Is it ok to still be hungry?

Options
Knash82
Knash82 Posts: 9 Member
So, I'm finding that after my meals, I'm still hungry. Is this ok? Should I be alittle bit hungry while I'm adjusting to the new amount of food/calories I'm taking in? Is it because I'm eating less carbs/fatty foods?

Or should I eat until I'm not hungry any more?

(I'm writing this mostly because it's lunch, and I'm still hungry after my salad/veggies/apple!)

Replies

• abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Hi! I took a quick look at your diary, and you're probably still hungry because your protein intake is super low. Ideally you should get one gram of protein per pound of your goal weight (so for me, my goal weight is 125lbs, I aim to take 125 g protein daily). There are some days where you have less than 20 grams! Your body can't build any new muscle without protein. It'll keep you full longer.

Cut out the soda and chips. Replace it with Greek yogurt, or protein shakes, or something nutritional! Those things are just adding more empty calories to your diet that aren't necessarily going to help in your weight loss.

Also try getting more fiber in your diet. Together, protein and fiber will keep you satiated much longer.
  • Knash82
    Options
    thanks! I didn't know about the ratio of grams of protein per lb of goal weight. That's a good tip!
    FWIW: the chips are typically a one off. We had them in the house from DH's party, and they were staring me in the face!
  • ncstategal01
    ncstategal01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! So I took a look at your diary and I have several pieces of advice for you to be successful. First, you are eating a lot of processed foods. These will really hurt you in your weight loss goal. Plus, they really aren't good for you. There are also a number of foods that are high on the glycemic index. These are foods that spike your blood sugar and then cause you to crash (Breads, yogurts, etc). This is what makes you feel hungry and/or tired a short while after eating. The key is eating low glycemic index foods that keep your blood sugar from spiking.

Here is my advice. You should be aiming to eat at least one serving of fat, one serving of carbohydrates, and one serving of protein at each meal. You will want your overall balance of the three to be around 20% to 30% carbohydrates and equal percentages of the other two. You do not have to have this percentage at each meal, but your daily totals should be around these numbers. Now, a lot of people see the advice above and freak out. We have been led to believe that "low fat" and "low calorie" items are good for us. Not true!!! There are good fats such as nuts that help to make you feel full! All you need to add to a meal is a small handful, which gives you those good mono unstaurated fats and help you feel full longer. Fats tend to take the longest to digest. You are eating a TON of complex carbohydrates (breads, candy, etc.). Your body responds to these the same way as if you were eating cake!

The hardest part is learning what falls into each category and which items are good/not so good for you. Here are some examples.

Good Carbohydrates:
    Veggies
    Fruits
    Sweet Potatoes

Bad Carbohydrates (think Cake!!!):
    Pastas
    Breads
    White Potatoes
    Candy
    Corn

Good Protein:
    Lean meats like chicken, turkey, etc.
    Eggs (Whites are better)

Bad Protein:
    Processed meats like salomi, bacon, etc.
    Dairy like yogurt and cheese - this one surprises people, but it actually is very high on the glycemic indes and spikes your blood sugar significantly. There are better ways to get your calcium!

Good Fats:
    Nuts
    Avacados

Bad Fats:
    Animal Fats (found in say a McDonalds hamburger)
    Pure butter

These are just a few examples to help guide you. Let me know if you need any help! The best way to stick to a healthy diet is to avoid the grocery store aisles and stick to the perimeter!
  • Knash82
    Options
    Thank you! This is what I need! I need to know what's a good carb vs bad carb, etc.