Singles: 600. Double Unders: ZERO!!

Options
rainbos
rainbos Posts: 75 Member
I mastered 600 singles, with a a lotta tripping, but going without a break. YAY! But I still can't muster up ONE double under. Any tips? I guess its silly to ask online, cos I need a live demo. I saw a previous posting on buying jump ropes.... anyone want to share again what jump rope I could buy and practice at home?

And christ, I didnt think I would be able to get through 100 wall balls!! With that many, I only opted for the 10 pound ball. I had to take a short pause/breather every 5 wall balls at the end. I think I just drag out the pain that way. Probably better to shoot for sets of like 25.

Replies

• BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    took me a long time to get my double unders - I bought a rope from buyjumprope.com - I get the plastic coated one as it lasts a little longer.
    I actually spent 5-10 minutes AFTER every WOD for months and months working on double unders - I figured, if I'm tired and can do this, how awesome would that be - and you always have the socializers that can come help with technique.

Don't give up - keep trying it - one day it just clicked
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I prefer the again faster speed rope. What you need to focus on when you do the skip is getting the rope under while you are up. Too often people freak out and start the rotation on the down part of the skip.

I hate wall balls. and thrusters...
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link to buy a speed rope. My boyfriend has been looking for one of those so he can practice double unders at home. He has been practicing before the WOD and is actually getting pretty good at them.

I think I'm going to have to do that with box jumps (practice before the WOD). I've only been doing this for a couple months so i'm still at short boxes. :-) I can jump on a 16 inch mat, and can put weights on the 12in box to get it up to 20in... but for some reason I can't jump on that stupid 18 in box.... The actually box scares the hell out of me!
  • nutmeg0686
    nutmeg0686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been CrossFitting for just about 2 years and I am up to only 3 double unders in a row. They are quite difficult for me! What helped me get the general motion down was to practice the rhythm and timing WITHOUT a rope. Single jumps require a much different rhythm than double unders. So, just to get the timing and motions down, I would jump in place holding the invisible rope handles to get the double wrist flick down.

Also, in the beginning I would always do 10-20 single jumps and then try to go into double unders. Using this method, I was rarely able to get even one double under. What worked better for me was to start right off with double unders instead. I found that switching rhythms was harder for me. But, it's different for everyone. I'm sure I'll lose my skill improvement now since I actually broke my foot last week practicing double unders. Boo. Be careful, but you'll get them! It's just harder for some of us :)
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am decent at DUs, but it took me ages to get them. Now I can generally string together 20 in a row, my best is about 40. I think the key is making sure you are jumping straight up like a massai warrior and making sure your wrists are rotating fast enough.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I picked up DUs pretty easily. I can do 25 in a row after a month of cf. I think its mainly a rhythm and agility thing so you can try listening to the rope as you're turning it. Sounds weird but it helps me.
  • believeandtry
    believeandtry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    SEriously all about rhythm. Also, hold the handles by the end and flick your wrist down in a fast motion. It is a lot of fast wrist+rhythm+jumping a little hire than singles.

Also, the rogue fitness speed bearing rope is AWESOME! i went from 10 in a row to 47 unbroken ones!
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I finally was able to do a double under today!! WOD had 10 of them - I couldn't string them together but did get them done with many singles in between. I was so excited!!
  • rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    ME TOOOO!!!!!! I finally did about 5 or 6 double unders (not in a row) last week!! YAY!

The trick was to focus more on the hands than feet, because I was trying to spin like super-fast-crazy before, and that didnt work. You need to spin like crazy, but follow a rhythm of quick-slight pause-quick-slight pause. That's what someone at the box told me (over a beer), and that helped.
  • jillystjohn
    Options
    watching the buddy lee you tube videos was helpful for me
  • revadiana
    revadiana Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was able to do maybe 10 - 12 at most...

Then I bought a speed rope and now able to string about 20-30 on average. My best was 49.. pissed I choked before I got to 50! LOL