Women's road bikes

I'm gearing up (so to speak) for a 100-mile bike ride on June 30th. I'm currently riding a Trek 5200 which was a great bike 12-14 years ago when I bought it. I want one that is a high performance, but is a little more 'forgiving' on roads. Plus, it would be nice if the bike was sized for women in terms of stem length, etc.

Anyone out there having good success with a woman's road bike they've purchased in the last few years??

Thanks!

Oh, and if you're up for it - I'm soliciting pledges for help buy bicycles for girls in Africa as part of the 100 mile ride...and, there are more spots open for riders. Very motivating!

http://action.worldbicyclerelief.org/page/outreach/view/redbell-100/Kelly

Replies

• AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    IMHO, I don't put too much stock into women-specific geometry. I used to think that the frames were different, but after looking up the detailed frame specs for men's & women's bikes from several major manufacturers, I realized the frames were often exactly the same (just different colors) and the handlebars, saddles, sometimes stems, and sometimes crank lengths were the only true differences. Oh, and the women's bikes usually came with lower-end components, FWIW. I think it's pretty sad when the "highest-end" women's bike still has only mid-grade components (compared to the highest-end comparative men's model). It's not always the case, but still...

I strongly recommend getting a professional fit done at a reputable shop and then pick a bike based on your personal dimensions. Then you are getting a bike that's tailored to YOU and it will feel and perform the best for you. (It may be a women's bike, it may not.)

I went full-custom on my latest road bike and, boy, do I love it! (and it's one of a kind!)

Good luck on your bike search. Try not to let the specs and the options and sales people overwhelm you. (It should be fun, right?) When you finally test ride that bike that fits your body like a glove, you'll know. :-)
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Thinking about your post a little bit more.... I also do a lot of long-distance rides. I went with a full carbon frame that's well known for its steady handling and "plush" road feel. I bought a Specialized Roubaix Pro frame (men's) and then did a frame-up build so I could hand pick the components for performance & fit. I know Specialized makes a women's model (the Ruby) that comes in various builds that would offer the same famous ride characteristics. (And no, I don't work for Specialized... Just a bike geek.)
  • balaena
    balaena Posts: 3
    Very helpful...thanks! And, I've wondered about the men's vs. women's bikes...had no idea the components were less high end on the women's bikes. That's really annoying. I'm looking at Specialized ..Ruby...and the Trek Madone.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Trek's are always a good bet - the Madone 4.6 & 5.2 WSDs are quite lovely builds for the money. You may also look at Giant's Avail and TCR series (the women's TCR Advanced was Bicycling Mag's 2012 Editor's Choice) and Felt's ZW series (Felts often appear beneath many women Olympians & world champions).

Some other well-regarded women's carbon road bikes on the market include - Scott's Contessa race line (Scotts are a favorite w/the race set in my town), Fuji's Supreme line (a whole lotta bike for the $$$), BH Cristal (racy & light), and FOCUS' Izalco Donna (an unusual little gem). If you're looking to spend a little more coin, I just discovered that Pinarello has quite a lovely mid-range women's specific bike (FP Quattro Easy-Fit Force/Rival Women's) for around $3600. Being under 4K, it made me drool a little… Ah, Pinarello. (sigh.)

Now you're making me want a new bike, too. Good luck finding your next ride!
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Also Trek has a lifetime warranty on the frames.
  • ciarq
    ciarq Posts: 13 Member
    Hi - About a year ago I finally upgraded from a nearly 30 year old Ross to a new Cannondale synapse 5 (woman specific) - I followed advice of a number of more serious riders I know, and boy am I happy with it.

1. test, test, test - I signed up for some test rides and called around to different local bike shops for their poilicies, as well as some not-so-local ones around some shorter legs of organized rides. I rode a giant, a trek and a couple of other bikes for at least 30 minutes, including hills, descents, etc.

2. go to a shop with a professional, fit knowlegeable sales staff and real professional fitting - try the different options in and around your price point and then, once you've selected, get a true professional fit with the shoes and pedals you really use (or buy at the same time). And make sure that the bike shop is there for the long haul so that they'll stand behind the bike, the fit, and make any adjustments needed as you ride.

Listen to your own body and hold out for something that feels great to you, riding the way that you do.

For me, several of the womens specific bikes felt better than the unisex, but not all of them. Bicycle magazine's (bicycling.com) recent issue had a short blurb - they say it can be but isn't necessarliy good and they talk about why - which is mainly that supposedly we need a more upright stance. Since I'm a recreational rider that's certainly true of me vs the guys I know that are into racing...

good luck
  • Tracey_Smith
    Tracey_Smith Posts: 199
    I have a Scott Contessa CR1 Team and she'd a dream, especially once I got rid of the saddle and added a Sella Italia Diva :wink:
  • I think it's important to note that many women specific bikes are a different geometry than men's. A stem can be changed on any bike, but the length of the top tube (which is typically shorter on WSD) cannot. This being said, I don't think any woman should feel compelled to buy WSD just because of gender.

Test ride anything and everything, men's and women's. I ended up riding a variety of bikes when I was looking and it's important to ride some higher ends ones too. I ended up test riding a bunch of bikes at my LBS. I had heard good things about Cannondale, but they didn't have a WSD in my size to test. Turned out that the woman working there had a bike in my size that was her's and she was planning to sell it. It fit me perfectly and I got it for a third of the price because she bought it just about cost.

I have a Cannondale Synapse, full carbon. It's the perfect compromise between an ultra race geometry (like the SuperSix or Evo) and a heavier, more upright bike. If you want something more comfortable for the long haul, look for bikes that have a taller headtube.

Ok, enough rambling...good luck! Ride everything and don't stop until you find exactly what you want!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    I have a women's specific trek madone 5.2, the components are good the fit is great. All in all I love it. I currently ride a compact double, but might change out a bit to get better top end speed on the flats. It could be because I am small, but I really needed the women specific model especially for the gears & brakes. On my old bike it was very difficult for me to brake efficiently or to ever ride in the drops. I actually had to loosen the brakes so that I could get it started with just a finger (couldn't reach) and then sqeeze, not ideal! Oh and this bike comes with 3 options for different stem heights to make it more or less racey/comfortable. Mine is a 2, somewhere in between.
  • RedSunshine365
    RedSunshine365 Posts: 189 Member
    A WSD bike is only going to be beneficial if there is a) a need for it and b) an actual difference in geometries between it and it's male counterpart.

If you have a longer torso, shorter legs, longer arms, a WSD might not be the best choice - if point B is also true.

Many women have longer legs but shorter arms than men, which means we need a frame that has a shorter top tube that also gives you enough standover. And while I fall into this category, I still found a great fit on a non-WSD bike. I spent a great deal of time looking at Top Tube lengths on the various brands of bikes.

Sometimes a WSD will be very similar in geometry to the non-WSD but you might gain a few bonuses - narrower handlebars and a WSD saddle. That might be a cost savings worth considering.

So while the frame size (such as 54cm) is important, play close attention to the top tube. A stem swap can help, but can only help so much. To short of a stem and you'll be on a twitchy bike.

And don't let a salesman talk you into a WSD just because you happen to be a woman.
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    I also ride a cannondale synapse, full carbon WSD. I am very short 5'3" and fairly petite. I found that the synapse was the best fit for me. I have had it for 2 years now and very happy with it. My husband is a bike snob and he would say that you should not buy anything other than a specialized. I am surprised that he let's me ride with him! :)
  • Keep in mind that shifters/brakes, handlebars, stems, saddles, seat posts can all be swapped out on any bike. There aren't WSD shifters. You can either add a shim to Shimano's to achieve a shorter reach or use SRAM, which has smaller levers and adjustable reach.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Keep in mind that shifters/brakes, handlebars, stems, saddles, seat posts can all be swapped out on any bike. There aren't WSD shifters. You can either add a shim to Shimano's to achieve a shorter reach or use SRAM, which has smaller levers and adjustable reach.

^^^ agree! ^^^ I meet some many women who think women-specific is the law... or that the shift levers or gearing or crank lengths are somehow different (those are industry standard and not women's specific). Saddles - yes. Everything else is pretty much the same. I think companies like Trek have done too good a job marketing their WSD line. Women buy into the hype easily. Ladies need to do a little more personal research and not just follow the sales guy to the women's bike rack.

Cannondale Synapse is a great bike (genuinely highly regarded for it's ride characteristics!) But is there really a difference between the men's and women's frame? Uh, I just looked at the men's and women's synapse carbon 6 apex. Same top tube length. I could compare other dimensions if necessary. Just saying!
  • beachgrad05
    beachgrad05 Posts: 85 Member
    Late to the topic here.

When I got my road bike in April (Trek 3.1 Madone with SRAM Apex) I ended up on the mens 52cm. It just fit me better.

Let us know what you end up doing. Im doing my first Metric Century on June 23...
  • beachgrad05
    beachgrad05 Posts: 85 Member
    Cannondale Synapse is a great bike (genuinely highly regarded for it's ride characteristics!) But is there really a difference between the men's and women's frame? Uh, I just looked at the men's and women's synapse carbon 6 apex. Same top tube length. I could compare other dimensions if necessary. Just saying!

With Trek, there is a difference in frame geometry and effective top tube length between say the 52cm women's road bike and the 52cm men's.

Some dimensions from WSD 3.1 Apex vs 3.1 Apex Mens
    Effective Top Tube: 52.9cm vs 53.4cm
    Frame Reach: 37.1cm vs 37.9cm
    Seat Tube: 49cm vs 49.3cm
    Head Tube: 15.5cm vs 14cm

So with Trek, there IS a difference between the frames. So you should ride them and see what FITS
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Agreed. Some women's bikes are different, but some are not. I guess I was just trying to make the point that the "women's" label isn't a guarantee that it's been re-engineered. And if they don't have the women's model in the right size in stock (or it's more expensive that what someone hoped to spend), it's worth checking out the men's bikes just in case.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    So with Trek, there IS a difference between the frames.

On the Trek example, the top tube and seat tube were different by 5mm or less (<1%) - that's tiny. The reach was 2%. I was surprised at the difference in head tube length, though - which affects the rider "uprightness" by a noticeable amount. Of course, numbers are numbers. If the women's bike fits better, then it's the right choice. Agreed.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Also Trek has a lifetime warranty on the frames.

Assuming they actually honor their warranty. In the past year I have read several really horrid accounts of Trek dropping customers. I won't ever buy a Trek, now, and I grew up in Trek-land.
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=47525
  • AlwaysInMotion

Assuming they actually honor their warranty. In the past year I have read several really horrid accounts of Trek dropping customers.

I know 2 folks that broke Gary Fisher 29er (aka Trek) frames, which were replaced by Trek. (I suspect it was a known design flaw, hence "no questions asked".) Of course, Trek/GF's frame warranty policies are now noticeably more restrictive (several MTB models are now excluded). The problem is, I don't know that many "normal" riders (i.e., not racers) that break frames - it's almost always the other stuff, which isn't always covered. I think a lot of it boils down to how supportive your local Trek bike shop is. I have had bad luck with mine, too. They're super helpful when selling you the new bike, but not so much when you have a problem with said bike and need warranty work done. :grumble:
  • I think the women's cannondale synapse has different geometry than the men's, at least it did in 2009 when I researched the heck out of this and bought a Synapse Red. I've heard some not-so-favorable things about Treks and using their warranty. Of course it always helps to find a bike shop you like, be loyal and form a good relationship with them.