Anyone heard that white bread can help gluten sensitivity?

Options
Wisewoman888
Wisewoman888 Posts: 72 Member
Hi All,

I just went to a food intolerance seminar last night and it mentioned that people with gluten intolerance can quite often tolerate white refined grains and bread.

Is this true? Because if it is, it would solve a lot of problems for me right now! The children are really wanting sandwiches and toast but I know that if they eat our old homemade german grain bread they'll get their reactions back. The gluten free bread just doesn't measure up. Being really new too the whole gluten free thing for me personally is easy, but for the children is really hard.I'm content with gluten free bread, rice crackers, rice cakes etc, but they're still detoxing I think.

Anybody done this before? and what was the result?

Replies

• Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would not, it has flour in it.

Trader Joe's has a decent brown rice bread. You always freeze gluten-free bread and always toast it (GF bread is so gross non-toasted). Ener-G brand is gross to me, as most brands are. Food For Life has great almond/pecan and or brown rice freezer bread, good toasted or warmed up only.

the best tasting is to make your own or from a mix.
  • Wisewoman888
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, but we live in a rural country town in Australia with no Trader Joes! We will be moving to the US soon however!!!

But I do like the idea of making our own, I've just bought my first GF breadmix. Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • Always824
    Always824 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been Gluten-free since committing to my then boyfriend, now fiance going on 6months now... He has celiac disease and I must say, it was definitely hard at first as I love me some good bread. It's good your children are starting young to get into the swing of things.

Whole Foods has a great gluten free selection ranging from pizzas, banana-nut bread, battered fish to even regular bread. I'd recommend the brand Udi's. Don't get it confused with Rudi's though as Rudi's has a selection of gluten products.

I hope this helps :)
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    yeah, as an australian living in the US, let me tell you - the options for us celiacs over here kick australias butt. its because the regulations are more relaxed here - in aus, if anything has gluten in it, no matter how much, it cant be gluten free. in the US & UK, as long as it has less than 20 parts per million, it is 'gluten free', as in, studies have shown thats what we can handle. the bread is better over here (i can even eat udi's without toasting it), and bagels, and the best part? all of our lollies and chocolate at home are made with wheat, and over here - made with corn! haha. thats probably not a good thing.

ANYWAY. i visited the US many times before living here and i used to stock up on stuff before i went home, but if i needed something whilst over there, you can order udi's and stuff online at amazon, which is awesome.

other than that, im not really sure, as i just didnt eat bread in australia, i was content with the rice cakes too.
  • er1nya
    er1nya Posts: 87
    Options
    Rudi's does make a multigrain gluten free bread that is delicious though! It's in the freezer section. I like it better than Udi's because it has much less ingredients.
  • Wisewoman888
    Options
    yeah, as an australian living in the US, let me tell you - the options for us celiacs over here kick australias butt. its because the regulations are more relaxed here - in aus, if anything has gluten in it, no matter how much, it cant be gluten free. in the US & UK, as long as it has less than 20 parts per million, it is 'gluten free', as in, studies have shown thats what we can handle. the bread is better over here (i can even eat udi's without toasting it), and bagels, and the best part? all of our lollies and chocolate at home are made with wheat, and over here - made with corn! haha. thats probably not a good thing.

ANYWAY. i visited the US many times before living here and i used to stock up on stuff before i went home, but if i needed something whilst over there, you can order udi's and stuff online at amazon, which is awesome.

other than that, im not really sure, as i just didnt eat bread in australia, i was content with the rice cakes too.

Awesome! Thanks for that! How are you going over there? I'm so excited but we've been in this process now for 8months and getting a tad over it! But looking forward to a new life that's for sure! :tongue:
  • Wisewoman888
    Options
    Thanks you guys! Unfortunately I had already done a big shop before I got these answers and bought two white loaves! :grumble: The children aren't as bad as me or hubby and are still in the throws of detoxing so I might try 1-2 slices and then chuck the rest depending on the result.
    BUT I did buy a whole bunch of GF breadmixes that I've heard were brilliant so we won't suffer for too long I hope! And a few already made loaves so we won't starve while they bake!
    Thanks again for your input!:flowerforyou:
  • joyfuldutchgirl
    Options
    i would still try to avoid the white bread--maybe give it to a neighbor? detoxing is hard enough and even small bits can set you backward--lengthening the detox time (and the gluten cravings). the glorious part is, once you're done detoxing...you'll never look back. it's been four years for our family and i have no regrets and no desire to eat gluten (since my symptoms are so severe). it's such a great feeling. kudos to you for taking this step for your family. you can do it!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Gluten is what makes that white bread so nice and soft and elastic. Get rid of it. It will not help your detox or cravings. It will make it worse. If you can't get or afford or make your own bread, then live on whole foods of other sorts - fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, potatoes, rice, etc. White bread is not safe.