Federal DOMA ruled unconstitutional by fed appeals

EvanKeel
EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
Onto the supreme court!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/doma-unconstitutional-ruling-appeals-court-boston_n_1559031.html

It looks like the ruling is more focused on states where federal benefits are being denied when a same-sex marriage is legal in a specific state. But it's something.

Replies

• Actorguy1
    Actorguy1 Posts: 6 Member
    Every step counts!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    It's an important ruling. The core of the law is the problem and I'm glad they knocked it down. Assuming it holds at the Supreme Court, it helps define us as a "class" that can't be discriminated against. That should help down the line in overturning state bans.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    it's an important step. bring on the next hurdle, i still have feeling in my petition-signing hand.
  • owndbycatz
    owndbycatz Posts: 90 Member
    The only part of DOMA that is being challenged in the current court cases, including this one in the 1st Circuit Court of Appeals, is Section 3 - the part that says the federal government can't recognize marriages of same sex couples. Therefore, the lawsuits all involve couples who are (or were, in the case of widows/widowers) considered married in the state in which they reside.

As such, these cases don't challenge state laws that restrict marriage to different sex couples. There are other cases doing that, just not the DOMA cases.

The significance of this case -- or really, set of cases -- out of Massachusetts is that this is the first time DOMA has been held unconstitutional by an Appeals Court. Prior to this, all the rulings have come from federal district courts, the lowest level court in the federal system.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    The only part of DOMA that is being challenged in the current court cases, including this one in the 1st Circuit Court of Appeals, is Section 3 - the part that says the federal government can't recognize marriages of same sex couples. Therefore, the lawsuits all involve couples who are (or were, in the case of widows/widowers) considered married in the state in which they reside.

As such, these cases don't challenge state laws that restrict marriage to different sex couples. There are other cases doing that, just not the DOMA cases.

The significance of this case -- or really, set of cases -- out of Massachusetts is that this is the first time DOMA has been held unconstitutional by an Appeals Court. Prior to this, all the rulings have come from federal district courts, the lowest level court in the federal system.

And yet, given that I'm in WA and waiting to see whether or not my marriage will become legal in November, I'm curious to know when I can stop doing ridiculous things to my income taxes because of DOMA :)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Drip, drip, drip.
  • owndbycatz
    owndbycatz Posts: 90 Member
    Today, the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group (BLAG) filed a notice of appeal in Windsor v. USA, the case that was just decided a couple of days ago. This is the formal notice to the district court that issued the opinion that BLAG is appealing the ruling to the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals. BLAG is the group from the U.S. House of Representatives that has hired outside counsel to defend DOMA in these cases following the Dept. of Justice's notification that it will no longer defend DOMA in court.

This will be the first time that a DOMA case has reached the appeals level in this circuit. I'm looking forward to another defeat for DOMA and it won't be long now (at least by litigation standards) before these cases finally reach the Supreme Court.