Newbie - long-term depression

Options
missrat
missrat Posts: 37 Member
Hi, I'm Ann, aged 66, in the UK, with 40lb to lose. I suffer from dysthymia, with frequent depressive exacerbations. I've had a wide variety of medications, and the current one is the best I've had, so I feel 'normal' for quite a lot of the time.

I find my pets (see user name, plus a Syrian hamster) a great comfort - I call them my 'Angels with whiskers!' I also find journalling helpful, and writing poetry (mainly Christian), but have problems with loneliness.

Replies

• lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Hello Ann :flowerforyou: I'm also from the UK. I read your profile, it's great your pets are such a comfort to you. I wonder if you may feel less lonely if you also had more human contact. Are there people in your life you can talk to? If not, how would you feel about finding some? Your health problem may limit what you can do, but there may be help available to get out to some community groups via Age Concern or other similar organisations they can tell you about.

Journaling is a wonderful way of expressing feelings and will be a great help with working through the low mood when you have it. If you have lost people close to you, you may want to try addressing sections of your journal to them. Some people find this helps keep a sense of connection to their loved ones when they are gone as they feel their love for them once more and this sometimes helps with feelings of loneliness.

Even though you feel lonely, your never totally alone, Ann. There are people out there to share things with, who will care, it's just hard to find them sometimes.
  • missrat
    Options
    I meet quite a few people from church, but most are young families or very elderly. I also do volunteering at the library - Mondays two hours supervising the computers (web wizard) and Thursday two hours archiving.

I then meet quite a lot of people to do with rat shows, and am starting judge training.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Ooh how exciting about the judge training that sounds really interesting, well done you. :smile:

I had pet rats (hooded and albino) in my teens, they are truly beautiful creatures despite their reputation. I have a 3' fish tank with tropical fish for the last few years but always say if I get bored with the fish then rats or a lizard will live in there. lol My hubby is not keen on the rats idea but then he wasn't keen about our dogs and loves them now! I own 2 dogs, a cat and a new forest pony too.

I am Jane by the way, I live in Wales UK and have been newly diagnosed with Presmenstrual Dysphoric disorder. I am 'fine' most of the month but for a bit of anxiety and then my cycle changes all that for me. I have deep depression etc, I won't go into it too much here.

I'm up with insomnia tonight (it's 4.40am now).

Hope you are keeping well, I can highly recommend a dog as great company for getting out walking - you're never alone. :)
  • missrat
    Options
    Welcome, Jane

PMDD must be lousy. I was lucky to escape that, but had endometriosis, which gave me a lot of pain. The menopause was very welcome.

Wales sounds a lovely place - I'd like to visit Nicholaston House, on the Gower peninsula

Having been feeling much better, I'm having a major setback with depression at the moment. There a number of things involved - loneliness, a virus, this hot weather, problems with a former friend who seems to have cut me off, and the loss of two of my rats. Dika was old and was 'on borrowed time', but suddenly deteriorated one night and had to make a one-way visit to the vet the next day. Lightning was quite young and healthy, but was found dead - possibly two days before, and I felt very guilty. I', also treating my three rat kittens for lice - they didn't appreciate a bath today!

I hope all is going well for you.

Best wishes
    Ann
  • linder115
    linder115 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi, i'm a Newbie too! :)
    Its great to see that you have things that bring you joy. I just recentley figured out that I need to take more time to make myself happy. While my pets drive me crazy LOL, I do love to garden and read and go for long drives.