Middle of night eating ?

Options
I seem to always wake up in the middle of the night wantin something sweet and indulge does any one else have this problem? It ruins my whole day doing this :(

Replies

• helen8297
    helen8297 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Get yourself out of the habit.

I have a glass of squash (if you are american you wont know what it is, - its a bit like crystal light without the sugary taste etc, a bit like a light fruit drink - v refreshing) I just have a few gulps of that and go back to sleep xx
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've never had this problem myself, but I've heard that it happens to a LOT of people. I've heard and read that you should have something healthy mostly prepared so if you do have to go for something in the middle of the night, it's really easy to grab something healthy.

14877786.png
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    nothing wakes me :-)
  • rockinrelish27
    rockinrelish27 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I wake up at least once in the night to get a drink and debate if i should snack.... then turn around and go back to bed or get something like a mini cucumber or grapes
  • DarinGettingHawtin2013
    DarinGettingHawtin2013 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm with @bumble. You need to break the cycle. It may have to start with stocking the fridge with ok alternatives - instead of ice cream, a low-fat pudding cup. Instead of chocolates, the skinny-cow dreamy clusters candies. Fruit, yogurt, things you think might satisfy the sweet craving without making you feel like you've already lost the day before it's even begun!

Hang in there. Remember you're not alone, and we're here for you.
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My problem is when I get home from work. I will just start eating. and not even think about it until I feel stuffed. I am working on figuring out why I am doing this. I think I am just too hungry, so I now pack a car snack for on my way home. That way when I get home I am not super hungry. Sometimes however I think it is habit.

You need to look at the why for you. Are you hungry? Is is a habit? Are you thirsty? Maybe you need to eat a filling snack before you go to bed, or keep a glass of water next to you. If is is a habit then it might be harder to break. We get very trapped in those bad habits. I know I can ruin a whole day of healthy eating in about 5 mins. ugh
  • Jennilynncoco
    Options
    thanks for all the responses!! i do think it is a habit and i am going to try and break it, if i can quit smoking cold turkey im sure this will be much easier im going to start out tonight by keeping a bottle of water next to me since i get up usually because i am thirsty and it leads to me wanting a snack. ill keep you all posted thanks for the good advice =)
  • boweed70
    boweed70 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My problem is when I get home from work. I will just start eating. and not even think about it until I feel stuffed. I am working on figuring out why I am doing this. I think I am just too hungry, so I now pack a car snack for on my way home. That way when I get home I am not super hungry. Sometimes however I think it is habit.

You need to look at the why for you. Are you hungry? Is is a habit? Are you thirsty? Maybe you need to eat a filling snack before you go to bed, or keep a glass of water next to you. If is is a habit then it might be harder to break. We get very trapped in those bad habits. I know I can ruin a whole day of healthy eating in about 5 mins. ugh

I hear ya! I used to do a lot of "after work bingeing" too. I started eating a healthy snack right before leaving work so I don't arrive home with a desire to ravage the peanut butter jar. It definitely helped me. The peanut butter lasts a lot longer now ;)
  • boweed70
    boweed70 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the responses!! i do think it is a habit and i am going to try and break it, if i can quit smoking cold turkey im sure this will be much easier im going to start out tonight by keeping a bottle of water next to me since i get up usually because i am thirsty and it leads to me wanting a snack. ill keep you all posted thanks for the good advice =)

I'm glad someone mentioned drinking water. I started drinking a cold glass of water upon first waking in the morning and having a glass of water in the middle of the night should something wake me up. It's the little changes in mindset that seem to be working for me. If you can quit smoking cold turkey, you can truly do anything!
  • DarinGettingHawtin2013
    DarinGettingHawtin2013 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yep, I did the "after work" binge. For me, it starts with, "Oh, it was a terrible, stressful day. I had to do a lot. I had to pick up the slack for so many other people. I deserve to treat myself. Boy, wouldn't something decadent taste really awesome right now. Like ice cream. Or bacon. Or pizza. Or pizza with bacon, then ice cream. Wait, is Bojangles still open? I think they make sausage gravy all day."

Srsly, guys. That's the internal monologue, except less well spoken.

I'm trying to be more aware of my actual motivation for eating.... and it's eye-opening!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Fortunately nothing wakes me except the trip or 2 to release some of the water I consumed during the day. I exercise right before bed and exercise seems to reduce my appetite for a few hours after it. I sleep fairly soundly through the night.

For the after work snackers, be sure you're snacking enough during the day. Between the time I wake and the time I leave work, I've had breakfast, 2 snacks and lunch. I eat a mid-morning snack (e.g. apple with peanut butter) and a mid-afternoon snack (100 cal popcorn or a chocolate pudding cup). I pack one extra calorie-controlled snack for the ride home (fruit cup, cereal bar or pudding cup most times). So I rarely get ravenous at work. I also drink at least one glass of green tea per day. It's a great appetite suppressant.
  • Jennilynncoco
    Options
    last night i made a protein shake before bed as a little snack, What a difference it made!! i did wake up in the middle of the night but i did not snack on anything maybe this may be the trick.... :)