12 year old wants his ears pierced.

Options
2»

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to let kids make their own decisions and learn from their mistakes. I wanted to get my ear pierced for a while when I was little, but the minute my dad said it was ok I suddenly lost interest.

But you're the mom, if you can think of a good reason then just say no. He'll probably grow out of it in a short time anyway. And yeah, I think boys look pretty stupid with their ears pierced.

You're gonna let a 12 year old make his own decisions?

I mean, it's not serious (the earring) really, but that mentality is what's wrong with kids these days. They don't learn from their mistakes, then their parents bail them out and tell them it's ok, don't do it again. Which they do.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    He's 12, not even a teenager. He doesn't make the decisions yet. YOU ARE THE PARENT/ADULT! You should make the decisions for him at this age.

My brother "gave in" to his oldest sons demand when he was a youngen and always thought - what's the big deal? Well, 8 years later, after the kid dropped out of school, been arrested, OD'd twice due to drugs, ran out on the home, stole money and a car from his own father...my brother looked back and told me "I should have just said NO!"

Now, that doesn't even come close to happening to all children...not by a long shot. But the point I was trying to make was that at a young age, you establish a precedent that your child has more control than you.

He'll be an adult a lot longer than he'll be a kid. Let him be a kid and when he gets to be an adult, he can make those decisions for himself.

That's just me. I guess I've seen the ugly side of letting a kid get what he always wants, that's all.

My mom gave into me getting my belly button pierced at 13.... I went through a bad "youth" time like most do. But I finished school, don't drink, don't smoke, has had a full time job for 3 years, going to school, and own my own place and car... so yah, it doesnt always end up that way...

I say let him. Its a piercing. and now a days, its really not a big deal
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    He's a male... No deal.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I told him that when he can walk in and do it on his own to have at it .. but he is not going down without a fight .. lol. I just don't know if I am being rediculous.

To me, if you would let your 12 year old daughter get hers pierced then yes, you should let him do it. But if it's not a matter of gender, and just age, then you have every right to put your foot down.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Irrespective of my personal views on this, is he allowed to wear earrings/studs/piercings to school? If not, that's a very simple 'no' - he'd have to wear a stud/s for at least six weeks full-time to allow the piercing to heal, so if it's going to be a problem at school...

Also, is he responsible/mature enough to take care of the piercing properly and make sure it doesn't get infected? If not, that's another very good reason for a no-go, to me. Scar tissue and keloids on a growing child can be a big problem, requiring serious medical intervention to ameliorate.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to let kids make their own decisions and learn from their mistakes. I wanted to get my ear pierced for a while when I was little, but the minute my dad said it was ok I suddenly lost interest.

But you're the mom, if you can think of a good reason then just say no. He'll probably grow out of it in a short time anyway. And yeah, I think boys look pretty stupid with their ears pierced.

You're gonna let a 12 year old make his own decisions?

I mean, it's not serious (the earring) really, but that mentality is what's wrong with kids these days. They don't learn from their mistakes, then their parents bail them out and tell them it's ok, don't do it again. Which they do.
    :laugh: Children don't learn from their mistakes? Gotcha.
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    I told him that when he can walk in and do it on his own to have at it .. but he is not going down without a fight .. lol. I just don't know if I am being rediculous.

To me, if you would let your 12 year old daughter get hers pierced then yes, you should let him do it. But if it's not a matter of gender, and just age, then you have every right to put your foot down.

Thank you for saying that. I actually agree with that. This is the part I was struggling with! Like I said before, I am not letting him do it, but .. I feel like I am being hypocritical. I would let my daughter, if I had one, get her ears done at this age.
  • The_Iron
    The_Iron Posts: 288
    Options
    Boys getting their ears pierced is really nothing nowadays. But since it's something he wants pretty bad, make him earn it.