How to motivate your husband to want to be healthy

Options
I am noticing a lot of you have husbands that go for walks with you etc. Mine is always too busy or too tired. He also has no interest in eating healthy & always has temptations around. How have some of you ladies dealt with this dilema??? :grumble:

Cheers
Jeanine Giorgi (:

Replies

• seguess
    seguess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Initially, my husband didn't participate in my efforts to get healthy. He is 6'2" and weighs about 160. He has been wearing the same size pants for the entire 15 years we've been married. He eats whatever he wants and doesn't gain an ounce. When he started to see my results with increased strength and activity, then I think he got a little competitive. :) The first time I asked him to go bike riding with me, he said no. So I went anyway. The second time I asked, he said yes. So maybe ask your hubby to come along with you on a walk. If he says no, go anyway. Eventually he'll probably say yes.

I will say, though, that my husband eats whatever I cook. I do not make 2 meals. So in a way, I'm forcing him to eat better. :smile:
  • jeenim
    jeenim Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi

My husband is also tall and lean and I'm always incredibly jealous of him eating whatever he wants.
    I also just cook healthy and he eats it - but then he eats a few vegemite sandwiches, yoghurt, chocolate... as well!

A couple of years ago I gave him a 6 week personal training voucher at the gym for a gift and after it ran out he has been still going all this time - he has actually got pretty fit. He doesn't like walking with me because basically I think it is a bit boring(!) but we go cycling together sometimes with the kids.

Maybe tell him some time that you are kidnapping him for all day Sunday - he has to be ready to go at 9 am and will be back at 5 - so he doesn't plan anything else. Have a (healthy) picnic ready and take him for a really long bushwalk or bikeride or....???

Jeeni xx
  • JeanineGiorgi
    Options
    wow they are good ideas. I will try them & see how I go. Thx ladies (:
  • Dot2Dots
    Dot2Dots Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My husband is also on the tall and lean side.( 6'3", 160-165lbs.) and he enjoys good food ! I changed my way of cooking for him, I will only "fry" his beloved chicken once a week. I always serve a nice veggie with dinner and have been putting more fruit in his lunchbox.

I try to lead by example however I can't force him to do anything that he doesn't want to do either. He does go for walks with me and when he does he feels better. He has never been the athletic type but he always encourages me to do what makes me happy!

I would just keeping on asking if he would like to join you in whatever exercise/sport you are doing, he may just say yes ! I wouldn't hound him though, that might push him further back.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hello-
    My husband is one of those guys that grew up in a family that didn't eat healthy. I am talking about not one stinking vegetable anywhere. And, it shows, because most of his family is ill from one thing or another (all relating to the fact that they eat nothing but poor quality meat and white flour based products). I agree with MIHooper, you have to lead by example. My hubby has learned to stay away from fried foods and stick to grilled which I am just estatic over. I make sure I provide tupperwear containers filled with grilled meats (chicken and turkey) for him to take to work. He has already lost 7 lbs and has more energy during the day. I can't convince him to eat veggies, fine, but he is making better meat choices.
  • JeanineGiorgi
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I am showing I am a bad wife!!! My poor dear is lucky to get a cup of coffee from me each day. Hmnn I think I had better get my cookbooks out & start being a bit more proactive with him. All you ladies have shown me it can be done. Almost got him to go cycling last weekend but something came up & that was it. Having said that he did service our bikes. So there is always this weekend!! Yes I need to certainly rethink this whole way of lifestyle. For example tonight he had an apple pie & icecream even though I said no!! Problem is he goes to the shop & buys it all & puts it in the freezer. My logic is dont buy it you wont be tempted. Mine actually likes his veggies but problem is he is one walking talking food garbage disposal unit!! People say you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink!!

Thanks everyone for giving me some inspirations & ideas (: