Therapy?

Options
adamb83
adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
I'm wondering if anyone out there has been in or is currently participating in therapy/counseling? (Please feel free NOT to respond to this thread - it's a private/sensitive thing, I know, so if you want to message me instead, that's great!)

I have never been to a therapist/psychologist and haven't really ever felt the need. I've always been one of those who see only the negative stigmas of visiting "Shrinks” (it's for the weak-minded, the insane, the self-involved, etc).

But it's been about a year now that I've been on a weight loss and wellness journey - getting physically stronger, taking better care of myself, making conscious decisions about what I eat, etc. I've discovered that, somehow, I'm also paying much more attention to myself and my feelings in general - and realizing that there might be a lot of things I could work on. Goals I always give up on, financial troubles I keep getting into, despite knowing better, etc.

I've heard that some therapists can help with goal planning, self-confidence/self-awareness through meditation, etc. I kind of want to start seeing someone - it'd be nice to have someone to talk through all these changes with (since I am going through so many life changes... not just the health thing, but recently engaged, going back to school for my Ph.D., etc).

Do people find it worth it, though? And how do I find a therapist who might work well with me? How do I locate someone who is open and experienced with the LGBT population?

If anyone has any thoughts on this.... I'd love to connect. Totally out of my element, here.

(And, again - please feel free to message me directly).

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Therapy can be a very good and useful thing. Yes, there are therapists that help you self-motivate, set goals, and find ways to achieve them.

I was in therapy for a number of years. For a specific disorder and the events that caused it. Saved my life getting therapy.

The great thing is...if you don't like the first (or second, third, etc) therapist you meet, you can look for another. It's important to find one experienced in what you're looking for help with, and that the two of you fit well together.

As for how to find one. If you have any friends who can recommend one, it's a place to start.

If where you live has a "yellow pages" for the LBGT+ community, look there.

You can also try this link:

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/
  • woodsk67
    woodsk67 Posts: 88
    Options
    I have and its terrific to have a neutral party that you can talk too. There is nothing wrong with reaching out to talk to someone and it does help you see more clearly.
  • aussiegirl1990
    aussiegirl1990 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have never been to a therapist/psychologist and haven't really ever felt the need. I've always been one of those who see only the negative stigmas of visiting "Shrinks” (it's for the weak-minded, the insane, the self-involved, etc).

I thought the very same thing about going on to medication to control my anxiety. It took me 4 months before Danni, my shrink, managed to get me to try it. I hated myself for it at first because I thought it made me weak and I was disgusted with myself.

I was being treated for UPTS (Untreated Post-Trumatic Stress) that was caused by 4 seperate attacked within 5 months. I started being home schooled instead of going to high school because I ended up having a break down there. I was fine until 2010 when something happened. I couldn't even get out of bed somedays I was so anxious, couldn't eat, I couldn't even leave my bedroom sometimes.

I honestly believe that if I didn't speak to my Dr about what was happening and she didn't draw up a health care plan I would be stuck inside for another 3 years like last time.

For me it was something that needed to be done. I wasn't very comfortable at first but I came to be. He helped me a lot. If this is something you need to do maybe speak to your Dr first and see if they can offer you help in finding someone suitable.
  • chloe42
    chloe42 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Therapy is a great tool if you want to use it. When I started my coming out and transition I really needed help finding my way out of the 20 year fog I had been living in. Having a neutral party to listen and bounce my own words off me shook me to the core a few times. Therapy really helped me, but I found that a yoga and meditation class really increased my focus on self care.
    I would try either one, but the key is to want to do it, not because you should.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    therapy is a tool. and it can be an invaluable one. i was in therapy for many years and now, as i'm working on that "better me" thing, i'm thinking about going again. don't let the old stereotypes bog you down; it's a third party to talk to, someone outside the situation, who can spot patterns and give insights. past generations used the local priest/pastor/rabbi/healer in this role, some ppl use the bartender - friends are too close to it - but ppl have always needed a third party to give an outside view.

interview them. talk to them. there's no rule that seeing a therapist once means that's who you're locked into. check Angie's List - yeah, they're on there - and ck w/ your insurance company to see who is covered in your area. have the first meeting be a "this is what i want" from you and a "this is how i work" from them. if you click, then that's awesome.
  • crownedone
    crownedone Posts: 16
    Options
    I saw a counselor for many years in the context of Christianity and squelching my gayness and saving my marriage. I am now divorced and no longer consider myself Christian and, amazingly, still gay. In that sense, counseling wasn't very effective. However, in a certain other sense it was effective in showing me things about myself. As long as the reasons for going and the goals are realistic, it can be very effective. It is very important, though, to have a connection with your counselor. If you don't feel a connection within a couple of sessions, that is probably not the counselor for you. Doesn't mean he/she is not a good counselor, just not the one for you. Congratulations on your journey. You have obviously worked very hard to get where you are.