Why can't I just go work out!?

Options
I haven't been to the gym in almost two months. I'm still paying my monthly rate. My wedding dress is going to be here soon.

Yet, I just dont go.

I WANT to loose the weight. I WANT to go to the gym and walk on the treadmill and do classes. I've printed inspirational picture and put them on my fridge.. but they dont stop me from going in there.

There is always an excuse. Lance is home and so I don't go because we share a car and I don't know when he will be off work. I got a second job, so I dont have as much time anymore. Oh then my period is here so I can't (dont like to) go during that.

I wish someone would just kick me in the *kitten* and say "Kari, go get your chubby butt to the gym NOW"

Replies

• Oxfordnerd
    Oxfordnerd Posts: 1
    Options
    Can you sign up for any group classes? It's the only way of getting me to the gym and it's working wonders!
  • MissKariAnne
    Options
    My gym offers group classes with their membership! And there are a ton! Zumba, dance, spin, body combat, body pump, yoga, swimming.... I was going quite a bit and then it stopped. Like I have no motivation
  • MrsJansen
    MrsJansen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I pay the membership every month but dont go. I also find excuses but it reality I am only hurting myself. Once I get home I get so lazy that I dont want to lift a finger. Its a vicious cycle that I need to get out of.
  • eight6eleven
    eight6eleven Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I completely hate working out when that time of the month is upon me, but you know what? Working out actually helps keep my cramps under control! You don't necessarily have to be at the gym to work out. Start small at home. "Thinspiration" pics really don't work, IMHO. I think in the backs of our minds, we know the pictures are of girls who are terribly photo-shopped or girls that are very unhealthy. Not really great motivation!

What would motivate me and get my butt there would be the money wasted on an unused membership. You paid for it with your hard earned cash, woman! Don't let that go to waste! Getting out of a contract is also super expensive at most gyms.

You sound burned out. Start small and make a pact with yourself to do small workouts at home first, then maybe that will get you more in the mood to go back to the gym. :)
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Can you go on your way home from work? I find that if I go home and sit down, there's no chance I'm getting my bit butt off the couch to go to the gym.
  • MissKariAnne
    Options
    It IS a waste of money. $45 dollars a month may not seem like A LOT but when I havent gone in two months thats 90 dollars! Thats some new highlights! ;)

Once I am actually at the gym and back into a routine I really do like going. Its just getting back into that is the problem. Especially when I never know when Lance will be getting off work for me to pick him up. I dont want to make him sit there all by himself at night. Maybe that is just a bad excuse. lol. He should be going back on the road here shortly, so I wont have to worry about that anymore. In the mean time maybe I will start doing my walking DVD..... it DOES make me work up a sweat.
  • MissKariAnne
    Options
    AND to make matters worse. my period makes me want to eat and eat and eat. of course its nothing good.... bleh
  • ncstategal01
    ncstategal01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give... Get a gym buddy! When one of you feels like skipping, the other one can encourage you to go. Plus, you will feel guilty about standing up your buddy if you have workouts planned.
  • MissKariAnne
    Options
    I have one. kinda. lol. My neighbor and I use to go all the time. Then things just got all wonky and her schedule changed, my schedule changed, she didnt want to do classes anymore, but I did. It was so random. We talk about going back now though. I think once my period is over with this time I'm gonna get my butt in gear and go. regardless.
  • blueeyedgecko
    blueeyedgecko Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I've been engage since Jan 2011 and I would keep saying to myself, 'I need to loose weight before the wedding.' I just couldn't get motivated because the wedding seemed so far away (July 2012). Finally in Jan our refrigerator broke and we had to buy a new one. We lost all of our food, so when I went grocery shopping, I got to 'start over' and make healthy choices. I started going back to the gym, I would mostly just walk on the tredmill for about 45 minutes. I did really good with it in Jan, lost 5 lbs but then I stopped going and couldn't get motivated to do anything. One day I woke up and realized that I didn't want to look back on my wedding & honeymoon pics and be disappointed because I was lazy. I joined MFP in March and bought some Jillian Michaels DVDs. I started with the 30 Day Shred because it's only 20 minutes, I figured I could do at least that every day. Once I built up my endurance I started adding some of her other DVDs. It really worked. I admit that the weekends get hectic and I don't always log my calories but I was working out almost every day until recently. I'm trying to get back on track this week. I've lost 16 pounds total and I had my first dress fitting last Fri. The alterations people told me I can only loose 3 more pounds lol. I felt great though!