than 18lbs..that bike sounds great!
  • Spokez70
    Options
    So I went to the bike shop today and talked to a sales guy- told him my budget was around $1500 and he showed me an aluminum frame road bike for around that- then in pretty much the next breath he was saying 90% of people buy carbon fiber frames and those who don't are right back in there unhappy and there is a night and day difference and blah blah blah directing me over to the $3000 bikes.

I really wanted to get into a road bike sooner rather than later- is a CF frame really something I can't live without? Or was dude just trying to make a better sale?
  • fatboypup
    Options
    So I went to the bike shop today and talked to a sales guy- told him my budget was around $1500 and he showed me an aluminum frame road bike for around that- then in pretty much the next breath he was saying 90% of people buy carbon fiber frames and those who don't are right back in there unhappy and there is a night and day difference and blah blah blah directing me over to the $3000 bikes.

I really wanted to get into a road bike sooner rather than later- is a CF frame really something I can't live without? Or was dude just trying to make a better sale?

unless you're going to be racing in the immediate future ..... you dont need CF
  • fatboypup
    Options
    if i was gonna be in the 1500 range for a roadbike id get something like this
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/secteur/secteurcompapexcompact

or you might get on a FUJI in CF in that price
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Giant Defy 1 - Nice and light weight! UK Price £999.99
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Giant, Trek, Specialized, Cervelo, Felt, Cannondale, Orbea all make great aluminum road frames. Are carbon frames great? Yes. Needed? No, especially as your first. Find a shop where the folks aren't pushy or try a different sales guy at that shop. It's a lot like buying a car so just think of the process like that and you'll go in with the right mindset. Sometimes you'll find sales guys willing to help and that listen. Sometimes you get the guys that push every single amenity whether needed or not.
  • Spokez70
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all

Funny- I'm pretty sure that's what I was looking at before he led me away. (Thinking of being brand-loyal since I do love my MBK)
  • mechyzulu
    mechyzulu Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When buying a road bike their is a few other things to take into account. the road bikes are split amongst their geometry's. Now I am not talking manufactures geometry I am talking class geometry's. One : aggressive ride positioning , this is the traditional flat back riding position. This is the riding position mostly associated with the Specialized Tarmac ,Cannondale CAAD series. The next are the bikes designed for comfort , the geometry is more relaxed , gentler on the shoulders the Specialized Sectuer and Cannondale Synapse. If you are coming off a MTB i would stick to these type of bikes.

The other things to take into account are if you have back problems , neck problems a straight back will aggravate the condition. Buy what is in your budget , you can always up grade components or if the bug bites buy a better summer bike and retire the other to winter.

The Carbon Fibre does make a difference , it does act as a vibration damper, but it does inflate the cost of bikes greatly. Main thing at this point is a bike you are comfortably on, fits your pocket and fits your needs. The level of componentry I would look ate the Shimano Tiagra level and up , for 2012 the tiagra gear sets have gone 10 speed 2011 are 9 speed.

Most important of all , get a bike that fits! if it is to small or big it will be a horrid riding experience!

Hope this help some.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    find another bike shop...stupid sales person directing you to something YOU did NOT ask for. Aluminum bikes are just fine, I am just below 300 and ride an AL bike. Try them all in your price range and buy what feels the best. Also be sure to have them tension the spokes. You can also go to www.bikeforums.net and check out the Clydedale/Althena group http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/248-Clydesdales-Athenas-(200-lb-91-kg)
  • Spokez70
    Options
    Thanks again for the great advice all.

I went back to the bike shop yesterday (after a lot of reading the night before last) and (a) got a much better salesman and (b) was better prepared myself with specific things I wanted to ask about and look at. Pretty much made up my mind I would stick with Specialized since I am very happy with my MBK- so figured it was between the Secteur and the Allez- and then of course what level of components. Right now I'm leaning toward the Secteur, which is the more comfort/endurance frame, and thinking Tiagra or Sram Apex for the components ($150 cost difference.) I was on my lunch break and it was raining but the sales guy suggested I come back when I can go for a ride and test out both frames and shifters.
  • Spokez70
    Options
    So the new bike came in today- just got back from picking it up and suddenly there is some crazy storm- lightning and raining sideways. Here are a couple pics anyway.

7523242532_c7fee8b0da_b.jpg

7523245262_7b1270369b_b.jpg

The sales guy was surprised by the shifters- they are Shimano Sora but redesigned for 2013 to be more like the Tiagra or 105 without the little inside thumb tab. The bike I test rode was a 2012 and completely different but I like these better.

7523239328_32524dae08_b.jpg
  • fatboypup
    Options
    mmmmmm i need me a 2013 bike
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Too late for the OP now, but I've just spotted this on BikeRadar...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/best-road-bikes-under-1000-32772/

Worth a look (as long as you take it with a pinch of BikeRadar salt) :wink: :laugh:
  • Spokez70
    Options
    Too late for the OP now, but I've just spotted this on BikeRadar...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/best-road-bikes-under-1000-32772/

"Verdict: Compared to the price-point competition, Specialized’s Allez Sport rides away with it"

Actually that's exactly what I got. :wink:
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Now go get some clipless pedals and cycling shoes. Those pedals are hideous. :P