Finally, there are others like me!

Options
You have no idea how excited I am to find you guys!!! :)

A little about me, I'm 27/f 5'8. I had gastric bypass surgery (Roux-en-y) on 12/14/04 at the ripe young age of 19. I weighed 350 that morning. Due to insurance reasons I was required to get the procedure with an open incision, instead of laproscopically. So I have a 7 inch scar down my stomach, and remained in the hospital for 5 days. I lost a lot of weight, over the course of the next year and a half, I got down to 185. And then I lost sight of what I was doing, lets be real I got lazy. I turned 21 and acted like a typical college kid (even though my body thought otherwise) I got the first boyfriend I had ever had, and landed myself a pretty kick *kitten* job. I got so wrapped up in the life I was living, and comfortable, that my diet and exercise habits went out the window. Fast forward to the beginning of April, I looked in the mirror and saw "the old" fat me! I was horrified, stepped on the scale, and it said 235! I was pissed at the scale and more so pissed at myself! Since then I have been really focusing on my diet, and getting back into the routine and habits that I was initially taught after having the surgery. I have dropped down to 219, as of Monday. I want to get myself back on track and get my body better and right. My friends and family are amazing, and I love them dearly. However none of them have had gastric bypass, while some of them are big and know what its like to be fat and try to diet, they don't understand what its like to have gastric bypass and what its like to now reverse the damage I have done since getting it done.

Sorry this is so long, just wanted to let you all know there is a newbie here, and that I am so excited to find wls support! :)

Replies

• swampymoo
    swampymoo Posts: 14
    Options
    Tara,

Welcome, I am new here too.

I can really identify what you are saying. I had an open RYN too and my scar runs top belly button to just below where my bra sits. Really pretty it is too.

I agree that it RYN can be a lonely place to be and most people have lap bands. I am tired of Doctors thinking I have a band, a completely different situation.

I dont regret it but I have lost my way and are working on finding it again.

If you would like encouragement and support just make me a friend and we can motivate each other. Thats what I am hoping to get from this site.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • GwendolynKay1
    Options
    I just joined this week and just found this Group tonight! I am so excited!

I had Open RNY in April of 2002 ( just celebrated my 10 year anniversary). I lost 110 pounds but have gained about 50 back in the last 3 years. I still feel my pouch is working - - I'm just not doing what I am supposed to! I graze a lot, drink with meals, don't eat protein first, etc. I'm sure you all know what I am talking about!

I am trying to lose 40-50 pounds between now and October/November (In October I am going on a cruise and in November I will be turning 50!!)

I have never been one to exercise, even right after my surgery and when the weight was dropping off! I feel I need to add this to my life now, not only for the added weight loss benefits but just for the health benefits of exercise as you age!

I am looking foward to being motivated and inspired by you all, and hope I can provide some inspiration along the way as well.

Thanks for being here!

Gwendolyn
  • JustLena75
    JustLena75 Posts: 114
    Options
    Keep it up...it can be done! I had RNY in 2004 as well...I did very well for several years (even after having a kid), and then over the last couple of years got into slacker mode. I have about 6 more lbs to lose of the 22 I wanted to be rid of...
  • theresasbaby
    Options
    I had VSG (vertical sleeve gastronomy) March of 2011. All went well, diabetes gone etc. and somewhere in September I was freaking because of the mega hair loss and I started adding calories (not volume) to my diet to try to stop the loss of any more hair. Well it stopped, and the cycle of gaining began. I was 157 and now I'm 175 and it's so hard to stop the HEAD from wanting. I will continue to work on this one and I hope we all reach our goals! I want to reach 135. and even more than that I want to stay there, that will be the biggest challenge! We aren't alone!
  • Itakecareofme2
    Itakecareofme2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm happy also to find this group. I had lap band surgery and I've regained my weight back. Getting on board with the needed lifestyle change has been a problem for me. I seriously need this group support and encouragement.
  • clf1960
    clf1960 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I also had a lot of problems with hair loss, and I was told to try Biotin. I did find that it helped, so you might want to give it a try.
  • on2anewme
    on2anewme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also had a bypass. Not regretting it for a second, however I started falling back into old habits again too.
    Working on finding my way again, and looking for friends to support, and be supportive too! Please feel free to add me as a friend.

We've done this once, we will do it again! Maybe even learn a better way this time and do it for life!

Debbie, aka on2anewme