What do you run with?

Options
So for long runs, what do you take with you? I have a camelback that I thought about filling with water and then of course some sort of electrolyte source of choice (no idea yet as I'm new to running and just now hit four miles). Next week I'll be doing five miles which will take me over an hour (I'm a snail), so I think it will be time to take water, electrolyte stuff, cell phone (just in case) with me. I don't see many runners with a camelback - is there a reason for that - will it weigh me down too much? Are there other options I should consider? I feel like running is this whole other planet that I'm trying to get to know. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Just to clarify what I'm asking - what do you put the stuff that bring into? Does anyone use a camelback? I already own one that has extra pockets for storage which is why I'm thinking of using it. But I never hear runners talk about using a camelback and I'm wondering if there's a reason for that - such as maybe it's too bulky feeling for a long run? I know some people use hydration belts. What works well for you? Has anyone tried a camelback - do you think it would work well?

Replies

• AuntNynah
    AuntNynah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've read runners talk about their camelbacks on Daily Mile, they get some love. I tried a Nathan hand held for the first time last weekend. It was okay, I have to get used to carrying something, but it's designed well to not be too big of a burden. It had a little pouch with just enough space for a Gu and my car key. My phone is on my armband with my music and GPS. I don't use an electrolyte drink, I haven't felt like I needed it yet, but 7 miles last week was probably pushing it. Particularly now that it's so warm, you will be sweating a lot more! For carrying more, if the time comes, I might get a Spibelt, I had one once a long time ago but seem to have lost it. But it was really comfortable.
  • sarahtbland
    sarahtbland Posts: 11
    Options
    As a dailymiler myself (holla!), I am a camelbak fan. I don't really carry anything for short runs (3-4 miles) but past that I don't mind using the camelbak. I carry phone and keys in mine.

Some runners have fuel belts that they prefer. I find stuff around my waist annoying. Some people have handhelds (what I use for short runs sometimes). It's just based on what you prefer. For me, I don't feel weighed down on long runs with my camelbak and that's what matters to me. It also gives me that option to throw a snack in their as well. And I love it for trail running with my dog because I can carry his water and stuff in their, too.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    For my long runs, unless it's over 80 degrees, I can go around 10 miles without taking anything extra, and that's about and hour and 40ish mins for me. But I've also just gotten used to that over the years, since I never had money for extra stuff, so I'd have to stash my goods around the trail or street I planned to run. Days when I'd get lazy, there was no stashing, so I'd just keep running. I actually prefer stashing, but that's not always an option, especially on backwoods trails or in some city areas (though you'd be surprised how many people don't notice or care if someone borrow their mailbox for a water bottle or banana).

I recently bought one of those fanny-pack type water carriers with a pouch for extra stuff (my boyfriend kept bugging me about taking my cell phone), and it works for the purpose. I can't remember the brand, but I got it at REI, and there's a frog on it. I would actually prefer a Camelback, and I definitely intend to get one eventually, because I like the feel of running with something on my back rather than hips. I just have to wait for now, because they're more expensive for the model type I want.

As for what I take, I usually bring Gatorade in my bottles, because I lose a lot of salt when I sweat, and bring things like jelly beans and a small cliff bar, if necessary. Usually, I just bring jelly beans, because they're tasty, and easy to eat.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I usually use a camelbak xct or my Innov8.

However last week I bought a Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab and now I can't see me running with anything else.

I don't listen to music when I run, I carry water, Torq Gels, Haribo, sometimes my phone and occasionally a camera. Also depending on weather a waterproof. Will also be carrying a bottle of electrolyte with the Salomon
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm also fairly new to running (started last year with C25K then Bridge to 10K)). When I started running a bit further, say over 7 miles, I started taking a water bottle and also when I got over 8 miles I started taking a few jelly babies just in case I felt like a snack (I tried an electrolyte drink and it made me feel funny).
    Now having got used to running a bit longer, I will take a water bottle if I'm planning to go over 10 miles and I have a waist belt with 2 little pockets - that has my keys, phone, 5 jelly babies, a tissue and my parkrun barcode. I find that I never drink any water or eat once I'm running - have got up to 12 miles now - but I like to have them there just in case!
  • EloiseRefocused
    Options
    I only bring a 16oz water bottle and my iPhone nestled in its armband so I have music and a GPS.
    However, after running a half last year, I have decided that once I start running over 6-7ish miles I might start packing a gel and bring a slightly larger water bottle with a light mix of sports drink in it.
  • cmh806
    cmh806 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For the short runs, I usually hydrate before and don't carry anything with me. That would be for runs 6 miles or less. On the 10 mile plus runs I usually carry propel or water.
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    I think there is nothing wrong with camelbak, if that's what you feel comfortable using. Personally I don't like having my back covered, especially living in Vegas where we are well over 100 during the summer. I normally just take my hydration pack that has a 20oz bottle. It's not a lot during the summer but I just plan my runs so I pass a convenience store or two. Other than that I might carry my nano but I try not to all the time since I don't like to race listening to music.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have a hand held nathan bottle I'll take with when required. However, I am quite lucky that most of my runs have water available on them and my running club will supply gatorade stops for long runs during warmer months. I have also carried money with on occassion and hit up the local gas station.
  • hoosmi
    hoosmi Posts: 18
    Options
    I bring a hand held carrier for my water bottle- that way I can bring a little bit of cash, my key, and maybe a gel. I carry that in one hand and my phone (for music) in the other. If it's going to be really hot or I'm going for a long time, I'll freeze a water bottle halfway full (leaving the top barely on in the freezer- that's important!), top it off with water or whatever, and put it in a little cooler on my front steps to exchange along the way.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty happy running without attachments, but when i need storage, i steal my husband's spi belt. it's great for carrying little things. as for the camel back, the only drawback i can see is the added weight and if it flops or rubs that might cause irritation on a longer run. the only way to know is to give it a try. :smile: let us know how it goes.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've only been running for about a year also, and have slowly been increasing my mileage. During the week, I'll do a few runs at 3-5 miles. I find that I typically won't need anything to drink, etc. for those runs, unless it is hot out (which it is now... I live in FL). For a run up to 5 miles, I carry my 10oz handheld Nathan bottle. It took a while to get used to, but now I barely notice it. For longer runs, depending on the weather, I bring my Nathan hydration belt. It has two 10oz water bottles, and a small pouch to keep my key, flashlight and an Energy gel or two. On weekends I run 10-12 miles, and I usually finish both water bottles, and I take the gel around mile 7 or so. I haven't used any sports drinks yet. I also carry my phone in an armband for every run.... regardless of mileage. I use the RUNKEEPER application to track my run, and I listen to music.

I have not used a Camelback, but I do know a few folks who have them... and they love them.
  • elizabethmae1214
    Options
    It depends on the situation for me. Ideally I like to run with as little on me as possible. I hate bulky clothes, and would run naked if I could! If I'm running in my neighborhood I would usually just slip my key in a pocket and go. Unfortunately I have had to start thinking about safety. I woman in my neighborhood was recently out walking her dog on the trails and was stabbed to death. So sad, and scary, and such a wake up call to me. Now if I'm not running with a buddy I take my phone and my ID. I have some clothes that have built in pockets but for the ones that don't I got the Nathans 5k belt. It's a bit of an adjustment to get used to but it gives me (and my mother) piece of mind that if something should happen I could call for help. As I'm also starting to increase my mileage I'm going to have to start carrying water with me soon, so I also got a Nathans bottle that is in a pretty comfy holder that stays on your hand. Luckily right now I can do a loop that takes me by either my work, my guy's house, or a water fountain in case I get overheated/thirsty.
  • dela1000
    dela1000 Posts: 62
    Options
    I also try to run with as little as possible. There is only two things I bring with me, my mp3 player and (most importantly) my Road ID on my shoe. (http://www.roadid.com/) I think this is a must for all runners.

For long runs I like to plan passing parks or schools that I know have water fountains. Since I don't like carrying anything with me, this keeps me hydrated, although I only do this for runs longer than 10 miles.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If I am going more than 7 miles I try to plan my run where I can stop for water (water fountain, even ducking into a fast food restaurant). I have a small fuel belt I have used a couple times - I thought I would hate it but it hasn't been bad. It has a couple small water bottles and I also pack a thing of fruit snacks or Clif shot blok. I almost always have my ipod strapped to my arm. Once I move I will be getting a road ID. The less stuff I have to bring the better!!
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I run with a 2 liter Camelbak Rouge. If my husband is running with me he carries that one and I wear an older 1 liter one. I only carry it on 5+ mile days. In the winter I would wear a hydration belt with one 16 oz. bottle. if I wasnt properly hydrated already, otherwise I can run farther in the winter without needing water.

I am trying to learn to run farther without water. I know alot of runners on here that run 10-15 miles without water, in warm climate and seem to be okay.

Edited to say that: I don't want to run consistantly without water, I just want to know that I could if I ever needed too. I believe everyone should stay safe and that means running where you have easy access to water or carrying it with you.
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • Emilit_uk
    Emilit_uk Posts: 87
    Options
    When i'm road running I carry as little as possible, although i have been caught out before on the first hot day of the year on a long run with no water!

My camelbak is a must on trail runs though, i am a lot more mindful of safety when i'm rumning coastal paths or out on the moorland. I also carry a phone, whistle and first aid kit, and something to eat! I'm not so worried about carrying weight on the trails though because this type of runningis more about the experience than beating a time for me
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I'm slow too, but IMO a Camelbak is overkill for any run under 2 hrs...I think they hold like 70 oz of fluid. I have a handheld 16oz bottle & that's always plenty to last me at least an hr & a half. I try not to drink too much unless my mouth gets super dry because then I'll be more likely to have to stop off & pee somewhere. If it's a lower intensity run I'll just carry water, but if it's higher intensity or longer than an hour, I'll carry raspberry lemonade or apple juice - something with carbs to replenish a bit.

I've read a few things about how you shouldn't have to drink a ton of water while running if you're properly hydrated overall before you start. I tend to agree with that...I've noticed I need to drink less if I've been "good" about my water-drinking.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For anything less than 90 minutes (except when it's extremely hot & humid) I don't carry anything (other than my RoadId, cell phone & a bit of cash), for my longer runs I have a Fuel Belt with a couple of 10oz flasks (usually just water in them) and my flask of homemade energy gel.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I use a small, streamlined 1.5L camelbak because I have medical issues with my whole stomach/gut area, so I need to keep my hydration and electrolytes very carefully balanced, and waist bands make runs a living hell (learned this the hard way...ugh).

If I’m going for longer than 1.5h, I’ll use my favourite electrolyte drink (eload). After trial and error, this is the only one that works for me (and my stomach gets upset with just plain water), so I’m screwed if they discontinue it. :laugh:
    If I’m going for 1-1.5h, I’ll just use water.
    If I’m going for less than 1h, I don’t bring anything.

As my body gets more and more accustomed to running (still reasonably new to it), I’m gradually increasing these times to try to reduce my reliance on having it along.

I also bring the Camelbak if I’m doing a half or full marathon, which makes me look like a total dork and adds a bit of weight at first, but it prevents my stomach from getting upset. I try to drink most of it in the first half of the race so that I’m not carrying much weight for the second. So far, no one has said anything snarky, but I'm still a middle-of-the-pack runner, so I don't draw much attention. :smile:

Other than that, I always have my Road ID, my cell phone and my Garmin. Sometimes I bring my iPod to listen to music, depending on my mood.