Road Trip Food

Options
MontagneGitane
MontagneGitane Posts: 127 Member
I have a long road trip coming up. Four days total. What are some of your tips for eating healthy away from home? Favorite snacks for the car, etc? I will be traveling part of the way with my MIL whose health is suffering due to her diet of animal products and processed foods. Maybe being stuck in the car for two days with my veggie-loving son and I will encourage her to try eating better. Either that, or we will be swinging through the McD's drive-thru every few hours so she can get her fast food fix. *gag*

Replies

• kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like to eat while I am on a road trip so these are my suggestions: (these are the items that 4 of us took on an 11 hr trip I took last week, we did have left overs)
    I am assuming you will have a small cooler.

Apples
    bananas
    Carrots
    hummus
    sunflower seeds (in the shells)
    Luna bars and cereal bars
    olive tapanade
    pita chips
    pop chips
    sweet potato chips
    dried fruit (pineapple and mango)
    almonds with mini chocolate chips mix
    black bean and tofu burritos (I have a recipe for these if you would like)
    oatmeal cookies (mine were store bought but you could def make these ahead of time)
    coconut water
    Naked juice smoothies
    iced tea

Have fun muching
  • MontagneGitane
    Options
    Great suggestions, krjack. I especially love the olive tapenade idea. I'm planning on making some flaxseed crackers in the dehydrator. Those would go great with the tapenade if I made them with some Mediterranean herbs and spices. Maybe sundried tomatoes. Yum! The sweet potato chips too. I hadn't thought of that. I can make those in the dehydrator too.
    Thanks for the ideas!

eta: Yes, I would love the burrito recipe when you get a chance. :)
  • ShelleyElise
    ShelleyElise Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I usually pack for the car (not already listed):

raw almonds and raisins mixed
    celery with peanut butter (put a 2 inches of Pb in a jar, then stick the celery stick in it, add lid--no mess.
  • MontagneGitane
    Options

celery with peanut butter (put a 2 inches of Pb in a jar, then stick the celery stick in it, add lid--no mess.

That is such an awesome idea! You sold me at "no mess." (I have an almost 5 year old boy)
    Adding this to my list. Thanks so much. :)
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great list - only other thing I can think of is dates :-)
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love sandwiches. This may sound complicated, but mostly cuz it's harder in words than it is in life: Wet stuff like tomatoes can be added when ur ready to eat the sammies, but lettuce lining both slices and hummus and peppers between lettuce can be added ahead. Then use a paper towel folded in half and wrapped around the bread. Put paper toweled sandwich into plastic sandwich bag, and then keep in ur cooler. This will prevent the condensation from ruining the bread. May feel like over-packaging, but u can save the baggies for another trip by washing and drying them later at home. The towel gives ur dashboard protection while u add the tomatoes and pickles. Toss the towel, re-glove the sandwich in the plastic baggie, and even the driver can eat while driving. Can u tell I drive 3000-4000 miles a week?
  • southernpurplevegan
    southernpurplevegan Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am glad I found this thread , I am about to go on a 8 hour road trip to and from Oklahoma this summer.
  • MontagneGitane
    Options
    MrsODriscoll, dates are a great idea for a sweet snack.
    Bilzprincess, I appreciate the tips on keeping sandwiches un-soggy.

Thanks again to all of you. I feel like I'm ready to tackle this road trip now. Oh, and MIL said she's looking forward to trying some of my healthy food, so that's a plus. :)
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Great list, Id add dried Apricots and or Figs. ...Tapenade is a Fave, but not on a road trip. Makes you thirsty, and requires more Pit Stops ..LOL
    Have a Safe Journey :flowerforyou:
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was just on a road trip for 3 days. We had a portable grill which was nice, so we could cook gardein chicken tenders, smart dogs, and veggie burgers. Great investment! We also brought a cooler and had bean salad, pasta salad, and kale salad.
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I quite like roasted chestnuts (if theyre in season), sandwiches, other nuts, spiced chickpeas, roasted (lightly salted) broadbeans, museli bars, soup in a thermos, crackers with mashed avocado (i mash it with salt/pepper and store it in a container before i leave), oats (store hot milk in a thermos or get hot water on a stop at a service/gas station).

Sweet potato chips and kale chips are also a favourite.

I eat all sorts of things on road trips - theyre just a few ideas.