Exercise Modifications

Options
Bikini_Bound150
Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
I would like to continue the 30 Day Shred, but I quit as soon as I found out I'm pregnant because I'm worried about what it could do to the baby. I'm 5 weeks along as of today. What kind of modification do you do to your workouts when you're pregnant? Has anyone tried 30 DS and know of specific modifications I could do? I want to stay active but I don't know what workouts are acceptable while pregnant!

Thanks!

Replies

• Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was doing that video a couple times a week until just recently (I'm 17.5 weeks). I'd say as long as you were doing it before, keep it up- just stop when you're tired and make sure you're getting enough water. Also, maybe don't do some of the AB parts where you're laying on your back. That help?
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I agree, just pay attention to your body. I personally use a heart rate monitor and don't let my hr get higher than 150.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this too - I'm still doing zumba and have to remind myself to keep one foot on the floor at all times. I shouldn't do the jumps and higher impact stuff, so I just have to remind myself to modify. The other ladies here gave great advice - just take it down a notch from what you were doing, but you should be fine to continue!
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The only modification I am making (doing 30DS and RI30) is to the ab part. Just hold a plank or side plank for the ab section. Its important that you don't lay on your back incase your blood pressure drops and this will make you dizzy. Also unless your absolutely doing the abs correct then you could push the muscles out and this won't help if they begin to separate as the weeks go on (disastis recti). Other than that just going until you can't! Drink loads of water. I'm at the same point as you so these are the changes I'm making.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I am doing Body Revolution by Jillian Michaels, I was doing this program before I was pregnant and before body revolution I did 30DS, Ripped in 30, and 6week 6pk. I have been modifying the moves and I don't push myself very hard anymore. I am 6+weeks pregnant. I also keep an eye on heart-rate level. Once it hits 150, I slow it down.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The doctor never told me to watch my heart rate. Normally when i run my heartrate is 160+. Maybe i need to stop running and just walk i guess?
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    jaime - I was wondering the same thing on the HR. when I met with my doctor before we started TTC, she didn't say anything about my HR, but I'm curious now. in zumba mine still gets into the 170s so I may need to call and ask about that
  • rlwzgd
    rlwzgd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My doctor said use the talk test (try and sing the ABCs - HR isn't that accurate across people), drink plenty of water and listen to your body.

On this same note, has anyone been told not to lift above 20 lbs? My husband is freaking out every time I lift something, but I can't find a basis for it other than an old wives tale.
  • chickybuns
    Options
    I would ask your doctor about the heart rate. I know it isn't consistent across everyone, I am just one of those people who needs a more objective basis than the ABCs, so I just go with under 150.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    My doctor said for me not to lift more than 20 to 25 pounds... However, I admit there are days I do lift more and don't realize, but I try not to go too far over. I was lifting stuff (at work) before I got pregnant, so it's not like my body isn't used to it, so I just make sure I feel comfortable and when I don't I get help or ask the men.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My doc told me not to lift over 20lbs, too, because your joints become looser while you're pregnant. She doesn't want me to pop a shoulder out of place at the gym! She also said the same thing a few others have mentioned about HR and the talk test. If you're so winded you can't talk, you need to slow down. Something about the blood going to your muscles and not enough going to the uterus.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It seems that everyone's doctors alway tell them different opinions, it's so weird. I don't understand why everything isn't all across the board, at least for normal non high risk pregnancies. Anyway I was told not to let my heart rate go over 140. Some people are told other things. I was not told anything about the limit of what I could lift but I never asked. My daughter weighs in the upper 20's and I pick her up all the time. One thing he did say at my very first appointment was that after 20 weeks he didn't want me doing any exerises that were high impact or involved jumping up and down, like running. He said the elliptical was fine.
  • chickybuns
    Options
    It seems that everyone's doctors alway tell them different opinions, it's so weird. I don't understand why everything isn't all across the board, at least for normal non high risk pregnancies. Anyway I was told not to let my heart rate go over 140. Some people are told other things. I was not told anything about the limit of what I could lift but I never asked. My daughter weighs in the upper 20's and I pick her up all the time. One thing he did say at my very first appointment was that after 20 weeks he didn't want me doing any exerises that were high impact or involved jumping up and down, like running. He said the elliptical was fine.

that is funny about the different things we hear. Also, many women run throughout their pregnancies. I have been sticking to lower impact stuff though just to be safe, but I wasn't a consistent runner before.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Ugh im more confused now that i was before! looks like i will just stick with my current plan and modify it the further along i get.

Seems like alot of people were told not to lift heavy. CRAP! i have been benching kinda heavy ( 100lbs) guess i should just nix that for now
  • Exna
    Exna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was told to do the same routine I was doing before pregnancy (Turbo Fire and Chalean Extreme) ..
    For Turbo Fire : I do not do the HIIT part to a 100% since before before pregnant I was wayy out of breath ... I modify all the moves and try not to jum a lot.
    Regarding the weight training (CLX) I was told not to lift more than 30 pounds...

For me the "talk test" works, if I find myself going out of breath I just slow down, the HRM of 140 is inacurrate and dated (Plenty of information on internet from good sources)

But the overall advise is to listen to your body, dress for excercise and drink plenty of fluids :) .... now is NOT the time to push ourselves to your limits, you have a little one that needs to be taken care of :) .... excercise is such an important part of anybody but I think food is sooo important as well .. I can be killing myself excercising during pregnancy but if after I give my body junk food... then I will gain weight that I don't need, I hope I can still keep this mentality during the rest of my pregnancy ;)

Hope this helps! :) ...
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    my daughter is over 25lbs and I pick her up all the time, I'll have to talk to my Dr. about it at my check up. I guess we have to listen to our body and it will tell us our limits. If i feel like i am pushing myself too hard, i take it down a few notches until I feel better. I can't really do the "talk" test cause I'm usually working out with my mouth closed and I don't talk to myself. LOL.. I guess if my daughter was arounf during workouts I can try it out on her. But I just pay attention to my HR, if it goes hi;gh and i feel my heart pumping I slow down. Do whatever your dr advises you and what you feel is best for you and your baby :))