Depression and eating problems

Options
graceholly1
graceholly1 Posts: 5 Member
Hi everyone, I'm 18 and from the UK. I have suffered from depression and eating disorders (on and off) for about 4 years.

The past 2 years have been incredibly challenging (overcoming several health problems/illnesses, the death of my best friend, breaking up with my boyfriend, being rejected from my top university choice). My depression became severe about a year ago, and I have recently been put on citalopram 20mg to see if this improves my depression.

I have had some side effects, such as dizziness, fatigue, insomnia and suicidal thoughts. Is this normal? Can anybody share any experience they have had with Citalopram/ other anti-depressants?

Any support would be so helpful, right now I am the lowest I've ever been.

Thank you xx

Replies

• clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    it is not normal to have suicidal thoughts, contact your psychiatrist immediately. there are some side effects that you'll have and will most likely diminish over time, but suicidal thoughts are not one of them. this is a very serious side effect.

there are lots of drugs on the market for depression. it may take some time to find the right one. talk to your phsych doc. .

i'm sorry you are having such a rough few years, i can empathize. you are doing the right thing to go to a doctor to help alleviate the depression. if you can, i've found exercise has helped my depression greatly...

please call your doctor about the suicidal thoughts, there is no reason to have to suffer that.
  • anberlingasm
    anberlingasm Posts: 177
    Options
    Dizziness is a really common side effect of Citalopram, even at lower doses, but tends not to last for long. How long have you been taking them for? I took 20mg and found that after a couple of weeks, everything settled down. It's not unusual to be nauseous and unsteady on your feet for a fortnight while your body gets used to it (definitely true for me anyway).

Many antidepressants come with the warning that they may produce suicidal feelings before they start to show any positive effects. It's tough, but try not to let your thoughts weigh you down. Easier said than done, right? The way I dealt with it was by telling myself over and over that it wasn't real, it was just a side effect and it wouldn't last for long.

To answer your question, the effects you're experiencing are totally normal and should settle down. If they don't, I'd recommend going back to your GP to get their opinion. Try to give it a while to work, though, because switching medication repeatedly can be worse than not taking anything at all.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can take multiple tries of different anti-depressants to find the one that works for you. I experienced all the side effects you have mentioned except for the suicidal thoughts (which I had before, but not during use of anti-depressants) while on anti-depressants. Zoloft particularly made me nervous, shaky and unable to sleep. Celexa (Citalopram) worked the best for me, but it is different for everyone. Talk to your doctor about trying out another medication, this one just may not be the one for you.
  • graceholly1
    Options
    Thank you for your support, I've been on citalopram for nearly 3 weeks now, so hopefully the side effects will start to go.
    I'll go and see my doctor about the suicidal thoughts.

Thanks xx
  • anberlingasm
    anberlingasm Posts: 177
    Options
    If you ever want someone to chat to, just drop me a message. Sometimes that can help as much as the medication does.
  • graceholly1
    Options
    Thank you, that means a lot.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Dizziness could be a side effect of starting a new medication or a symptom of anxiety; suicidal thoughts are a symptom of severe depression. Both should go when you get effective treatment.

Seeing your GP is the best first step, I hope you've managed to do that. It's usual to have regular medication reviews. I would also ask for a referral to your local IAPT service - the providers of talking therapy in primary care. CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) is the recommended treatment for anxiety and depression, combined with medication if necessary.

You've had two huge losses in your life, your boyfriend and your best friend. You're very young and it sounds like you are just about to head off for uni, or have recently started. This is a time that is often very stressful as the support of family/friends is lacking. It's important you get the right type of help quickly so that you are able to move forward with your life. Sometimes accessing such help isn't easy. Post again if you have any difficuties with this. Good luck :smile:
  • linder115
    linder115 Posts: 8
    Options
    Dizziness is common, but suicidal thoughts are not and you need to talk to your doc ASAP. There are so many meds out there, and i'm sure you will be able to find one that works for you>
    Hate to hear that you have been through so much this year, when you suffer from depression having to deal with stuff like that is extremely hard. Hugs!