Challenge & Struggle & Perspective

Options
sportygal
sportygal Posts: 221 Member
It's interesting how we accept or not accept challenges. It is often so easy to be negative and give up when we face obstacles. You see a wall, you turn and leave instead of trying to find a solution to getting past that wall. And finding that solution while maintaining a positive attitude, well that's crazy right?
How many people do you know that get enthusiastic and emit positive energy when up against a wall? Probably more the opposite. Failure is just another opportunity to begin again more intelligently. I have failed over and over and boy is it frustrating!! Of course more times that not I don't embrace the challenge with vigor and enthusiasm...I cry and fall into a spiral of self pity. That's not going to solve the problem.
This time is the latest injury among many in the past.....and it hurts and stings a little more each time because I regret past failures. Well that isn't going to do any good for me to focus on the past. All I can do is decide how I'm going to deal with the present and be more intelligent in my quest.
We all face challenges and injuries are evidence that we need to move in a more intelligent direction, if anything, on how we deal with the injury. I have the sick joke that I have a back injury that hurts more when I sit, which makes it hard to rest! But I just can laugh at that instead of thinking of it as cruel irony. Things happen and I'm blessed that I'm still able to do a lot of exercises. I do have some acquaintances that care about me, and I can smile and enjoy being around them instead of being angry, frustrated and sad with my circumstances. We all have to endure different things....I guess my path is enduring setbacks, but instead of thinking of them as setbacks, I can think of them as time of reflections...where I need to regroup and go in a more intelligent direction.
Well whatever injury you face or what challenges you endure, stay positive and it is your choice to be a success or give up. You hold the power. You might have to modify or change things you do, but you can do a lot more than you think!

Replies

• briebebe
    briebebe Posts: 21
    Options
    I've been dealing with a back injury for a year and a half, just had a bit of a relapse, but found that I am more aware of the way my body moves due to the injury. Do I like not being able to do all the stuff I use to do, heck no! Can I do most of it, yes! And, I found other activities I enjoy too. Hope we get more members here. Positive outlook, pity once in awhile to keep it real.
  • Boudican
    Boudican Posts: 1
    Options
    My favorite way of getting exercise is dancing. I was dancing 5 days a week when I bruised a bone in my foot. I have not been able to dance on it (or do much walking) for about the last month and a half. I am really surprised how this injury has affected me. I have been really depressed and discouraged.
  • Snowbird73
    Snowbird73 Posts: 25
    Options
    In trying to meet a Fitbit challenge of 10 flights of stairs per day plus 10,000 steps, I ignored the fact that my knees are not up to that much repetitive bending. Asa result, I could barely walk for a week:angry: It was a setback that I found very depressing. Now I am back on track but mindful of what my body is capable of doing and what it cannot do. :heart:
  • Mcrogol
    Mcrogol Posts: 5
    Options
    Fighting through an injury - taking stock of what you can do - being mindful of what you can't is hard!! 9 months ago the bunion on my right foot made it difficult to even stand on my feet in the mornings because I was running. So, I dropped the running and picked up swimming. Boy was it a hard transition to go from coming home from work and putting on my running shoes to packing a bag and going to the pool after work. Fast forward to now - I've had the surgery to correct my foot and have been on the couch for 4 weeks. I have two more to go. The incision is closed and the one thing I can do for exercise - back a bag and go to the pool. Just by the shear fact that I have been unable to do much of anything for the last four weeks has me excitingly anticipating my return to the pool. All I needed was a flip of perspective...while I haven't enjoyed this recovery time, and at times it has been downright depressing-I will not bummed out about ONLY being able to swim ever again. So, I am in agreement, this time to reflect has bettered me and helped my outlook long term.
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've had a bad back for about 3 years now and have had various different diagnoses about what's wrong with it. Each medical professional is in agreement about one thing though, lose some weight and it will get better. And my most recent consultation with a physio is that core exercises are what will cure the problem.

The hard part is powering through the pain. I try my best not to take too many painkillers as I don't want to get hooked on them, and they make me awful hungry! so sometimes its harder to get up and go than I'd hope, but I carry on because it'll help me in the long run.

Good luck to all of you going through similar issues
  • Krystal915
    Krystal915 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Back in in 09 I twisted my ankle in a dance class and soon after threw out the right side of my neck, trap and shoulder in a combat class. I nursed it and did everything I was suppose to but following that in Feb of '10 I threw out my lower lumbar on my left side in another dance class. I jumped right but my body stayed left :( Let's just say I was walking like I was 9 months pregnant for a week!

Thanks to physical therapy, massage therapy, accupuncture, chiropractors and regular Sports Med/Ortho Docs the ankle and back are good to go. The neck and shoulders on the other hand still give me problems depending on what I do with them- and I had 8 rounds of injections in both :(

Within the next 6 months I need to get surgery on my left shoulder (compensating shifted the problem left). My muscle is torn from the bone. It either needs to be re-attached or removed. I actually hope for removed because I push myself so much that I feel like I will just snap the thing again, lol.

Needless to say 2.5 yrs later I am still not 100% but I will not give up on 5-6 work out days per week :) I modify, ice, heat, and rest when needed but I can't not do what I enjoy. Hopefully it will get better after surgery. Keep on trucking everyone!
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What a great group! It's nice to see positive attitude from people who are dealing with obstacles. I was in a car accident in 2007, and fractured my knee cap. My knees had never been great in the first place, but after 2 months on crutches, and then 2 months of physio, I regained basic function, but it's not 100% and never will be (so they tell me). So I avoid running, and especially anything with twisting movements (No zumba for me!). On top of that I've now got tennis elbow, so I have this one arm that complains if I do too much with it! I've been doing walking, elliptical, and stationary biking for my workouts, all of which are pretty 'safe' for me, but I worry what I'll do when I get bored with it. Ah well, after those 2 months off my feet altoghether, I'm always just so greatful I can walk, and put on my own socks and undies!
  • NinjaEllie
    NinjaEllie Posts: 3
    Options
    This is a great group, you are all very inspiring. I too suffer from past injuries(kickboxing and Muy Thai) that often come back and make an appearance when I'm on my game of working out. :ohwell: I have noticed that simply listening to my body and resting has helped. Although, my great appreciation is to my Chiroprator, who has truly helped me heal everytime. I wish you all the best of luck towards your healing and on your fitness journeys.

Happy Day! :heart:
  • jodiratliff
    jodiratliff Posts: 19
    Options
    I know what you mean! I have plantar fasciitis in my foot and it hurts so bad! It is really hard to stay motivated when you are in so much pain! Hang in there and keep trying! It will be worth it.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hope you have room for someone with a head injury in this great group!!! Mine is more neurological, as I have epilepsy, but I've been known to give myself the odd concussion from a seizure if I'm standing. I've also broken my arm (not related to the epilepsy) back in November '89, being 11 at the time. Two clean breaks, at the wrist and just below my elbow. It was at night, so I went to sleep in the hospital with my arm up in a sling, and the surgeon that fixed my arm was able to do it without any pins. Of course, now every now and again (quite a few times a day, to be honest) my wrist'll snap or my elbow will pop because of these non-existant pins, and every now and again I can't help but wonder if I ever run the risk of breaking my arm again (or breaking another limb) all on account of a seizure. I'm always wondering about it, and it usually doesn't hurt when my arm pops and snaps, but there's the odd occassion when it does, reminding me of the night it happened. It's not as strong as the other arm (my right was the one I broke, by the way), and when I lift an 8 pound dumbbell upwards in front of me, the reminder becomes pretty evident.
  • Aliciamarie224
    Options
    I love the positivity and perseverance of this group. Many people are so quick to complain or give up when sometimes there is such beauty in facing a challenge.
    Two years ago I was active, living on my own and working 2 jobs when I took quite a fall. I spent the next 9 months and 13 days learning to depend on others as I went through 3 foot surgeries, 9 weeks on crutches, living on my parents couch, a disability leave from work, and endless restrictions I wasn’t used to having on my body. It was as challenging mentally as it was physically. Now, despite some less than attractive scars and occasional pain my wonderful surgeon tells me I am good as new and I am on a mission to get back into decent shape.
    While I still have moments of weakness, I give myself a little pat on the back when someone I know tells me that they can’t believe where I am after what happened.
    Anyone who keeps their chin up while struggling gets a big smile from me.
    Have a great day!
  • HippoNoMore13
    HippoNoMore13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am seeing all kinds of challenges on here and that gives me hope that I am in the right group. I am 53 years young. I was diagnosed with COPD when I was only 37. I have osteoarthritis, but to top it all off, I fell 10 months ago today and broke a vertebra in my spine. While I feel very blessed to be able to walk at all anymore, I still can only walk a very short distance and it has now caused me to have to be on oxygen. I am determined that these setbacks will not get me down. I will lose the weight that I want and need to lose and I think the enthusiasm of each of you will enable me to do that!
  • sportygal
    Options
    Well I guess with all of us...we're not alone. During these times its all a mental test more than anything. Just NEVER SAY NEVER! The only limits we face are the ones we put on ourselves. There will always be obstacles, but with perseverence and determination nothing is impossible even when people say you can't...it's all up to you whether to believe them or not. Here is an inspiring link to a video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are amazing.

I have a damaged MCL per my doctor on my left knee. My fault - going from zero to 6 days a week at jazzercise and while loving it, I am 48 and overweight and my knee said heck no. Then to ad insult to injury I fell in the B&N parking lot. I've exercised on it for about 8 weeks now, toning it down and icing it, wearing a brace and so on but it's not getting any better. Finally, about a week ago I decided to give it a rest and stay off of it. It's the only thing I haven't tried. It's only been 6 days but that feels like an eternity when you have a thing for your workout :-(. I am spending the time stretching though and trying to eat healthier so I don't gain while I'm resting it. I read that just 1 pound adds 8-10 pounds on your knees! I'm so hoping that with rest, weight loss, and a sensible return to my workout I'll heal completely!
  • staceylopriore
    staceylopriore Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love the positivity and perseverance of this group. Many people are so quick to complain or give up when sometimes there is such beauty in facing a challenge.
    Two years ago I was active, living on my own and working 2 jobs when I took quite a fall. I spent the next 9 months and 13 days learning to depend on others as I went through 3 foot surgeries, 9 weeks on crutches, living on my parents couch, a disability leave from work, and endless restrictions I wasn’t used to having on my body. It was as challenging mentally as it was physically. Now, despite some less than attractive scars and occasional pain my wonderful surgeon tells me I am good as new and I am on a mission to get back into decent shape.
    While I still have moments of weakness, I give myself a little pat on the back when someone I know tells me that they can’t believe where I am after what happened.
    Anyone who keeps their chin up while struggling gets a big smile from me.
    Have a great day!
  • staceylopriore
    staceylopriore Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    like this group...just fractured my fibula when I took a fall in June. have to be in cast until Aug. 6th. was training for a half marathon and I get bouts of getting pretty bummed out. trying to make sure I dont put weight on during this time. Doing upper body training (just started) to feel like I am doing something! Would appreciate getting to know you all and sharing support
  • SalgadoLena
    SalgadoLena Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you looked for a water aerobics class? It is wonderful and so much fun! It's great on your joints and a fantastic workout. You can workout much harder in the water with a lot less pain.
  • sportygal
    Options
    Update....now along with my torn disc, I have a tendon,capsule problem in my hand/knuckles which is taking me away from boxing.....just another injury to deal with! I'm taking some time off punching, but still am working through everything. I am the type of person that rather spend 4 hours in the gym and not eat that clean, but I need to eat perfect for awhile and workout an hour or two. I don't necessarily eat horrible, but even too much of healthy food isn't good!
    Stay Strong, keep going!