Need some advice

Options
I am new to running and have started the couch to 5k program. I have discovered I LOVE to run! I am in the 6th week of the program and I am eating my suggested 1200 calories a day plus the calories that I am burning but in the last 4 weeks I havent lost anything... not even an ounce :( I know that I am most likely gaining muscle but its kind of dissapointing not to see the scale moving any. Any advice or suggestions?

Replies

• pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My advice is just keep at it. I think you might be like I was at the start. After years of losing weight the wrong way (i.e. starving myself) my body and inparticular my metabolism was messed up. So when I started myfitness I was already running and not eating the calories from exercise but my weight was never under control.

When I started the program I put on weight the first 3 weeks, then it evened off and now it's falling slowly and steadily. The way it was explained to me is it takes a while for your body to realise it doesn't have to store all this stuff and for your metabolism to increase. Your body is changing and muscle is heavier than fat.

This is the right way to lose weight, it's hard slow but it's been proven to work long term. You're doing great don't get disheartened I promise you it will kick in.
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think that you could try to eat more. Try for 2-3 weeks changing your goal from 2 lbs loss each week to 1 or even .5 lbs each week. You need to fuel your body in order to help it lose the weight. Keep at it!
  • lstd
    lstd Posts: 40
    Options
    I too had this issue and I'm like you .. I'm soooooo focused on that number! I started doing some strength training (sculpting classes) and i picked up my calories amount in eating and really started to watch my sugars.. and then all of a sudden the scale was moving! keep us informed on how your doing!
  • amlee28
    amlee28 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement. I will lower my weight loss goals and see if it helps, Im not going to give up without a fight!