Celiac and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• snapsh0t
    snapsh0t Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble wanting to follow my GF diet. I guess the trouble is I'm a-symptomatic so when I eat something with gluten I have no idea. I also have diabetes, so its hard following both diets. Is there anyone else out there without symptoms? If so how do you keep motivated.
  • SierraJ86
    SierraJ86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the information, everyone. It's nice knowing I'm not alone in this thing. I have found that I know within 30 minutes if I accidentally eat something with gluten in it. For eating out, try some places that have a gluten free menu. I know Mellow Mushroom, PF Changs, and Melting Pot have gluten free menus. PF Changs even serves their gluten free menu items on separate looking plates/bowls so that it raises the awareness of being gluten free. Mellow Mushroom has a separate area for preparing their gluten free pizzas. Genghi's Grill also has special allergen bowls, too.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I don't have an immediate reaction either. I'm always angry if I find out after the fact that I was contaminated with something. I know it affects my long-term health, even if it doesn't make me sick right away.

I don't have diabetes but I know that general principles of eating and meal planning. What is the problem that you are running into on a gluten-free diet? It would seem to me that replacing breads with whole foods (rather than gf baked goods) would have a positive affect on diabetes management. But as I say, I am an outsider on this one, but I would like to help. I have lots of experience combining various dietary needs, if you want to share more info.
    I'm having trouble wanting to follow my GF diet. I guess the trouble is I'm a-symptomatic so when I eat something with gluten I have no idea. I also have diabetes, so its hard following both diets. Is there anyone else out there without symptoms? If so how do you keep motivated.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am severely gluten intolerant (I won't pay for the Celiac DNA test so...) you can look at my diary anytime. I eat very gluten free. If it was processed in a facility that also processes wheat, barley, or rye it is not safe for me to eat. I stick to lean meats and vegetables, but sometimes I gotta have fried rice, bread, pasta, pizza and etc. GF soy sauce is LaChoy. For bread, I go with Udi's. They have amazing products. My rice pasta can be purchased at any health food store or in my case, my Walmart carries it. Pizza crusts are Udi's or Kinnickinick. (sp?) There is a bakery in Arkansas that specializes in GF along with other allergies. I go there once every 2 or 3 months to get some treats.

If I have to eat out, and I avoid this at all costs, I make the safest choices possible and take a gluten digest enzyme that helps combat possible food cross contamination. If I get slipped gluten, I get sick within 35-45 minutes and am down for a week or two. It is not fun. I have my husbands family reunion tomorrow so I have to survive that by packing myself lunch and a few snacks.

Larabars save my life. I always carry those around to keep extreme hunger at bay. I have no other allergies/intolerance besides gluten thankfully so it is a bit easier on me,

I know its slightly off topic but I'm glad I'm not the only one who is so severe - cant eat out ( even mcdonald chips make me ill) and cant have anything if its in the same factory as gluten.

1 MCDonalds fries/chips are not gluten free, they're coated in flour before frozen.

I mostly eat things that are naturally gf (veggies/fruit/ *grass fed* beef) I make my own bread and baked goods, I don't buy any of it bc 1) it's gross 2) I can't have eggs or dairy.

I suggest to everyone I know who is gf to buy Elizabeth Barbone's Easy Gluten Free Baking book, excellent bread/pizza/everything recipes. It's also easy to alter them for other intolerances/allergies.

I'm super intolerant, I refuse toget tested bc I don't want to eat gluten again for the test nor do I want to pay to learn something I already know. I have all my own cookware and my dairy and egg issues mean I have vegan mayo/butter so my family knows to not use them.

Shop the outside of the store. Produce, meat, dairy, don't even go into the rest of the store. I make pasta from squashes and use a variety of flours for baked goods, I often don't even use sugar, I use agave nectar or honey. I really would suggest making your own bake goods and not buying them.

Check gf blogs for food ideas. Budgetbytes is another great food blog option, not gf entirely but most recipes are naturally gf or easy to convert
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

1 MCDonalds fries/chips are not gluten free, they're coated in flour before frozen.

McDonald chips are gluten free in the UK - in all the restaurants they have an allergy list on the back of the paper they put on the tray and it is listed there. But i have been told that they fry the potato wedges in the same fryer sometimes and that's why I get ill.