What keeps you motivated?

Options
Hi ladies!

I am two weeks into keto and loving it so far. I have a question tho. What keeps you motivated? Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed with the amount of weight I need to lose and I get really discouraged.

I'm trying I set small goals like losing 10 pounds.

Any advice?

Replies

• horsesalwaysknewher
    horsesalwaysknewher Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. Seeing a goal of 150 is so huge and seems completely insurmountable. For me, it's been a bit of a recalibration, because I don't think I wanted it bad enough before.

Something that keeps me going is that I used to be somewhat athletic. I played basketball and rode horses and worked at the barn. I used to have abs! Now, I can barely walk a mile, and quite frankly it pisses me off!

The way I'm trying to look at it is that this transformation will probably take a year or two years. I have to live that time anyway, so I might as well do it healthfully and come out on the other side looking and feeling better.

And, to be much less deep, I go to places like Target and see all the really cute clothes that I can't wear. I WANT TO WEAR CUTE CLOTHES, DAMN IT!
  • klf923
    klf923 Posts: 2
    Options
    I really agree w/ the cute clothes thing... One thing that keeps me going is the fact that every day I'm one step closer to fitting into my 'old' clothes and knowing that within the year I will be able to walk into target and see a cute dress or pants and I'll be able to buy it!
  • futuresizeeight
    Options
    I've always been heavy, but remembering the clothes I felt confident wearing even about 75 pounds ago is a big motivator for me. My long term goal is to lose about twice that, but I think even just getting down into the 250s would feel amazing.

I don't feel comfortable, energetic or attractive at this size and I hope to feel all of the above again.

Also, I have high blood pressure, which is what killed my mother at age 42. I'd be ecstatic to be able to get off the meds.
  • Dree3
    Dree3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The clothes thing is huge for me. Especially since moving down from Montreal to Louisiana... with how much heat there is down here I'd like to wear tanks and shorts a lot, but I don't feel like I can right now. So that's a big thing.

The other thing that keeps me motivated is health stuff. I want to be healthy for a long time, and since I'm in my early 30s now, it's really starting to sink in.

MFP and keto have been awesome. It's making weight loss like an RPG for me.

And keto is unbelievable. I feel like I'm cheating everyday! I did standard low-fat last year, and eventually fell out of it because it felt way too restrictive. I lost about 30lbs on it but I wasn't happy. With keto, I have bacon and eggs for breakfast everyday, which is awesome... I love the food I can eat (check my diary sometime! it's not all bacon :) But the best part of keto is I'm never hungry. I can remember before, when I was doing low-fat, I'd finish my lean cuisine and scrape the bottom of the bowl to make sure I got every single piece of food, and then I'd sit there starving for hours. On keto, I'm never hungry. Sometimes I go 2 meals a day even, without snacking. Even when I'm at the grocery store, if I wound up in the chip aisle I'd see Doritos and think "OMG WANT." But now? I can walk right past em without even noticing.

Anyway sorry for the keto tangent. :P But I guess technically it is one thing that keeps me motivated. Knowing I can eat delicious foods and feel properly full, all the while losing weight? Hell yeah it's a big motivator for me. :D
  • catiecarpenter
    Options
    Some things that keep me motivated are the small changes in my body that happen to pop up! Cutting out a lot of what I used to snack on has gotten my bloating down. My taste buds are changing- my old go-to snacks (Pop-Tarts and potato chips) now taste disgusting (esp. Pringles. Yuck). I no longer like 90% of my used-to-be-favorite sodas (the occasional ginger ale is nice). I found the other day that I was craving a juicy navel orange instead of a scoop of ice cream. Also- reading loseit posts. It's wonderful seeing the progress that other people make- such a diverse crowd and so inspiring!