Single parents?

Options
I'm a single mom of a very adorable 5 year old. I haven't been away from her for more than 3 nights and that was always for work. Today is now my 2nd night of 6 at home doing nothing because my parents decided they wanted to take her on vacation. I HATE it and don't know what to do with myself. I think it is harder because all of my kidless friends were out of town this weekend so I didn't even have anyone to hang out with to keep my mind off her being gone. I'm actually looking forward to going to work the rest of the week just to keep myself busy.

Replies

• kmorris123
    kmorris123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom too, been this way for going on six years. I'm thankful though that I have parents who will help me when I need it and my ex-mother in law is a gem! She's always ready to take my little man if I need a break. It's really hard to be away from him for a long period of time, but I know I can pick up the phone and call him if I want to hear his voice. I've only had two weeks in his 7 years that I have spent away from him. One was a week in the hospital when he was two (I went into respiratory failure) and a week at church camp. I hope the next few days go quickly for you so that you can be with your child again, but take the next day or two to think of something you've wanted to do and haven't been able to do, like grocery shop alone or bra shop. I was tickled pink to shop for a new bra the other day and not have my kid putting the bras on his head and commenting on how they fit. The week will be over before you know it.:smile:
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Im a single mom to a 4 y/o little girl living in a new area 4 hours away from all my family and any friends I have ... So far I love the area and love my job BUT I HATE being home alone all the time (cant have too many enlightening conversations with my baby girl). I probably need to get out and mingle but realistically I don't trust random people with my daughter and her daycare does not have night hours .... I dont know what Im going to do ... :-(
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Single mommy to an almost 9 year old boy. I have been doing it full-time since I was 2 months pregnant.

It is hard making friends who understand my situation. People I meet are either happily married with kids, OR single and able to go out on a whim... Neither understand how hard it is to arrange child care, or that my time and finances are VERY stretched out.

That being said... My son makes me SO happy! I would never ask for a life without him!
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of three teen/preteens. I get two weeks a year when the kids go to their grandparents house over the summer. Two weeks is about all I can handle of them being away. But I try to enjoy the time as much as possible.

Togden: have you tried getting together with parent groups? There's a site called Meetup.com that lists a lot of different interest groups pretty much everywhere. You may be able to find someone in a similar situation as you. If you do some group activities that could lead to getting to know someone well enough to exchange daycare for nights out.