Recently Diagnosed With PCOS

Options
I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and I am still attempting to wrap my head around it; there is A LOT of information online. My doctor put me on Metformin to regulate my insulin levels (so far so good) but I wanted to reach out to this community for “tips”. So my question: “When I was first diagnosed with PCOS I wish I knew . . . “

Replies

• MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I thought I had replied to this last night. Lol. My mind has it's own sense of pacing.

I was diagnosed almost two years ago with PCOS. I started my period at age 9. And from then on, have had lots of issues. I've been to about 6 different doctors before getting the diagnosis. Mom would take me and they'd just tell her it was a heavy period, and put me off my feet. They of course started me on birth control, at age 11. Now who does that? I had some severe hemorragging problems one day here at work, and went to the hospital, my then gyno said it was a bad period and put me on bed rest for 3 days. About a week later I had fever, vommitting, severe stomach cramps...and went to a different hospital and they then said I had a ruptured cyst and had set up an infection because I was not properly checked and cared for. It was that dr who immediately ran tests on me and discovered I had PCOD as she called it. Disease instead of syndrome because it is not something that goes away, and it cannot be cured at this time.

I have always known something was not right. But finally, with the right doctors they now know that I have PCOD with IR and hypothyroidism. So I'm just a triple whammy!!!! Yay for me!!!

There's a lot about it I still don't know and find more out every day. I have learned to listen to my body, and when it's tired, I stop doing so much and rest. I just wish they had caught this sooner, because I keep thinking maybe things would be different. Who knows? I can wish, right?
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at age 17 with PCOS. Amenstrual, moody, weight gain, facial hair, among other symptoms. I was probably 30 lbs overweight. No one really told me at that time, I could reverse my symptoms by loosing weight. They just put me on birth control and that was it. I gained an additional 40 pounds and came to the point at age 25 that I was going to take back my body. I stopped taking birth control and started MFP. I've lost almost 30 lbs and now reversed many of the symptoms.
    As far as dieting I would say eat low carbs and sugar and make sure to get plenty of water.
    Add me if you need encouragement.