I'm too Anxious to go to the Gym

Options
garyobesedeleted
garyobesedeleted Posts: 117 Member
I bought a Gym membership on the 8th may on the internet. 12 days ago! I'm too Anxious to go.

There's nothing anyone can say that will make me get up and go to the Gym.

I'm just putting it out there...

Replies

• hailie08
    hailie08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Just go and not work out. Go and put your stuff in like a locker or go to the bathroom. Then leave. Slowly build up until you actually feel comfortable to work out:) Start slow!
  • garyobesedeleted
    Options
    Just go and not work out. Go and put your stuff in like a locker or go to the bathroom. Then leave. Slowly build up until you actually feel comfortable to work out:) Start slow!

ty for the advice, thats what I was thinking, problem is that i have to go there and register my fingerprint & give them my membership number

and as more & more days go by i feel like their confusion is heightened because im taking ages to visit
    also i can picture them standing there and judging me, i feel like im not good enough
  • graceholly1
    graceholly1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just tell yourself that no one is really looking at you, because they are all either feeling the same way, worrying about what other people think of them, or concentrating on what they're doing. Also it helps to talk to people, if this feels like too much even a smile will do the trick.

Good luck!
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    That is just thought distortion. People aren't thinking about you like that, no one is judging you. It just what your anxiety is telling you, and it's untrue!

I'm currently trialing medications to get my anxiety under control. It has gone so poorly that I feel a little hopeless. *sigh*
  • v_snowdrop
    v_snowdrop Posts: 59
    Options
    and as more & more days go by i feel like their confusion is heightened because im taking ages to visit

I know exactly what this feels like, ugh. this kind of thinking has led me down a very dark and lonely path. :( Wish I had some advice but I'm not exactly doing so good myself, heh.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options

ty for the advice, thats what I was thinking, problem is that i have to go there and register my fingerprint & give them my membership number

also i can picture them standing there and judging me, i feel like im not good enough

If you have this problem with other social situations then this may well be social anxiety/phobia. The longer you avoid going, the worse the anxiety will get. The idea of visiting but not working out is a good one. But it sounds like you need a smaller steps before registering, such as going to the building but not going in, then going and getting inside but leaving soon after, then registering on the 3rd visit. I'll post a link to a free self help course based on the recommended approach for treatment of social anxiety. One of the modules describes how to approach feared situations in this way, a step at a time, so that you can produce your own plan for overcoming your anxiety. Good luck and well done on taking that all important first step! :flowerforyou:

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=40
  • linder115
    linder115 Posts: 8
    Options
    I know how you feel, as I suffer from anxiety and panic disorder (among others LO) Anyway I used to be terrified to drive on the interstate. Well one day I just up and did it without thinking...let me tell you it was like a high to have conquered that fear. So just try the steps others have mentioned and just push your self more and more and it will pay off. I haven't even gotten the membership yet, so you are one step ahead of me!
  • garyobesedeleted
    Options
    went with someone several times, dont think i can go on my own though
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Wife gave me the green light to get a membership. I'm too anxious to go in and sign up. I know the feeling my friend. For me, the anxiety comes from risk of failure and ridicule/bullying. Any idea where yours comes from?