55% of nurses are overweight or obese

Options
tnrunningnurse
tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
I am watching the show The Revolution and they just gave this stat. Some of the reasons given, shift work, patients and family give thanks by bringing food to the nurses station, the stress of the job.

Replies

• ktlynn447
    ktlynn447 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how it is where you work.... but my night shift crew will find any excuse to cook/bake and bring in tons of food. Birthdays, babies, weddings, retirements, moving..... all likely excuses. Also, I don't think working nights is any help. It's so hard to stay on a normal schedule as far as eating goes.
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I guess I never really thought about it because my last job, I worked on a unit that the RNs were super healthy. My new unit, not so much. I noticed that with the exception of me and maybe 4 other RNs, out of the 40-some of us, just about everybody is overweight. That being said- when you look at what the hospital tends to serve for cafeteria food, it doesn't help. Especially on the night shift. Always fried food. That's why I pack my own food!
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how it is where you work.... but my night shift crew will find any excuse to cook/bake and bring in tons of food. Birthdays, babies, weddings, retirements, moving..... all likely excuses. Also, I don't think working nights is any help. It's so hard to stay on a normal schedule as far as eating goes.

^^^ Kind of how my department is, but all my co-workers have been extremely supportive of my lifestyle change. :smile:
  • happyagain80
    happyagain80 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wowsers makes me nervous to work night shifts as a new grad!
  • moosmumma
    moosmumma Posts: 25
    Options
    I can believe that stat. I think it's because nurses tend to graze rather that take proper breaks. Also all the "thank you" chocs and biscuits are too easily accessible at the nurses station. Night shifts are worse if it's a first night and you've been up all day and ate your regular foods and all those ' naughties' are soooooo tempting
  • poeticallydevine
    poeticallydevine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i had to get to the point that when some outside company brings snacks and treats to the nurses station, i removed them quickly.. i had to start asking the outside vendors/promotion people, whatever they wanna call themselves..to start bringing fruit or something. so now when they see me at the nurses station they are like.. "i guess you don't want these cupcakes huh".. i sure don't and they take their empty calories with them back out the door. lol
  • lilblond5342
    lilblond5342 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I worked hospital, then home health, then back to hospital nursing, then back to home health. I'll have to say my eating habits were worse while I was a hospital nurse. 12 hours on my feet, barely a break, and then driving thru for fast food before going home and crashing. I usually worked 2-3 days in a row and commuted 45 min one way---not alot of time for sleep in between shifts so all foods/drinks were fast and caffeinated to keep me awake! Not to mention the stress of the job, comfort food eating, and lack of structured exercise (too sore or tired on days off to exercise).... Then come the holidays and all the food sent by patients and physicians! Some sent in fruit baskets but that was rare.

Now, in home health, I take my lunch to work and allow for my snacks too. I am still tempted by the fast food, but try to make healthier choices like unsweetened tea at McDonalds and salads when I have time to sit down and eat my lunch. The MFP app on my iphone has been great in that respect!