STARVING STARVING STARVING

Options
schmoozie26
schmoozie26 Posts: 63 Member
Hi Everyone! I'm new to the group! Been doing a lot of reading but haven't had much time to post yet. I'm wondering though...does anyone feel like they are hungry ALL THE TIME! I feel like I eat all day long...literally some days. I've had like 75 g of protein today roughly and I am still starving! I'm trying to track, but by doing this, feel like I'm starving my baby :( After supper I'll have eaten almost 1800 calories, seriously should not be hungry. I dunno what to do. I'm EDD is 01/21/13. I'm 6wks2d.
Any opinions or helpful information would be great!

Replies

• cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    From my past experiences (2 boys), this is an early pregnancy phase. I have found that drinking more water helps with the hunger. Of course, this time around I had morning sickness so I am just now getting back to eating. Don't worry, it will slow down.
  • katkada
    katkada Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!! Im at 27 weeks pregnant and very early on I felt so hungry. I think that this will definitely fluctuate with your pregnancy. Drinking at least 8-10 cups of water definitely helps with the hunger all throughout your pregnancy. I personally try to shoot for 10 cups just because that helps with my hunger so much. I would talk with your doctor when you visit them next to see how many calories you should be eating because it is difefrent for a certain weight and at a certain time for your pregnancy so just talk to your doctor about whats the perfect calorie intake for you.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Weeks 7-9 I ate non-stop. There was no satisfying the hunger. I even got up for (healthy) snacks in the middle of the night a few times! I'm now 18w2d and every now and then I have a super hungry day. I just think of it as a baby growth spurt. :laugh: I try not to go over my calories, but if I'm hungry I'm hungry, I'm not going to let myself or my baby starve. I just try to make sure I'm eating healthy and not eat too much junk.
  • schmoozie26
    Options
    Thanks for your responses! I hope the hunger subsides somewhat! :)
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I also understand, I was ravenous in the first trimestser and almost always ate over my calories, many days by 500 or more. But I didn't feel like it was the time to ignore my body. It was gotten better in the second trimester and I have been able to stick with my calories. I think my body needed at least most of it. I gained about 4-5lbs in the 1st, kind of on the high end, but I felt with the way I was eating it should have been at least 10! Hang in there and listen to your body :)
  • schmoozie26
    Options
    Looks like I get to just keep eating! YaHoo! :)
  • Schuyler
    Schuyler Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm always starving during my pregnancies, especially in the first trimester. I'm thankful for no morning sickness, but not for the extra pounds I inevitably put on because I have to eat every hour. Try filling foods with lots of protein and fiber. Apples with peanut butter, cheese and whole wheat crackers, etc. And I agree..drink lots of water!
  • dq1479
    dq1479 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, interesting I am the opposite of most of you. In my first tri for both pregnancies I had no appetite but once the second tri hit I could throw back food all day and my stomach will still growl. HA!

Schmoozie - def eat - but what helped me is upping my calories. I stayed steady at 1400-1600 calories my first tri but had to move them up to maintain what my body was telling me. That way you can track and EAT but you are still getting everything down in your diary. I have found that even when I go over the fact that I made the effort to track helps me a lot!

The best advice I got with my first son is a midwife told me to listen to my body not my brain. Your body will always tell you what you and your baby need. It really is true! :)
  • MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was also really hungry during my first tri, i'm at 14 weeks now and it's slowed down alot.. I ate like 2000 calories a day (my maintenance) and I actually lost a pound.. sometimes I even went over.. I do walk mostly every day and drink all my water though.. hope it helps!
  • schmoozie26
    Options
    1400-1600....I wish. I have a hard time staying between 1800 and 2000! mmmmm, Apples and peanut butter. Good one! I'll have to do that cuz my little apples aren't cutting it! :) Bad nausea today....not feeling good. This is really the first time since I found out.
  • dq1479
    dq1479 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1400-1600....I wish. I have a hard time staying between 1800 and 2000! mmmmm, Apples and peanut butter. Good one! I'll have to do that cuz my little apples aren't cutting it! :) Bad nausea today....not feeling good. This is really the first time since I found out.
    Well I was at 1400 to 1600 bc I was throwing up all day long from 4 weeks to 13 weeks and the thought of food was horrible. HA! I throw back about 2100 calories easily these days!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I Literally HATE food these days but I am required to eat a crap load of carbs to get rid of nausea. If I dont eat a lot of carbs I feel sooo sick. So I eat carbs like a maniac. Lol. And of course the extra carbs are affecting the scale even though I don't go over calories and I exercise daily. Can't wait til I don't have to eat soo many carbs anymore. I guess I gotta do what I gotta do, cause honestly, I rather gain weight than feel sick to my stomach.
  • schmoozie26
    Options
    I feel like I need to eat carbs just so I don't feel hungry!!! I'll snack on fruits and veggies and that just makes me MORE hungry, so then I have to eat something else. What I'd like to sit down and eat is a family size bag of DORITOS!!!! :happy:

Funny dq1479 :smile: at least you got to wait till the 2nd trimester to start eating like crazy!!! Would definitely not want to be sick like that though.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    ya I didn't get this nausea until I literally turned 7 weeks. LOL. Before I had it a little, but it went away on and off throughout the day. Now its a daily thing if I don't eat any carbs(aka bread, pasta, beans) . I wonder if this little one will be a boy cause this pregnancy is quite different than it was with my daughter.
  • katkada
    katkada Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I completely agree even if you go over keep track because you'll be amazed that you would still eat less than if you didn't keep track just because you went over.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I tracked and restricted the whole first trimester but I still gained. I think it was all the carbs, or maybe I still underestimated my intake. My weight gain slowed down naturally as the pregnancy progressed even though I was pretty hungry in the 3rd trimester. Now i go back and forth between hungry and hating food.

If you're not having aversions then increase the fruits, veggies, fats, and proteins. At least 100g of protein with satisfying fat. One of my favorite satisfaction meals pre-preg was a stirfry with tons of meats and vegetables. Been struggling with choking down my veggies since pregnancy started so I've been sticking with salads and such, but that's what I WOULD eat if I could
  • ajelove
    ajelove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm so hungry all the time with this pregnancy, but everything is making me sick. I'm about 6 weeks too, so I thought this was odd as I did not get the munchies until my second trimester last pregnancy.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am about 12 weeks pregants and have been starving for the past 5 weeks. I dont go over on my calories EVER and have still gained about 10-12 lbs. Since we are not supoose to restrict our diet and should be eating at maintenance i would say as long as you dont eat over maintenance dont worry about it.

I have been hearing stories that some people gain alot of weight early on then dont gain much in the second and third trimester ( dare i hope I am one of them??)

Just hang in there and eat if you are hungry, your body must be telling you something