Celiac and weight loss

Options
SierraJ86
SierraJ86 Posts: 6 Member
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to this gluten free living. I got diagnosed with Celiac disease about a montha ago and I'm still trying to get into the hang of things. I'm trying to eat healthy and gluten free at the same time, but I've noticed a lot of gluten free products have higher carbs or sugars than their gluten form. Has anyone else encountered this problem and what are some tips that helped you continue a health, gluten free lifestyle? I dropped about 10 pounds during the diagnosing phase because I wasn't able to eat much of anything without my stomach going ansolutely crazy on me, so now that I'm eating again, I'm gaining some of the weight back and I'd like to lose about 15 more pounds! Any tips on celiac/gluten free are greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
Sierra

Replies

• alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Try to eat as many whole foods as possible. Gluten free pasta is still processed and loaded with carbs, but try substituting bread with lettuce wraps or spaghetti with spaghetti squash some of the time. It's really delicious, and I think much healthier. Also, try quinoa instead of pasta, or baked oatmeal instead of muffins. Celiac disease can be a huge blessing - you have to be really aware of what you're eating.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Everything I suggest obviously needs to be filtered through your own list of intolerances/allergies. :)

If you look at low carb or paleo style eating those things both tend to be more or less gluten free. The basics of the diets are lots of vegetables, meats are good, depending on the diet and your own intolerances; dairy is usually GF (check labels on things like yogurt and ice cream.) Nuts, seeds, fruits...all gluten free (fruit can be high or low in carbs depending on the fruit in question).

It's when you start adding things that are made with flour (gluten free or not) that you start seeing the carbs go up exponentially. Cakes, cookies, pies, all the baked goods and pastries will be higher carb. Things with high amounts of sugar will also be higher carb. Potatoes and other starchy vegetables are higher carb as well but if your diet can handle them they are gluten free naturally.
  • SierraJ86
    Options
    Thanks so much to both of you! It's a bit overwhelming at first, but I think once I get into the habit of it, it will be wonderful. The lettuce wrap is a great idea...I would have never thought of something like that! Thank you! I have been researching the paleo diet because I'd heard it's very natural and I figured it might be closely related to gluten free. I'm excited to try new things and discover what gluten free things I like...like quinoa and stuff like that. I have only bought the GF sweets mix once, and that will be that...it was too sweet for me so I'm really kind of grateful I didn't like it too much because it just cuts that out for me! :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Hi - if you want to have a gander at my food diary feel free - All my meals are gluten free, Egg free, Soya and Dairy free but still have a varied diet. I dont tend to buy lots of gluten free foods - except from pasta ( and I get bread on script but have a supply problem at moment).

I've just starting using quinoa - the family prefer it if I add it too stir frys rather than as a side dish. I've just cut down portion sizes more than anything else and in the last 3 weeks have lost 11 pounds. Hope this helps.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    My diary is open as well. Grain free, vegetarian, dairy free. Lots of whole foods, some home made baking. Very little processed.
  • alyson820
    Options
    If you want to add me, you can see my journal. I'm gluten free, but I also have rice, dairy, beef, and pork allergies.
  • SierraJ86
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I do appreciate the tips. I'll take a look at your diaries. I'm finding myself eating the same foods over and over and I don't want to get stuck doing that! Quinoa as an added ingredient sounds like it might be good for me...I tried it as a side dish last week and wasn't all that impressed with it, so I'll try incorporating it into some meals from now on. Did you have your food allergies before celiac or after? I've noticed a lot of celiacs tend to also be casien or dairy free as well.
  • alyson820
    Options
    I used to have a horrible anaphylactic allergy to milk when I was a kid, but I've grown out of that. Everything else came after celiac's - there's probably some sort of correlation between celiac disease and food allergy, because it seems like everyone has them. I pick and choose my allergies though - I'll eat some rice, because a little bit doesn't bother me, but pork is a big one, and I eat it maybe twice a year. Beef I have in moderation, and never with rice or pork. I should probably just avoid them all together, but I've gotten used to what amounts my body can handle so I don't see the harm.

Quinoa is my favorite thing ever right now, but I don't eat it plain! I make a great macaroni and cheese with it, or I add tofu and peppers with some coconut milk and red curry. It absorbs all the flavors, that's what makes it so wonderful. But on it's own? Meh, boring.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am severely gluten intolerant (I won't pay for the Celiac DNA test so...) you can look at my diary anytime. I eat very gluten free. If it was processed in a facility that also processes wheat, barley, or rye it is not safe for me to eat. I stick to lean meats and vegetables, but sometimes I gotta have fried rice, bread, pasta, pizza and etc. GF soy sauce is LaChoy. For bread, I go with Udi's. They have amazing products. My rice pasta can be purchased at any health food store or in my case, my Walmart carries it. Pizza crusts are Udi's or Kinnickinick. (sp?) There is a bakery in Arkansas that specializes in GF along with other allergies. I go there once every 2 or 3 months to get some treats.

If I have to eat out, and I avoid this at all costs, I make the safest choices possible and take a gluten digest enzyme that helps combat possible food cross contamination. If I get slipped gluten, I get sick within 35-45 minutes and am down for a week or two. It is not fun. I have my husbands family reunion tomorrow so I have to survive that by packing myself lunch and a few snacks.

Larabars save my life. I always carry those around to keep extreme hunger at bay. I have no other allergies/intolerance besides gluten thankfully so it is a bit easier on me,
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Hi! I am severely gluten intolerant (I won't pay for the Celiac DNA test so...) you can look at my diary anytime. I eat very gluten free. If it was processed in a facility that also processes wheat, barley, or rye it is not safe for me to eat. I stick to lean meats and vegetables, but sometimes I gotta have fried rice, bread, pasta, pizza and etc. GF soy sauce is LaChoy. For bread, I go with Udi's. They have amazing products. My rice pasta can be purchased at any health food store or in my case, my Walmart carries it. Pizza crusts are Udi's or Kinnickinick. (sp?) There is a bakery in Arkansas that specializes in GF along with other allergies. I go there once every 2 or 3 months to get some treats.

If I have to eat out, and I avoid this at all costs, I make the safest choices possible and take a gluten digest enzyme that helps combat possible food cross contamination. If I get slipped gluten, I get sick within 35-45 minutes and am down for a week or two. It is not fun. I have my husbands family reunion tomorrow so I have to survive that by packing myself lunch and a few snacks.

Larabars save my life. I always carry those around to keep extreme hunger at bay. I have no other allergies/intolerance besides gluten thankfully so it is a bit easier on me,

I know its slightly off topic but I'm glad I'm not the only one who is so severe - cant eat out ( even mcdonald chips make me ill) and cant have anything if its in the same factory as gluten.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I too am Celiac. I eat a low carb/high protein diet. Basically I eat the perimeter of the grocery store, lean meats, fruits and veggies. I eat very little dairy as due to Celiac's I am lactose intolerant (but goat cheese is ok).

I really like Quest Bars (the one's with Stevia) for a nice protein snack. Another good bar is NOGII by Elizabeth Hasselback. YUMMY!

Feel free to friend me and ask questions as you need!
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Mcdonald's fries are not wheat free, so . . .

And fries anywhere can be gluten contaminated as there is generally not a dedicated fryer for them, so they are fried in the same oil as battered fish, chicken, etc.
    I know its slightly off topic but I'm glad I'm not the only one who is so severe - cant eat out ( even mcdonald chips make me ill) and cant have anything if its in the same factory as gluten.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Everything I suggest obviously needs to be filtered through your own list of intolerances/allergies. :)

If you look at low carb or paleo style eating those things both tend to be more or less gluten free. The basics of the diets are lots of vegetables, meats are good, depending on the diet and your own intolerances; dairy is usually GF (check labels on things like yogurt and ice cream.) Nuts, seeds, fruits...all gluten free (fruit can be high or low in carbs depending on the fruit in question).

It's when you start adding things that are made with flour (gluten free or not) that you start seeing the carbs go up exponentially. Cakes, cookies, pies, all the baked goods and pastries will be higher carb. Things with high amounts of sugar will also be higher carb. Potatoes and other starchy vegetables are higher carb as well but if your diet can handle them they are gluten free naturally.

^This. I tried a primal-type diet last fall, which naturally eliminated grains, and this is how I found out I have a gluten intolerance (but like karenwill2, I'm not paying for a test when I already know I have a problem). So my carbs come from veggies, fruits (not a lot, though, just my preference), sweet potatoes, and rice. White potatoes are gluten-free but tend to make my hungrier sooner (blood sugar spike + insulin resistance). I've also found if I have too many carbs (even GF), I do get some rumbly tummy issues back. So I don't really substitute gluten-free items - I just don't eat breads or pastas or cakes/cookies/pastries, etc anymore. I use lettuce for wraps/taco shells/buns, or just knife & fork it. Yes, it was an adjustment, but my gut thanks me for it. :smile:

Feel free to look at my diary if you want!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    basically I think we are all saying to stick to the lean meats and veggies. They are safe. I cannot go for long without splurging so my weight loss is slower. It is okay with me. I like rice a lot so I stick to more calorie counting. I do love protein.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options

And fries anywhere can be gluten contaminated as there is generally not a dedicated fryer for them, so they are fried in the same oil as battered fish, chicken, etc.

Hi in the uk they are but they also cooked potato wedges in the same oil and that's enough to make me ill.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    I stand corrected!

McDonald's claims there is no cross contamination either, that they are fried in a dedicated fryer.

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/special-diets/are-mcdonalds-fries-gluten-free.html

Hi in the uk they are but they also cooked potato wedges in the same oil and that's enough to make me ill.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten free, dairy free and egg free and have for about 2 years. I have an intolerance I guess. Very occasionally I will have a piece of toast without too many problems. By that I mean, I'm not running to the bathroom every few minutes. LOL

Today I got brave and took my own bun to Wendy's and bought a 1/4 lb single without the mayo and bun. What a treat. Hope I don't get the trots from cross contamination LOL
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    I stand corrected!

McDonald's claims there is no cross contamination either, that they are fried in a dedicated fryer.

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/special-diets/are-mcdonalds-fries-gluten-free.html

Thanks for that - I don't know what they do as its the only thing I ever eat there but was getting ill every time. Just stick to a coffee now and that seems to be OK. They do seem pretty good on other stuff as two of mine has a milk intolerance and they have a list that they can eat. The bonus is that I'm never tempted to have a take away so it easier to be good.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,173 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who's posted here. I also have to avoid every trace of gluten and it's very reassuring to know there are others out there with similar issues. THANK YOU.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who's posted here. I also have to avoid every trace of gluten and it's very reassuring to know there are others out there with similar issues. THANK YOU.

I agree with you that it is nice to know others out there who have to be so strict - it can be hard with friends sometimes explaining why I dont eat out or have take-aways. I'm quite happy to go to restaurants with family but don't eat any more as its just not worth the risks