Introducing bottle at 6 months..

Options
I know that i should have introduced a bottle a lot earlier and now my six month old would rather starve then take a bottle. I wanted to breast feed for 1 to 2 years but while dieting i'm having problems making milk. I start losing weight then i start losing milk (even when adding bf'ing calories and drinking water and taking fenugreek). I'm trying to decide if i should keep bf'ing or focus on getting healthy for all three of my children. I have started pumping to see if that helps and i'm trying to get him to take a bottle. We have tried nuk, advent, breast flow, gerber esst., and mam. Yeasterday i bought a tippy tommy-i think thats what it is called, and he won't take any of them! Any advice will be apperciated.

Replies

• sunshine001
    Options
    Maybe you could try getting baby used to drinking from you using a nipple shield as an intermediate step.
  • MamiLeigh
    MamiLeigh Posts: 4
    Options
    i would have never thought of that,thanks, i will try it and let you know if it works.:smile:
  • Rebeccahelen514
    Rebeccahelen514 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 6 months and just started to get bottles and we tried avent, nuk, gerber, breastflow. She would take the breastflow but the nipples would collapse even with stage 3 nipple....next we tried playtex nurser w/drop ins. Its a wide nipple and she takes it! :) They work great for us switching back and forth from bottle to boob.
  • apreslar27
    apreslar27 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can also try a sippy cup. Make sure you are not the one trying to give the bottle, if he knows the real thing is close by he will refuse. Good luck!
  • micandme
    micandme Posts: 7
    Options
    You can also try a sippy cup. Make sure you are not the one trying to give the bottle, if he knows the real thing is close by he will refuse. Good luck!

That's what I was going to recommend. You aren't going to be able to feed him the bottle... at least at first. I've had FOUR reluctant bottle babies. We waited "too long" too. But why give a bottle if you don't need to, right? :) Have a friend watch him while you go somewhere... that way you can come back if you need to, but you aren't there listening to him... protest. And he can't smell you waiting in the wings. It may take a few times, but I think it's like introducing foods sometimes.... they hate it at first, but you offer it over and over again and suddenly, it's not so bad . :)

A sippy cup may help... a regular cup may work too. My littlest is now 10 months old and loved drinking water from a cup when she was about 6 months old. Yes, it was a mess, but she did better with that than a sippy cup. She likes the "nuby" transition type cup, too.... like a cross between a bottle and a sippy cup. At 10 months old, she still can't figure out how to get anything from a sippy cup!?!