Introduce yourselves!

Options
Hi everyone!

Since this group is new, I thought it might be nice to have a thread where all of us introduce ourselves and talk a little about who we are, what our goals are, and where we're at in the process. Please take a minute to say hi!

Replies

• horsesalwaysknewher
    horsesalwaysknewher Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    And I'll start!

My name is Meghan, and I'm 27 years old. I live in metro Detroit with my husband, three cats, and two dogs. I'm 5' 6.5" and currently somewhere between 315 and 320. I wear 24/26 pants and 2X tops, and it blows. I just started trying to make a real change after years of half-assed, failed diets. I feel like this is the time for me to do it, and I don't have any excuses left.

My goal weight is somewhere between 140 and 180. It's a big range, but I won't know where I feel comfortable until I get closer. At this point, I would be beyond ecstatic to just be somewhere below 200 pounds. That's a long way away, but there's no reason I can't do it.

I want to improve my health, including getting off blood pressure medication. I had back surgery almost exactly a year ago after getting rear ended, and I want to be able to do the right things for my back so I don't have bigger problems down the road. I want to be able to wear cute clothes, and I want to have the ability to run, even if I don't do it on a regular basis. Above all, I want to be able to get back to horses. I started riding when I was six, and it was my life until I was about 20 and got too heavy to do it. I miss it every single day, and the moment when I'm able to get back in the saddle will be one of the happiest of my life.

I look forward to trading tips and motivation with all of you!
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Sex: Female
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting weight 8 years ago: 290
    Starting /r/loseit and MFP weight: 184
    Current weight: 176
    Goal weight: 155

I started seriously gaining weight at age 14. After the death of a parent, & subsequent bankruptcy and moving to a new state, I went into deep depression, and began the process of eating my emotions. I also went on anti-depressants that caused additional weight gain. My mom is a mild food hoarder, and was working so much that I was left to feed myself. I gorged. I gained weight rapidly, and went from being a healthy kinda-chubby (never stick thin) at 14, to a very unhealthy 290 lbs in three years. By the time I graduated high school, I was massively unhealthy, and still pretty unhappy.

My first year in college, I spent very little money on food, and lost 20 lbs just on reducing food intake alone, with minimal to no exercise.

The following year, I dropped out of college (horrible grades...not a good environment for me), and traveled. I got a horrible stomach bug and intestinal amoebas (heyyyyyy '3rd world' what's up?). Spent 3 weeks in a rural area w/o a doctor purging myself through all orifices...lost another 20 lbs. But then I spent the last month of my 3 months trip in a buddhist retreat, meditating and doing yoga, and became healthy again - gaining back about 5 lbs. This is where my life changed. I was down to about 245/250 by the time I came back to the states.

The next year, I was motivated by my new found love of moving my body, I tried to start doing yoa at home and jogging (never got to far),and lived with a family (as part of a job) that ate really well, and I learned new eating habits, recipes, etc. Probably about 220 at my lowest here.

After a year with that family, I traveled for another year-ish. Did LOTS of yoga. Got away from the US and the HORRIBLE food environment here. At about 200 by the time I came back tot he US.

A month after coming back to the US, I moved to a country in the south seas. Here I took up running in a big way. I started on beaches, forest trails, and river-side paths, and got to the point where I could run 5 miles in 45 minutes, within about 4 months. I was down at my lowest since high school then, at about 175/178 (this was five years ago)

In 2007, I came home and started university again, this time at a new school. I was an independent student, and supported myself with two jobs while going to a high-stress university. High-stress indeed! Within 18 months I was back up to 212. Darn it!

2009/10: Traveled again, got away from US food environment, went down to 195.

2010: Worked out a lot, ate better, got a cute boyfriend. Got myself down to 183 by graduation, in 2011 (summa cum laude, baby! who would have thought?)

2012: Two years of stable weight! I had been between 178-184 for the last two years. Yay for stability!

Now: I want to lose that last 30 pounds. It's a stubborn 30 pounds, and I think that I was sort of blinded by my earlier success. I was so proud of myself for having lost 105 lbs, that I didn't really think about how I was still overweight. I was still fascinated with the fact that I had gotten to where I was. But now, I want to get down to a healthy BMI.

I am realizing how much experience, tips, and tricks I have in up my sleeve that I didn't realize could be so helpful for people, which is why I have joined this group. I've taken on this "last 30 pounds" challenge, and lost 8 lbs in just under three weeks.

I am relatively fit, and I jog sometimes, bike to work (8 miles round trip) about 3 times per week, and I do 20-40 minutes of yoga about 5 days a week (starting 3 weeks ago). I hike on the weekends. I'm about to start grad school in 3 months, and I want to be at a weight that I can support while I am there, and just not think about it anymore. I'm really excited at the prospect of not worrying anymore. I don't want to worry about my muffin top, about my loose-skin pooches, about my family's diabetes history affecting me, about my ability to climb that mountain with friends, about fitting into that cute new skirt, about being called a "big girl." I'm so over it.
  • redblugrn
    redblugrn Posts: 1
    Options
    Height: 5'4"
    Starting Weight: 250-260? I didn't measure it, but I think it was around there.
    Current Weight: 234
    "Goal" Weight: 120-140, wherever I feel comfortable. My goal is to be within a healthy weight for my height but have some muscle.

I can't remember not being fat. My mom and dad were always overweight. My mom has a bad relationship with food (anorexia in her teens) and she's always been morbidly obese. She had gastric bypass a long time ago but she's still heavy. My dad is heavy but managed to cut down when he needed to for work (naval aviator). My family celebrates with food and most of my extended family is overweight as well. The only thin person is my little sister, who eats fairly well and works out often (size 2, etc). She's somewhat of a source of inspiration and frustration to me.

I've always been an emotional eater (still my struggle) and having depression in my teens didn't help. I was hospitalized a lot. I came to college and I'm doing awesome. I feel like I'm emotionally healthy enough to tackle my weight and health issues. I'm very fortunate that other than being fat I'm not experiencing any other health consequences, but I know it's coming if I don't shape up.

I've been working at this since February. Finals, moving, and a trip home earlier this month derailed me a bit, but I only gained a pound (after giving up counting for nearly 3 weeks). I'm back on the wagon as of this past week. I try to eat at a 1,000 deficit every day, but I struggle to stay in those calories...I'm a snacker.

As for exercise I used to be a member of Curves, which was good, but I moved and I haven't joined a gym yet. I'm holding off because I'm going to be out of town for 2 weeks pretty soon so I don't want to spend money on it yet. I'm not good about exercising at home. I try to incorporate more moving into my day. I'm not too worried...I'm taking this as a time to really get my eating/snacking/etc under control before adding in exercise.

My biggest challenge is living with my boyfriend. He has some eating issues (food phobia, imo, he's a picky eater) and his safe foods are all junk, except for 1 or 2 things. His main food groups are pancakes, sugary cereal, frozen pizza/pizza type foods, frozen fries, and macaroni and cheese. Living with him is like on the Biggest Loser, where they have fried chicken everywhere. I love him to death but it's hard not to have a handful of Doritos when he's eating or a few bites of pizza. It's hard for me to be 100% satisfied with a healthy meal when I see him chowing down on some of my favorite foods. I also really worry about his health, but I know he has to overcome his food thing first. It's a challenge for me.

Overall things are actually going well. I see progress (slow, but I see it) and I'm happy. I keep reminding myself its a marathon, not a sprint. I know I'm not the kind of person who can go balls to the wall and still stick with it. My diet feel strict now, but I know 1300 calories is around maintenance for my goals and when I add in moderate exercise I'll see some faster progress. My approach is to live like my skinny self and eventually I'll get there. It's probably gonna be 2 or even 3 years, but I'll make it there.

MFP and /loseit have been a big source of inspiration and support for me (when I have a craving I make myself read /loseit for 10 minutes first >_>) so thanks to all you ladies for being awesome! Keep it up, we can do it!!
  • futuresizeeight
    Options
    Sex: Female
    Height: 5' 7"
    Starting weight: 310
    Current weight: 310
    Goal weight: 150

I live in a rural area in Rhode Island with my boyfriend and our two cats.

I was a chubby child and was put on a variety of unhealthy diets by my parents. Meals that consisted two spoonfuls of cottage cheese (which I hated) and three crackers, things like that. This lead to a habit of sneaking food and getting a thrill out of any opportunity I had to eat junk. I've only realized as an adult how much I love vegetables, when they're prepared the right way.

When she was 42 and I was 20, my mother died suddenly at home from complications of undiagnosed high blood pressure. There were multiple factors that went into it, but her weight was one of them.

I've had a screwed up family situation since then. My father got together with an abusive rageaholic. I developed severe anxiety and a panic disorder. I also now take medication for high blood pressure.

I've spent most of my adult life between 200 and 300 pounds. It really started getting out of control a couple of years ago, after I quit smoking.

One of my biggest obstacles right now is living with my boyfriend. He's tall and naturally skinny, and eats a TON. Naturally, I end up eating what he eats...I might just have to try having smaller portions of it.

I'm finally ready to do something about it. I'm sick of making excuses for myself!
  • Dree3
    Dree3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'3"
    SW: 253 CW: 238 GW: 120

I'm originally from Montreal but moved down to Louisiana a few years ago, for business and because my best friends all live here. So moving to the best-food-in-the-damn-world state didn't do me any favors. I've probably gained about 70lbs in three years down here, and I won't lie, I -was- eating horribly. Even fast food. It's so cheap and accessible down here.

Anyway, as I'm entering my 30s, I've realized that eating the way I did was going to kill me. There's diabetes all over my family and I'd like to do everything I can to prevent it. That's the main reason I want to get down to a healthy weight.

The other reason is the clothes, of course. :)
  • klf923
    klf923 Posts: 2
    Options
    Height: 5'0
    SW: 225
    CW: 209
    GOAL!: 120-140

I've always been a little overweight but more recently I put on more than 70lbs within the last 3 years. Mostly from having a long distance relationship and sitting at home playing computer games and eating pizza. In March of this year I found /r/loseit and saw peoples progress pictures and stories. This motivated me and really showed me that I could do this also, that I didn't need some special diet or special work out or to spend tons of money on diets or workout equipment. I saw real people just like me and real stories just like mine.

On March 23rd I found some websites with low-cal recipes and I started from there. I downloaded MFP later that afternoon and its been 61 days since I started and I'm already down 16lbs. I'm not doing vigorous workouts or anything just walking/jogging anywhere between 1-3 miles a day and living a more active lifestyle. I try to swim a few times a week maybe even go to the gym. I don't have any workout plan, basically just get off of work and make sure I do at least 1 active thing in the afternoon. To accommodate my newly active lifestyle on March 24th I planted a garden with grapes, tomatoes, watermelons and black berries. As of this morning I saw a bloom for a watermelon (EXCITED YAY!).

Having several failed attempts at losing weight prior to this (trying hcg and any other fad diet/ exercise) counting calories has been so helpful for me. I'm so aware of what I eat now and I actually like tracking the calories. Before I buy anything at the store I always look at the nutritional value and more times than not I usually put whatever it is back and go home and find a healthy recipe to make the same thing.

I know within a year I will be to my goal and I cannot wait! I can't wait to be able to dance without feeling like the michelin man, wear sexy clothes for my husband, buy ANYTHING I want when I walk into a clothing store. Swim in a bathing suit without being embarrassed and above all be healthy, feel healthy and live a much healthier life style.

we got this!
  • catiecarpenter
    Options
    HI! I'm Catie (did the username make it obvious? Heh)

Height: 5'5.5 (almost 5'6, not quite!)
    Starting weight- over 240. I started my journey before I had a scale, and when I weighed myself, I was 240. I know I was heavier than that.
    Current weight: 228.5
    Goal: Around140ish, I dunno what I'll find healthy.

Born and raised in Minnesota near the twin cities, I come from a German-Norwegian family whose love language is FOOD. My parents never really taught me good eating habits (as theirs were not the greatest) and I was always a chubby kid. Being visually impaired, sports involving projectiles was never really my thing- I was interested in staying inside and reading. I never really thought about weight until puberty kicked in, when the pounds really packed themselves on. When I was 12 or so, I remember going into the doctor and having them tell me "Catie, you're 208 pounds, this is not good!" I heard the message, but never really took notice of it. I tried to lose weight as a preteen/young teenager, it was always for the wrong reason- to be "prettier". My self esteem was down the tube.

For years I told myself "Oh, I'll start it tomorrow, or next week, or next month, at New Year's." I kept using my disability to make excuses to myself so that I wouldn't exercise. I kept telling myself "As long as I don't get over x lbs, I'll be okay". it wasn't really until I went to the doctor last year that the scale had escalated almost twenty pounds in the past year. I was devastated and mad at myself for refusing to get off of my lazy *kitten* and actually doing something. I had tried using different calorie counters in the past, but I really became burned out after a couple of weeks.In February, I joined MFP and re-started counting calorie intake. Well, I'm still here in May- i'd take it as a good thing.

While I am happy that I am making slow but steady progress, eating healthy is difficult. I cannot eat many "raw" fruits and veggies due to an oral allergy (Epipen, yay!) and am completely allergic to chickpeas- this means no hummus. I still find myself eating emotionally, but I have found the "drink water wait four minutes" trick works (I extend it to ten). I found how territorial of food I can be as well, and found the cause- my dad would regularly take food that was labeled "mine" or someone else's in the family. I've been working on this habit as well, I know it's going to be one of my biggest demons to vanquish.

I don't know when I'll reach my goal. For now, I want to change my lifestyle and habits for the better. I've set small but doable goals for myself. I don't want to die being diabetic and 100+ lbs overweight, I want to be healthy. I want to live.

TL;DR: Is fat, wants to change.
  • JustQuitIt
    JustQuitIt Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm Rachel. Hi :)
    Height: Juuuuuust under 5'2. Barely.
    Starting Weight: 251
    Current Weight: 202
    Goal Weight: 100-115 (I know, right?)

Let's see...I went from 251 to 220 or so over the span of about a year, then from 220 to 205 in a month testing a diet for a magazine. Then I went from 205 to 178 between March 2011 through August, by lifting heavier weights but mostly just not eating enough: like, way not enough.

Unsuprisingly, I gained back 34 pounds, putting me at 212 (my MFP start weight). Since doing a ketogenic diet starting last Friday, I've lost 10 pounds, and I'm hoping to get back to 178 (and then lower!) fairly quickly, since I gained the weight pretty fast. Anyway.
    That's me!
  • DistantRaine
    Options
    Hey!

I'm Ceci, age 30 (as of a week ago). Height: 5'10". Starting weight: 302. Current weight: 292. Goal: Pass the Army PT test on both weight and exercise.

I'm an Army wife who just moved to Georgia and had my second child in April. I'm sick of not keeping up with my husband and 2 year old on walks, and I'm sick of looking at all the incredibly fit soldiers on base and feeling fat, old, and ugly. I'm determined to be healthier in my 30s than I was in my 20s!

I think one of my main problems is portion control - I've done weight watchers before, and consistently ate double portions to feel full. So, I've stared Nutrisystem, with the plan to stay on it for 3 months while I teach my eyes, my mind, and my stomach what a normal portion looks and feels like. Then I'll switch back to WW and start cooking healthier meals for my whole family.

My biggest stumbling block right now is exercise. The on-base gyms have child care, but I hate to go there - everyone else is so fit that I just feel fat and pathetic. It's hard to exercise anywhere else though; what would I do with a 2 year old and a newborn? I can't even really take walks, as it's too hot and too sunny (we're all *really* fair) to take the baby outside during the day. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm a social girl, and I'd love a workout partner, but I don't know anyone who's as out of shape as I am who also seriously is making a major change.

I am going to do this though! I am going to buy non-plus-size clothes, and I am going to fit into a cute bra from Vicky Secret, damnit.