SE Michigan MFP Get Together

Options
rainman3k
rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
Hope everybody had a great weekend, after running a 5k today with one of my coworkers/MFP friends, I put some more thought into an idea I have discussed with a couple of other local MFP people.

I am thinking about scheduling a bike ride that would allow for all skill levels to join at several spots.

Sharing an idea from a ride I did a few years ago, my idea was to use the Metro Beach Bike Path starting at Freedom Hill in Sterling heights and then riding to Metro beach in Harrison Township. Round trip the ride is about 20 miles, but you can access the bike path along the ride to change the total distance.

Let me know if you would be interested in something along the lines of this along with a couple good dates and I will try to organize the ride for a day that works best for everyone!

Replies

• kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Let me know the details Ray, I'll try to keep my eye on this thread to watch for information, sounds like a great idea, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Ken
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm In.... anytime!
  • afritzler1
    afritzler1 Posts: 6
    Options
    i would love to join! I'm pretty new to MFP but i bike everywhere and a MFP bike event would be a great idea! i would def do it21492984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Critical Mass has a huge bike ride on the third Friday of every month (this Friday coming up). They ride through Downtown Detroit. They meet at 630pm on the corner of Trumbull and Warren (ride starts at 7pm). It lasts about 1.5-2 hours. They go slower so that all types of people can keep up. Between 15-20 miles. Last month they rode on Belle Island.
  • rainman3k
    Options
    That sounds pretty cool!
  • shaunl669
    shaunl669 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would love to connect with other MPFers, let me know what the details are on the ride. Weekday evenings work best for me.

Shaun
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do a meet up but I dont really have a bike or ride even if i did lol. I'd be in you guys do something else another time though!
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    That sounds super fun! I'm all about it!
  • rainman3k
    Options
    I am thinking a Sunday, maybe the 17th or 23th of June. Would earlier or later afternoon work best?
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    sounds like a fun time!
  • Todd08
    Todd08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That sounds like fun.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun, I'll come if I'm in town.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The 23rd is highly possible, the 17 might be an issue but still possible. Where would we meet up at? Freedom Hill or Lake St. Clair Metropark (Metro Beach)? Later in the day it might be less crowded on the trail. Maybe we could all plan to stop some place when we are done for a small picnic/social gathering?
  • rainman3k
    Options
    My month is filling up quicker than I realized, I am usually out on the bike path every weekend now that the weather is nice.

How is Sunday July 1st for doing a small picnic/get together?

Option A)

We could meet at Metro Beach and then bike out the trail to a given point and return for a picnic. Here are the estimated distances round trip using the bike path along Metro Parkway:

To Freedom Hill - 20 Miles
    To Gratiot - 10 Miles
    To Crocker - 6 Miles

Option B)

We could meet at Stoney Creek and do the paved trail around the lake which is a little over 6 miles. We could pick a location off the trail for a picnic and other sports.

I will take a count of ideas from people on Saturday morning and then put something together for what ever option is selected under a new post.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, if only I had a bike.
  • mokpochica
    mokpochica Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also don't have a bike, but I've been thinking about getting one. Will go bike shopping this weekend and check out craigslist. So maybe I'll be able to join you.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    how about a bike or run/walk? I know some of us dont have bikes/a way of getting a bike there...so a group could go bike and the rest of us could walk/run/play volleyball or something? lol
  • rainman3k
    Options
    Courtney, That is a good idea, that is why I liked either of the options because we could do both or either.