Eating too much?

Options
sarajo16
sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
I'm wondering am I eating too much! I feel fat and bloated and horrible rather than pregnant. I'm eating around 1800 cals per day so its a massive jump from my previous 1400. Is this too much for the first trimester? I'm doing Pilates 4 hours per week and RI30.

Replies

• helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have eaten maintence calories through first and second Tri. Im eating about 200 more now in 3rd Tri. My midwife advised me of this. My maintence is approx 1800 per day. Im 5'7 and was 142 before pregnant. Im up 25lb which is prob a bit high (29 weeks). But I feel good and baby measuring on target so I am continuing.

Everyone will be advised differently but i dont think 1800 is too much. Sounds about right to me. I think you feel more bloated in the first tri, loads of water helps me with that - feel much better.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I don't think 1800 is too much. Are you getting enough fiber? That could be part of the bloated, and make sure you are drinking enough water. I ate around 2000 for the first trimester and usually went over because I was so hungry all the time, and now eat around 2300, and my weight gain is on track, just on the high side. But I feel it would be about perfect if I didn't go over so much in the first trimester.
  • michie27
    michie27 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I don't think 1800 is too much either. I have my calories set at maintenance, around 1900. I've already gained about 5 lbs but I'm not surprised I'm over practically every day and my exercise has been limited by my doctor.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think 1800 sounds great - I'm eating at least 2400 (my maintenance) and feel a bit heavier as well, but I know it's what baby needs! Your body is likely adjusting to the higher calories :)
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Remember that your blood volume is increasing dramatically (up 40-50% by the 3rd trimester) and you've got lots of rising hormones which can slow down your digestive system (progesterone especially). That bloated feeling you are experiencing is not likely to be fat early in pregnancy, but fluid retention.

I feel the same way so this is what I keep telling myself at least. :happy:
  • jenns65
    jenns65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water to help with the bloat. I was very bloated in the first trimester and I have to watch my sodium or I swell really bad. I am eating 1920 cals and I am 19 weeks. I started out overweight by 15 lbs so I have to be really careful. I am up 15 lbs and my goal it 25 lbs total so I have to watch what I am eating and get back into walking since I am feeling better.
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I changed mine from 1,600 (plus eating most my exercise calories back) to 1,900 without eating my exercise calories back. I am super bloated too, which I think is why I am up 5 lbs in the first trimester but I'm working on exercising more and drinking more water so that takes care of some of the bloat.

1,800 sounds perfect to me!