Holiday Rides

Options
EvilPink
EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
Who's got one planned and where you heading? I'm taking a ride out to Bodega Bay, CA. It'll be about 300 miles round trip with a stop at The Tides Restaurant (where The Birds was filmed) and maybe a walk on the beach before heading home. The rest of the holiday weekend will be spent with family and catching a ball game. The hard part will be fighting off the temptation of the mass amount of BBQ and stadium food that will surely be in surplus! Hopefully those calorie calculators for rides are correct, lol.

Replies

• debloves2ride
    debloves2ride Posts: 386
    Options
    unfortunately I live in North Florida and we were hammered this weekend with that storm - yuck. kind of put a cramp in our plans. Hope you had a great ride - I love that area out there and 300 miles is a nice ride!
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I actually avoid riding on holidays. Because of the area (Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smokey Mtns National Park are) traffic is so heavy it's a pain. Not to mention there is always a heavy-handed police force out, and my bike is highly visible/audible. I just don't risk it, since I'm not good at obeying speed limits.

JM
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    No storms here and gorgeous weather. Sorry you didn't get the same. It's actually kind of odd for us to be only in the low 70s; usually by now we're well into the 90s. I usually avoid holidays too because a lot of the local riding spots get very crowded; man, I can't even imagine what the Parkway and the Gap look like over Memorial and Labor Days. I don't blame you for staying in. But, even worse, people drinking and driving is my main reason for skipping the holiday rides. But, I haven't been riding much so I really want to get out again while I had the chance. I was pleasantly surprised. We hit the superslab for the first 60ish miles and it was a bit crazy Saturday morning with some stop and go traffic of all the locals trying to head out of town to Tahoe or San Francisco for the weekend but after that it opened up and we were on our way and all routes were surprisingly quiet the rest of the trip.

I did break down in Santa Rosa though =( Dead battery. I have AMA roadside but they had over an hour wait time. Fortunately, there was a Cycle Gear less than a mile up the road so the spousal unit went up there, they had a battery in stock, and he did a roadside install and we were on our way before the tow ever arrived. But, wasted about 45 minutes of ride time.

Other than that mishap, was a good day. Made it out to the Bay, road a bit of the Pacific Coast Highway and had a pretty enjoyable day.