Pregnancy weight and body image

Options
jamie31
jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
I dont want to sound likey i'm whining but I am really having a problem with how i look. I have busted butt the past couple years to lose over 100lbs and had finally started to feel better about myself. This past weekend i have a meltdown. My pants still fit even though i have a muffing top, but i cannot wear any of my tank tops i have a bigger stomach, although it does not look like a pregnant belly, it just looks fat. Anyways how have you guys been able to deal with the weight gain and weird looking body that pregnancy causes

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I really think there is a difficult in between time where I gained weight but didn't look pregnant. I finally feel like I have a little bump at almost 15 weeks. Just hang in there and remmber you're creating a life. Make sure you are eating healthy and keeping your weight gain in the normal range. Try not to worry too much, you can bust butt again after you have your little one.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm 17 weeks and still don't really look pregnant. The pooch under my belly button is getting bigger and I think I look like a pear! Anybody who doesn't know I'm pregnant certainly can't tell, they probably think that's my natural shape. Anyway, I thought I would have a hard time with my changing body as well, I'd just hit my goal weight of -30 lbs about 2 months before getting pregnant, and have had body image issues since I was a pre-teen. I had a few days where I got frustrated with my clothes (especially pants), so I started telling myself, "I'm not getting fat, I'm healthy and growing a baby". Now if I have a bad day or if I go out and am wearing something that makes me look chubby instead of pregnant, I just say the same thing in my head and it makes me feel better.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Oh boy can I relate. First off congrats 100lbs!!! that's awesome! I lost 30 and I'm paranoid about gaining weight this pregnancy. But I'm definatly staying a lot healthier this time. I still keep up with my excerise and watch my calories. I'm about 8wks and I haven't gained. Which is a shock because 1st two pregnancies I gained 10-15lbs first trimester. 60 lbs with 1st. 45 lbs w 2nd. defiantly trying to stay between a 25-30lb gain this time.
    Ur not alone! just stay healthy and don't let urself go. Stick with ur healthy habits!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this myself. I have gained more than I would like over the past year and a half. But since I'm still in a healthy range, I didn't try super hard to lose it while TTC (my cycles were already irregular and I was afraid of making it even worse). So, while I am psyched to be pregnant, I hate seeing that number on the scale and thinking that it will only go up over the next 8 months. I'm not looking forward to that time when I will have gained weight but won't be obviously pregnant. I'll just look like I've REALLY let myself go even more than I actually have. :ohwell:
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This is me, everyday. I have definitely started to hate getting dressed everyday, and seeing my girlfriends look all tiny in cute outfits drives me nuts. Not to mention my hair took a turn for the WORST when I got pregnant. I didn't get "gorgeous pregnancy hair", but hair has stopped growing and the ends literally feel burnt like someone lit my hair on fire. It's so strange. So I can only wear my hair up in ponytails.

I'm 24 weeks, and I'm up about 20 pounds already. My doctor told me to try to slow it down, which doesn't make me feel better at all. But I had no morning sickness or food aversions, just hunger. I still workout as well. My stomach isn't a "pregnant girl" stomach, it's big in the lower abdomen but I haven't popped, so people that don't know me can't tell than I'm pregnant. So yea... needless to say, it's been rough for the ol' self-esteem lol
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I am short waisted, so when I'm pregnant you can't tell it's baby until about 6 months. It jist looks like fat. It makes me sad.
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am also struggling. I am only 9w5d, and I have gained a good 10-15 pounds already. It's stress eating. I'm so anxious between doctors appointments, that I eat to calm myself. And, eating is also the only thing that cures my nausea. I have another doctor's appointment tomorrow, and I am scared to get on the scale!
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well- big time. This is my second time around, and my first pregnancy I gained around 40 lbs. I was/am determined to not gain as much this time, and to be healthier throughout. I'm already dealing with the issues of thinking I'm chubby, my thighs are getting bigger, etc...

However, since this is my 2nd time around let me just say this- it CAN come off. If you (and I) are this focused on health and wellness, then we will be after the baby is born too! I know it's hard- I'm speaking to myself as well...but if we are trying our best, then that's all we can do for now....just wait til those babies are born and then we can melt the calories away with our hard work. Enjoy the pregnancies while you can:)
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    This is me, everyday. I have definitely started to hate getting dressed everyday, and seeing my girlfriends look all tiny in cute outfits drives me nuts. Not to mention my hair took a turn for the WORST when I got pregnant. I didn't get "gorgeous pregnancy hair", but hair has stopped growing and the ends literally feel burnt like someone lit my hair on fire. It's so strange. So I can only wear my hair up in ponytails.

My hair has gone nuts too. It's falling out! I had to call my dr to be reassured everything is ok. "It's just hormones."

I slacked on working out in the beginning of this pregnancy and lost a lot of muscle tone in my legs. That doesn't help with my body image either. I'm determined to keep walking/jogging and staying positive.

As it's already been mentioned, we are growing little humans inside of us. Our bodies are working in overdrive and creating a little miracle. We must stay positive. :) (I know, easier said than done)
  • dq1479
    dq1479 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is how I was with my first pregnancy. I was so hard on myself b.c. I worked so hard to lose the weight and while I wanted to be pregnant - the weight gain played with my mind. Let me tell you what helped me is going out to buy some maternity clothes. YES your regular clothes may still fit but part of the reason you feel so bad is b.c your clothes are not fitting right. Your body is changing and you need to accommodate that.

When I bought clothes that fit my new growing body I felt like a new woman. Seriously - I was glowing and could breath! HA!

I will tell you this - I gained 55lbs with my 1st pregnancy and was back in my regular jeans within two weeks of giving birth. With my second I got pregnant a week after meeting my goal weight. How's that for crazy. I am just taking this one all in stride. I will get back to my weight when this is done - in the mean time I will continue to be healthy!

Big hugs!
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely not alone in this feeling. I know myself this is a real struggle mentally. I am at 26 weeks and am up 23 lbs.....2 lbs away from hitting 200. I have never in my life been this heavy nor have I gone over 200 and it's SOOOO hard to get over even though I know this is temporary weight and for a good cause!

The first trimester for me sucked, I got an instant muffin top and had to wear my fat jeans or leggings. We went to Vegas for a wedding when I was at 12 weeks and all the girls were in nice tight dresses struttin their stuff.....I was in leggings and a sweater dress and flat shoes feeling like a sack of potatoes. I had worked really really hard to lose weight before my wedding and was just starting to feel "tight" for once and able to wear low rise jeans and a fitted shirt.....then BOOM! MUFFIN TOP! I pouted everyday, surprised I didn't trip on my bottom lip more often.

I also just started to look pregnant. I too am short waisted so I looked rather tubular for a very long time. Just now am I starting to enjoy my new pregnant shape....the shape that is......not the hairy belly that came with it!

There were some suggestions to get some new properly fitted clothing and it really does help. I stopped trying to make my old clothes work and just started wearing maternity clothes and I was so much more comfortable. With the comfort (and new style) I stopped being so hard on myself.

hang in there! we're all here for support!
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Thanks for the reassurance from you ladies who can relate and have come out on the other side. :happy:
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have struggled quite a bit. I tell my husband I feel like I giant jellybean with boobs and he is quick to tell me that he loves jellybeans. I try not to focus on the numbers much. I just concentrate on the day to day. While I already walk a lot for my job, I still want to get in real workouts, but most days my feet ache and I know I just need to rest more than anything. My OB appointments are awful. I usually can't get in until the afternoon and my weight can fluctuate a solid 5lbs or more. It's pretty hard dealing with the changing body, but I rest assured that it will be okay. Of all the moms I have met who I was comfortably able to ask how much they gained in their pregnancies, not once have I heard anything under 47lbs. As terrifying as the guidelines are to stay under 35lb gain, I am just going to feed myself and my child, try to stay active, and stress less knowing that there can be loss again. It isn't worth stressing myself and the baby out over numbers.
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone posted this. I've always looked forward to the baby bump, but now that I've been losing weight and being really healthy and active, I'm terrified of gaining the weight back and then some. I am only 5 weeks but I don't look forward to the "fat" period before I hit the "pregnant" period.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    I've been listening to back episodes of the PregTastic podcast (great stuff!) and this was an especially relevant episode: http://www.pregtastic.com/pregnancy-and-your-changing-body/
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, makes me feel better to know i am not the only one with this fear. I was even told I was selfish for being so concerned about my body image instead of worrying about the baby.

I dont have morning sickness but have noticed if i go more than 2 hours without food i feel nauseaosus, so I am alway eating. Also the only food i have been craving is taco bell, and not just anything it has to be something with that melted cheese on it. Ugh l never used to eat taco bell but now i want it everyday! lol

ABout the hair, ohhhh mann. My hair feels so brittle. I have naturally curly hair and it feels like burnt straw or something. I have used every kind of conditioning treatment i can think of and nothing works. ANyone able to overcome this or will it get better once i am further along in my pregnancy? I am 9 weeks along as of now
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was afraid to say it out loud but I'm delighted to be pregnant but terrified on putting on weight like on my first. I put on 56lbs and I looked massive. I'm trying to workout and watch what I eat. I upped my calories by 400 and I'm trying to be healthy in my choices rather than just tubs of Ben & Jerrys :)
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Thanks guys, makes me feel better to know i am not the only one with this fear. I was even told I was selfish for being so concerned about my body image instead of worrying about the baby.

I dont have morning sickness but have noticed if i go more than 2 hours without food i feel nauseaosus, so I am alway eating. Also the only food i have been craving is taco bell, and not just anything it has to be something with that melted cheese on it. Ugh l never used to eat taco bell but now i want it everyday! lol

ABout the hair, ohhhh mann. My hair feels so brittle. I have naturally curly hair and it feels like burnt straw or something. I have used every kind of conditioning treatment i can think of and nothing works. ANyone able to overcome this or will it get better once i am further along in my pregnancy? I am 9 weeks along as of now

I'm the same with the feeling nauseated if I get too hungry! I went grocery shopping yesterday, but I waited too long after breakfast so that by the time I got to the store I felt really queasy. I had to buy something to eat before I could do my regular shopping.
  • ajelove
    ajelove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My first pregnancy I felt terrible the whole way through. Now I'm not as nervous, but I plan to eat less cookies and work out more. Right now I'm more annoyed with the gas. :P
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Oh, I totally feel you! I worked so hard to get down to 18% body fat and a body I could be proud of, then I got pregnant. I gained 7 lbs in 10 weeks and then had a miscarriage, worked my way down 2 of those before I got pregnant again. I again gained a ton my first trimester despite counting calories and exercise, and had to endure 5 months of looking and feeling fat before I told people cause I was afraid I'd have another miscarriage. So everyone just thought I'd let myself go. I comforted myself by buying maternity clothes and "I'm pregnant" declaring shirts, my fave being the "I'm not fat I'm pregnant" from cafepress.com, to remind myself and explain to others.

Things are better now! My weight gain really tapered off and I started showing around 6 months. I lost a lot of the hip and thigh gain and it went to my belly. Now I'm on track with my weight and am enjoying the sought after "you're all baby" comments. This has helped my self esteem a lot and I even have days where I feel cute. So yes, there is a sucky period, but an end is in sight!