Any pumpers out there?

Options
Hi I'm a first time Mom. My 3 month old never latched so he only takes my pumped milk in a bottle and we supplement with formula. I feel like my supply has dwindled since I returned to work. I really want to make it to 6 months, but I also feel ready to give up at times. Is anyone experiencing the same thing?

Replies

• LysieMae
    LysieMae Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you still want to do it, don't give up!
    I had some supply issues too, even though I don't pump full time. You can help your supply by drinking more water, taking fenugreek (both of which really helped me), or just by pumping more. Also, if you are exercising a LOT or not eating enough, I've heard that those things can affect supply as well. One of the best things you can do, really, is just to pump more, though. Even if you don't get a whole lot per session, you produce based on demand, so more demand will be met with more supply.

Good luck to you!
  • hilaurious
    hilaurious Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I pump at work 3 times a day. It stresses me out mucho.

I really want to make it to a year. I know how good it is for my daughter, and I enjoy that time with her.
  • buzymamagoals
    buzymamagoals Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm EBF and pumping for another mom (donation). Some tricks are to pump more and longer, drink a lot of water, fenugreek, milk thissel, use breast massage while pumping, add a small amt of olive oil to pump breast cones to simulate baby mouth (slides nipple better), and of course watch calories!
    It is great that you are giving your baby the best start with the best milk!
  • luvinmefirst
    luvinmefirst Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am an EP'er because my son was not able to latch. The great thing about it is that I know exactly how much milk I am making per day. Therefore, I know exactly how many calories I am burning per day pumping, which I love. Are you still pumping?
  • bblunds
    bblunds Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm feeding my 7mth old and I have been pumping at work for amonth. I pump twice a day I struggle with supply issues but it just stresses me out. So I drink tons and tons of water. At lease 12 8 ounce glasses and that has always helped me. IN fact when I pump less than 6 ou I know I have not been drinking a lot of wtater. Dont stress out mama, you can do it.
  • osieray
    osieray Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My son is 6 moths old and really good at nursing, though it was not always that way. For the first couple of months I had to use a nipple shield. I don't know if you have ever tried one but it helped a lot, (if you are interested you should be able to find one at Target). Was still really frustrating at times but eventually he learned to latch on. It may be beneficial to try a couple times a day to get your baby to latch on. While they may not get the hang of it this can stimulate more milk and make your pumping sessions more successful. Also in addition to the water you could try an herbal tea called mother's milk. I find it at whole foods and other health food stores. If you haven't already check out the leche leage web site they have lots of suggestions for increasing your supply. Happy Pumping!